Mareridt

Add an option to disable Steam Rich Presence

I don't think it's a good idea to force this "feature" on everyone using Steam client, since it may be considered an invasion of privacy, especially if you play on a PvP server.

Thanks.

Edit (to prevent people posting random suggestions over and over again):

1. Just go invisible / offline on Steam

There's hundreds of people on my Steam friend list and I want to use every opportunity to advertise the game to them.

Not to mention the ability to chat with my friends while playing the game.
So no, I don't want to go invisible (or offline).

All I want is to prevent potential stalkers to see the name of my character and my server. That's all.

2. It's a Steam thing, not a Wurm thing

Sure, it is a Steam feature, duh. Yet, for some reason Steam client doesn't provide an option to toggle this functionality on and off.

As far as I know it must be done by the game itself (see Crusader Kings II settings menu, or many other games).

3. Limit visibility of your Steam library

Not a solution.

Also, my library is publicly visible for a reason (GOG Galaxy sharing, etc.)

Edited by Mareridt
  • Like 2

Steam already provides this "option" if you don't want people knowing what you're up to you can select the Invisible option on your steam friends list, problem solved.

12 minutes ago, Burdok said:

Steam already provides this "option" if you don't want people knowing what you're up to you can select the Invisible option on your steam friends list, problem solved.

That's not a proper "solution". I don't want to be invisible when playing Wurm. In fact I do want my Steam friends to see that I'm playing Wurm. I just want to hide all the unnecessary details.

The majority of other games on Steam provide an option to turn this feature off. I don't see any reason, why Wurm should be any different.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure it should be fairly simple to implement.

Edited by Mareridt
  • Like 1

Set your game list visibility to private or friends only and it won't display what you're playing to everybody that looks at your profile.

4 minutes ago, Fabricant said:

Set your game list visibility to private or friends only and it won't display what you're playing to everybody that looks at your profile.

Again, not a proper solution (sharing library to GOG Galaxy etc.).

And as I said already, I do want my Steam friends to see that I'm playing Wurm (advertisement).

Edited by Mareridt

I'm pretty sure this is a Steam thing, not a Wurm thing. 

34 minutes ago, Archaed said:

I'm pretty sure this is a Steam thing, not a Wurm thing. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe it's a game related setting.

For example Crusader Kings II has such option in main menu.

ck2-rich-presence.jpg

Fun fact: Paradox added the option after players were complaining.

Edited by Mareridt
  • Like 1

Its never really bothered me tbh, if I'm that worried about people knowing what I'm playing I just go invisible or offline mode on Steam.

Edit: I just want to point out as well that I did read and understand the first post, I'm just happy with the current measures in place and havn't really been desperate for anything further.

Edited by HawkHawk

There is an option for you to appear "offline" to your friends, if you want.  Just have yourself signed out "Friends and Chat" when you play Wurm. You will appear "offline".  You can sign in/out as you desire (bottom right corner).  But in all honesty, there are plenty more cringe inducing games than Wurm on Stream, lol   I have mine set to be always "offline" unless I am playing something I need LAN for.

Maybe edit the OP with why it’s bad, because people still seem oblivious to the actual sensible reason you want that option.(like maybe even a screenshot showing how detailed that info is)

• Like 1

"Steam Rich Presence" looks like this:

0029dfw.png

OP wants to keep their character name and server secret.

But OP still wants to show that they are playing Wurm.

• Like 5

Apologizes to the OP for misunderstanding.  But I am curious now, did Wurm ask for this feature?  I would think that would be the only way for them to be able to tailored how much is revealed.  It is interesting how much using Stream's log-in is different to the stand-alone launcher. "Steam Rich Presence", one hella of a name.  I might have to go see if Steam "enriched" any of my games.

9 hours ago, LionIX said:

Maybe edit the OP with why it’s bad, because people still seem oblivious to the actual sensible reason you want that option.(like maybe even a screenshot showing how detailed that info is)

Yeah, it looks like people don't even bother to read the thread before posting. 😅

Anyway, I thought this part of forums (suggestions) are meant to be read by developers (they should know exactly what I'm talking about), not by players. My bad.

Edited my OP to prevent further misunderstandings. Hopefully.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Mareridt
  • Like 2

This is the QA's "time out room".  It's where they send ppl to talk to other ppl they sent here. 😁

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/enhancedrichpresence?l=english

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/api/ISteamFriends#SetRichPresence

This should be extremely easy to implement, since you already implemented the code to send the rich presence string from a client to Steam.

Just add a flag that would toggle sending an empty string instead.

It doesn't even have to be a new option in the client settings, maybe just an optional command line parameter. Whatever is easier.

Please.