Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

August’s Monthly Skin

This one is definitely a collectable for me.
Thanks devs!

yea... I'm sorry if I ruin anyones immersion when they see me (if at all, hermit life ftw), but I am weak with cute stuff and Wurm has so little cute decor, this is really a sweet wind in the shop.

Now I just gota rare me a backpack for it to be worth it. :D

Snowmen, tickle goats, sparkle reindeer, gnomes - I don't see how a fluffy, fuzzy cute bear for a backpack is immersion breaking.  If anything, it has continuity with the other cutsie decorations we already have.  It isn't like it looks terribly hard to sew either.  That fancy red shirt with the puffy sleeves looks far more complicated.

What breaks immersion for me is a cart or wagon that rides level going up and down mountains.  Horses that run on the surface, when your cart is in a mine.  Seeing through cave walls (but damn, I love this freakture).  Magic weight changes when attaching the last piece.  There are a million things that are immersion breaking in far greater ways than a cure backpack.

Just think about all the cool weapon skins vs this one cute backpack.  Don't begrudge this gift for the people that just need a little cute in the game.

Edit:  I'm also going to buy some!  Time to retire those satchels.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Snowmen, tickle goats, sparkle reindeer, gnomes - I don't see how a fluffy, fuzzy cute bear for a backpack is immersion breaking.  If anything, it has continuity with the other cutsie decorations we already have.  It isn't like it looks terribly hard to sew either.  That fancy red shirt with the puffy sleeves looks far more complicated.

What breaks immersion for me is a cart or wagon that rides level going up and down mountains.  Horses that run on the surface, when your cart is in a mine.  Seeing through cave walls (but damn, I love this freakture).  Magic weight changes when attaching the last piece.  There are a million things that are immersion breaking in far greater ways than a cure backpack.

Just think about all the cool weapon skins vs this one cute backpack.  Don't begrudge this gift for the people that just need a little cute in the game.

Edit:  I'm also going to buy some!  Time to retire those satchels.

I'll add to your list there, Candy Cane Short Swords!

I also agree that any teddy bear type of item or stuffed toy would not be that hard to sew. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 1:44 PM, DevBlog said:

August’s “Bjarne Backpack” lets you bring your adorable fuzzy buddy everywhere you go! Available through the month of August in the Marks Shop at any settlement token, this skin can be applied to any backpack to give it a unique and fancy look.

skin_august_bjarne_backpackjpg-1024x576.

I think my ovaries just skipped a beat.

• Like 2

There's no denying this thing is pretty darn cute.  There's also no denying that it is 100% out of synch with the vibe and the atmosphere of the Wurm world.

I understand that people like cute things, and I don’t want to rain on that parade. Hell, I like cute things too.  I still smile and say "awww" whenever I see a foal or a lamb in the game.  But some cute things, like foals and lambs, make sense in the game's world, while others, like teddy bear backpacks, do not.  

I feel like it might be wise to draw a line, or at least make a compromise.  Like, if something this out-of-place absolutely must be be brought into the game (and honestly, I question the necessity for it at all), maybe make it a stationary, decorative item that will only be seen indoors for the most part, rather than a wearable that rides around on players’ backs slaughtering immersion left and right.  Devs, I beg that you use caution when tinkering with this beautiful, wonderful world I've come to love and treasure so much.  Many thanks.

• Like 2

As much of a fetish as I have for the teddy bears that keep showing up in Wurm news posts, I think I need to pass and wait on the next skin.  But that's only because I'm an in the closet teddy bear liker and don't want anyone to notice....

Edited by Nomadikhan

5 hours ago, Minnie said:

There's no denying this thing is pretty darn cute.  There's also no denying that it is 100% out of synch with the vibe and the atmosphere of the Wurm world.

I understand that people like cute things, and I don’t want to rain on that parade. Hell, I like cute things too.  I still smile and say "awww" whenever I see a foal or a lamb in the game.  But some cute things, like foals and lambs, make sense in the game's world, while others, like teddy bear backpacks, do not.  

I feel like it might be wise to draw a line, or at least make a compromise.  Like, if something this out-of-place absolutely must be be brought into the game (and honestly, I question the necessity for it at all), maybe make it a stationary, decorative item that will only be seen indoors for the most part, rather than a wearable that rides around on players’ backs slaughtering immersion left and right.  Devs, I beg that you use caution when tinkering with this beautiful, wonderful world I've come to love and treasure so much.  Many thanks.

Let’s let the devs and art team decide the vibe and atmosphere hey?

wurm needs to return to the super camp days 

Edited by Archaed
  • Like 1
  • Cat 2

Sign in to follow this