Sign in to follow this  
Omar

hELLO LAG

Anyone else having excessive general game lag the last 5 days or so?

Edit: Cadance mostly, maybe a little on other server too. 

Edited by Omar
  • Like 4

What server are you on? Independence has definitely been having some very noticeable lag. Below are the lag graphs from the server graphs page on the Wurmpedia for Independence, at various time intervals.

The server usually doesn't lag at all, but has started having some significant and noticeable lag issues since around the start of August this year:

WQAYorc.jpg

Zoomed in, you can see roughly when it started getting bad, although from year graph you can see initial lagspikes in the end of June:

sEO2XWc.jpg

Looks like it started getting particularly bad around July 29th (the Friday in Week 30), although there were some anomalous little spikes up until then, e.g. on July 17th in Week 28 and in the end of June (looks like around June 25th.)

The lag seems to be worse at the weekend or in evenings, when more players are on:

e3j3FiO.jpg

The start of the lag doesn't line up with any unique slayings, new patch notes or player events. The lag is probably caused by one of two things. Firstly, it could be hosting issues  - possibly related to the August 7th crash, as Indy was one of the servers that went down that day. Secondly, it could be a recent change (since we got treasure maps a couple of months ago) somehow building up over time and causing lag issues.

• Like 4

Just had a look at all the server graphs pages, and it seems that the following servers are having noticeable increases in the amount of lag they're getting. In brackets are the peak lag amounts in the past 24 hours.

• Independence (24s)
  • Deliverance (12s)
  • Exodus (6s)
  • Celebration (9s)
  • Pristine (9s)
  • Release (36s, probably related to a Kyklops slaying which pushed playercount very high to ~240)
  • Xanadu (9s)
  • Harmony (not nearly as many lag spikes, 3s)
  • Melody (again, not nearly as many, 3s)
  • Cadence (worst affected on NFI, 28s)

Couldn't notice any significant lag on Epic, Chaos or Defiance. Although all seem to have occasional tiny spikes, they could be unrelated to the much wider ranging lag issues other servers are getting (I can't really tell.)

All servers on SFI seem to be worst affected, other than Chaos. Epic doesn't really have any statistically significant lag. NFI is less severely impacted, other than Cadence which looks comparable to the worst examples on SFI. Harmony and Melody have had lag spikes too, but they're a lot less frequent than other lag-affected servers.

It seems two factors correlate with the lag. Firstly, server playercount - the highest pop SFI servers (Indy and Xanadu) are the worst affected, with the lowest pop (Exodus) the least affected. Release had a big chunk of lag yesterday, but that can probably be explained by the Kyklops slaying. Secondly, for some reason, SFI servers are more affected than NFI servers, other than Cadence. The age/location of the map seems to have some impact too.

Some theorycrafting:

Everything is on the same hosting (I think), so it doesn't immediately make sense how NFI servers with higher player counts (excluding Cadence) could have ~3x less lag than SFI servers with a fraction of the playercount (like Cele and Pristine). I wonder if this somehow relates to the age of the server and treasure maps - older servers have more past deeds, guard towers, etc, and so treasure maps could take longer to generate for those servers/have some other issue. That's a wild guess though.

• Like 3

I live on Melody and only suffer lag when I get close to very developed areas.  Seems too many "things" in local like buildings, decorations, lamps, animals, etc... really slow things down to 5 fps or less.  I suffer no lag at all in the wilderness, which is most of Melody.  

8 hours ago, Omar said:

Anyone else having excessive general game lag the last 5 days or so?

on which server?

open a console and try a ping to that server.. run it for for a while and see if you have dropped packets

for windows: 
start > run > cmd > ping -t <servername>.wurmonline.com

...don't add the <>

Restart your router for a start, poke your isp if you have packet loss

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

on which server?

open a console and try a ping to that server.. run it for for a while and see if you have dropped packets

for windows: 

...don't add the <>

Cadance. Not just me either. 

Doctor Cheese thank you for the input, appreciate it! 

Edited by Omar

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

on which server?

for windows: 

...don't add the <>

The game servers themselves are measuring that lag is occuring (see my above posts) and everyone in our alliance on Indy notices lag spikes when they happen. It's something to do with the server and not on the players' side. (For reference, my ping is 13 ms to Indy). I believe the lag the servers are measuring is actual server lag, too (where the whole game itself is running a few seconds behind) and not internet based.

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 2

Last night (US time) was particularly bad on Cadence: the lag stayed with us the entire night until I logged off, as opposed to only a couple of hours.

Slow stamina regen is the most obvious indicator -- if it were network lag, the stamina bar would stay at one value then jump immediately to full. I've seen that happen; this is not that. This is a case of the stamina bar sitting still for 10-15s, then jumping a step, sitting for another 10-15s, etc. Until full.

Also affected are the update ticks for ovens, forges, smelters, and probably other similar things. There can also be delays between submitting a command (say, moving inventory items) and the game performing the action.

Not affected seems to be the favor regain for priests, the custom timers tool, and the action timer bar once the server actually starts processing the action.

• Like 1

Entire local was kicked twice. lag continues throughout the night.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kaidley said:

Entire local was kicked twice. lag continues throughout the night.

Yeah just crashed out because server can't be reached (my internet is fine :P )

• Like 1

Also had an issue where myself and others in local got booted out but at least we could get straight back in.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 5:54 AM, Zakiah said:

Last night (US time) was particularly bad on Cadence: the lag stayed with us the entire night until I logged off, as opposed to only a couple of hours.

Slow stamina regen is the most obvious indicator -- if it were network lag, the stamina bar would stay at one value then jump immediately to full. I've seen that happen; this is not that. This is a case of the stamina bar sitting still for 10-15s, then jumping a step, sitting for another 10-15s, etc. Until full.

Also affected are the update ticks for ovens, forges, smelters, and probably other similar things. There can also be delays between submitting a command (say, moving inventory items) and the game performing the action.

Not affected seems to be the favor regain for priests, the custom timers tool, and the action timer bar once the server actually starts processing the action.

We are still getting sometimes 30s stamina lag, also total drop outs and non responsive, we end up just shutting the game, can't even log out in a bed.

We are aware of the lag issues - at this stage, they seem to be primarily affecting Cadence, but we're keeping an open mind about the other servers.  We are investigating, but I don't have a clear timeline for a fix at this stage, aside from 'as quickly as possible'.  We will update as the investigation and fix progresses.

• Like 4