Sign in to follow this  
DaletheGood

Deeds, Perms, etc

Was just reminded of how awkward the deeds and perms are in this game when I had to disband and redeed just to move the token. First off, it's been suggested so often, but for the love of God, let us move the token without disbanding the deed already. That's point one. *Edit* I'm not saying it should be a free move, whether it's a silver cost like renaming the settlement, or a Marks Store purchase like a golden mirror, just give us the option. Of course it would have to be a legal placement of the token (5 tiles to border.)

Second, and possibly even more annoying, is all the clicking to give out perms on a deed, especially to close friends who might get some but not all perms, and alts who get all the perms. One of two things are needed here. A copy role function (preferred), or a 'Select All' check box on the role page. Best would be both.  There should be a way, like on the Building Perms page, to create roles for all your trusted friends and friends at once.

Third, is the closing of the main role page after you "Add Role." You get done with making the role and hit save and the window disappears and now you have to right-click the body > Manage > Settlement > Manage roles to add the next one. Seriously?

As much as I'd love to see more decorations and building options and many other things, this bugs me more than not having those yet. It's such a basic part of the game that is just so, so unnecessarily tedious.

Edited by DaletheGood
clarity
  • Like 14

All of these sound like great QoL changes 

I'm not sure if the token thing affects other parts of the game, maybe archaeology or something, but I'm just completely guessing about that. The fixes to the role checkboxes/windows/qol seem simple enough and can make a huge positive difference!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 11:31 PM, DaletheGood said:

Was just reminded of how awkward the deeds and perms are in this game when I had to disband and redeed just to move the token. First off, it's been suggested so often, but for the love of God, let us move the token without disbanding the deed already. That's point one.

OMG YES!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!! +10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 to point one!!!  +1 to points two and three also. Wish I could give this 100 likes!

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

Second, and possibly even more annoying, is all the clicking to give out perms on a deed, especially to close friends who might get some but not all perms, and alts who get all the perms. One of two things are needed here. A copy role function (preferred), or a 'Select All' check box on the role page. Best would be both.  There should be a way, like on the Building Perms page, to create roles for all your trusted friends and friends at once.

Third, is the closing of the main role page after you "Add Role." You get done with making the role and hit save and the window disappears and now you have to right-click the body > Manage > Settlement > Manage roles to add the next one. Seriously?

These 2 in general would be great QoL changes.

• Like 1

I know the feeling about the token. When you first join the game you are not sure where to put it as you have nothing planned out but as soon as you start planning things you realise damn this token is getting in the way here. I initially thought you could move it when I first joined and found out you couldn't so just left it. So yes I hope they allow this feature, why it is not already in I don't know but the other suggestions sound good also for perms, we live in hope.

• Like 2

There are technical hurdles that increase the cost of this feature (to get an idea of these, start with a list of all the reasons people want to move their token, in other words, all the things that can't share a tile with the token).

And then there's the problem of abuse. If you allow a player to move the token, and you also allow them to adjust the borders with Resize... there's nothing to stop them alternating between the actions and walking their deed right across the map... at zero cost.

How to address that?

1. Treat it like renaming the deed: it costs 5s and the token location is locked for six months.
  2. Treat it like highways / KOS. Have a deed setting allowing the mayor to either move the token or adjust the borders. There would need to be a cooldown on changing this setting.
  3. Charge the player based on the distance moved, perhaps 25c per tile.

(I'm basing this post on the assumption that the proposal is to move the token within the existing deed such that the borders don't change and the new token location remains legal, i.e. not less than five tiles from any border.)

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

there's nothing to stop them alternating between the actions and walking their deed right across the map... at zero cost.

yeah, that's a concern. I wasn't looking for a free way to move the token, and your solutions seem reasonable to me. In this particular instance I moved the token to a more centralized location, renamed it and adjusted the borders a bit. Because of a mixup on the naming I ended up having to pay the 5 silver to rename it after it was founded (note to self: update the settlement page on the wiki to reflect that an all CAPS word would be normalized to Caps, and that periods are not allowed). But, I'm happy now with the placement and Wurm took some silver out of circulation and put it in their pocket, which works for me.

20 hours ago, Sheffie said:

There are technical hurdles that increase the cost of this feature (to get an idea of these, start with a list of all the reasons people want to move their token, in other words, all the things that can't share a tile with the token).

And then there's the problem of abuse. If you allow a player to move the token, and you also allow them to adjust the borders with Resize... there's nothing to stop them alternating between the actions and walking their deed right across the map... at zero cost.

How to address that?

1. Treat it like renaming the deed: it costs 5s and the token location is locked for six months.
  2. Treat it like highways / KOS. Have a deed setting allowing the mayor to either move the token or adjust the borders. There would need to be a cooldown on changing this setting.
  3. Charge the player based on the distance moved, perhaps 25c per tile.

(I'm basing this post on the assumption that the proposal is to move the token within the existing deed such that the borders don't change and the new token location remains legal, i.e. not less than five tiles from any border.)

Well I agree with what you said there yes and the 5s for moving it sounds fair just like renaming. What I would like to see is when you first place the token a message appears of some sort "Are you sure you want to place the token in this location? It can't be moved once placed" I don't remember seeing any message when placing but if there was I must have missed it.

With the announcement that after Exploration the devs are going to work on fixes and QoL updates, thought that these old threads addressing these very needed changes need to rise up the ranks so to speak. Squeaky wheels get the grease they say... I'm thinking we should all make sure we bring the squeakiest wheels to the front page :)

• Like 1

Yes, would be a nice QoL option to be able move the deed token, but I can see limiting option as to where it can be moved due to x,y grid values and how deeds are calculated,  It could still be done with limited places where you could move the deed token to. Real question is how much work/time a dev would need to spend on it.. If its a couple days work I can see is, but more then that not worth it. Time would be better spent on other things.

Just my 2 irons - (Just my 2 cents)

Deed Token should be moveable, but ONLY within the area of the original deed. Is that fair?

It prevents someone from slowly scooting their deed across the map by constantly moving token, resize, move token, resize...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lovelie said:

Deed Token should be moveable, but ONLY within the area of the original deed. Is that fair?

It prevents someone from slowly scooting their deed across the map by constantly moving token, resize, move token, resize...

Yeah. I think that constraining the placement of the token to being inside the boundaries of the original deed is fair. I also believe it should have at least as much cost as renaming the deed, would even be willing to see it as high as 10 Silver. Even if it were only 5 silver, it'd be pretty cost prohibitive to scoot the deed any great distance even if the constraint above were not in place.

• Like 1

i encountered this the first time i deeded but since then i have taken time to decide where to put down my tokens for deeds but it would be nice to be able to move a token within a deeds boundaries if so desired and yes it should not be free to do either for then we would just see people exploiting for various reasons.

• Like 1