Sign in to follow this  
Kichi

Painting Skill

PAINTING SKILL

Summary:

The painting skill could be used to create custom housing decorations with the extra benefit of image customization, along with premade images.  By using a “print screen” ability it can temporarily save an image of your screen in the game so you can apply it to a canvas.

The concept of Art is something that almost everyone is interested in.  The ability to create your “own” art from an experience you have had in Wurm Online will be a powerful tool in nostalgia and overall customization.

How will it work?

• You can create an Easel.  The easel can be improved with the carpentry skill. The estimated materials needed could be (6 shafts, 1 wooden beam, and 4 small nails).  It would use wood improvement tools for imping and give carpentry experience on improving.  The Easel should work as a container that will only hold ONE canvas. 

• The canvas can be made with papyrusmaking.  The canvas quality would not hold any difference in how it would affect the image or skill. A canvas could be created using 4 shafts and X amount of paper.

• A Paint Brush will also need to be implemented.  A paint brush can be created using a reed pen with wemp fibre.  Unlike the Easel and Canvas, The paint brush quality will work as an improvement tool, so the quality of the paint brush will have the basic improvement success rate depending on the quality of the Paint Brush.  Imping the paint brush will use Wood improvement tools and should give Fine Carpentry skill gain when improved.

Painting and Quality

• An action should be created that will capture a “memory” of your current client. That will allow you to start painting a custom image.  The image location should remain temporary so you can not put in your own images into the wurm folder to create ‘out of world’ images.

• The image will appear on the canvas but at lower quality, the image will be heavily distorted.  As you ‘improve’ the image will become more detailed. (Please see images below as example)

• Painting will require a new set of improving tools. Painting brush, square piece of cloth and metal brush.  However you will need to have Red, Blue and Green paint in your inventory.  Paint amount should be removed as .2kg per improvement action pass or fail. 

• When failing on an improvement action, the painting should not take damage but a quality reduction.  a message would indicate this with,  “you added too much (Color) paint and damaged the painting.”  “The painting was smudged too much and was damaged.”  “You scraped too hard with your metal brush and damaged the painting.”

• Improving event texts could be as followed.  “ You need to touch up some areas with (Color) paint using your paint brush.”    “You see an area you need to smudge with your piece of cloth.”   “ There is some extra paint you could remove using your Metal brush”.

Application

• A Canvas can be removed from the Easel at any Quality.  At the same time, a canvas can be placed back onto the Easel at any time to further improve it.

• A Canvas can be mounted as a wall decoration.

• A painting placed on a canvas will not take decay damage on deed, However will take decay damage while mounted at its normal deed reduced rate.

Example of 10QL painting.

aWLF37SAe1jLocjnw_kkTeZb2qxKMx9Xp9kSktVfiFHYlobeaMqtudvXUdlmXApCCVoF0DkdBpwmNPJGvP8j8TAxM6aLEo9WkDPBEg_FPV3la6XyS0dWg4inmUYGioswwc8O6CZP-155ievvpoU7Yg

Example of higher QL painting.

P9n0HdTu-3GaY6E5FE-qsBRQR6xI163orPo3GZTEHiwf49iRJ5TY8FBazs_DkOCczeVlgkynih1VBZcxQDrRVHvkdekzyO-LNGJUO76lSoj_kNCkzCMmNmgOOROZf7EtS-wVP7wfqKAHsCQON3FJrw

• Like 10
  • Cat 1

I don't know how much this idea will be loved or hated, but.... How about Oils?

Oil Paints are pretty "classic" or "traditional" i guess, and your first example looks like an oil painting, so using oil plus pigment to make an oil paint could be a possibility.

So pigments plus water makes dye in game currently -- and pigments plus oil could make oil paint.

Also, oils are used while painting, of course. For example linseed oil is what I think of immediately but you can use grapeseed oil, poppy oil, walnut oil... I think you can really use any oil.

I definitely wouldn't use the wurm metal brush to scrape off paint on my artwork... maybe scraping paint off a wall lol! But I would use turpentine to thin the paint on artwork, or use another solvent like mineral spirits, but again -- you can use Oil.

Seems like a neat idea overall!

Edited by Lovelie
  • Like 1

That's actually a pretty cool idea :) Couple of questions though:

How big will the "finished" paintings be? I put "finished" as they are impable and take damage, so they'd really never be completely finished. Anyway, once you take the painting off the easel, how large would they be? Obviously not as large as a tapestry, right? Somewhere around the size of a banner or a stone wall window opening maybe? Or are you thinking smaller, like half that size? And they'd have to be in landscape instead of portrait since they come from a print screen.

Second, I'm assuming that since we can't hang things on walls (completely different suggestion that's been suggested before, and let's not get sidetracked) it'd need to be placed on the existing mechanism we have, a Tapestry Stand, shoved into a wall like we do with the displays? Or, maybe have them standing upright like books, but with a slight angle to them, so you'd have to position them on a table against a wall, or on a fireplace maybe? Or maybe have a choice between the two options?

Anyway, like the idea overall.

• Like 1

I like this idea. I agree with using oils to make the paints and a paint pallet could be added to hold the paint colors. A pallet knife and/or oils to remove excess paint would logically make more sense to me but this is wurm . It would be nice to be able to hang the paintings on a walls too. Or at least have display easels. Maybe 90 painting skill would allow painting murals on walls as long as a full paint pallet with brush was activated in the inventory?

• Like 1

I love this idea tbh, it adds a lot of spice to the idea of just taking screenshots and I feel it could be a nice add to to paper making, to make canvas or something instead. I'd adore seeing this in game

Great idea on paper (canvas?) but wouldn't each painting have to become a separate and unique texture? Wouldn't that have to be sent to each client in order to be displayed? I remember the days of creating dozens of huge tubs and other looms for missions and creating lag zones in areas where there were more active mission-doers. What would stop people from making hundreds or thousands of unique textures just for funzies?

Being guilty of hoarding all kinds of things, the update which made identical objects to be loaded once was a godsend.

Could those textures be sent on the fly to the client and stored outside of the already large graphisc.jar? Is that possible?

Or would our clients have to download new graphics.jar every time someone paints a picture?

How would clients in rendering distance deal with a new texture once the painting is completed which they simply don't have, without having to close all clients and running the update?

Edited by Locath