Sign in to follow this  
Manachan

Second steam account required?

I had my wu server running on an external rack rental type server. All was well. I moved my server to a local system on my lan and the server runs there now. However, when starting the wu client, steam says I can't because I am "already playing Wurm Unlimited Server" and will be disconnected if I continue. Do I need a second steam account to run my server under now just because I moved my server to a local system? 

Steam's setup of one instance per steam account comes into play(not a wurm thing)

2 things you can do
1. launch the dedicated server directly from its folder(read below for more info if need be)
2. use steamcmd with the id of 402370 for more info on that see https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_administration_(Wurm_Unlimited) and https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

For step 1 you create a text file called steam_appid.txt add the above number into it and save it and then launch the server from there(this works for the client to except client id is 366220) this lets you run multiple instances of the same program and could potentially help but steamcmd route is better although more complicated, this is also how your rental service would have done it

Does the same thing happen if you use the Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server instead of the Wurm Unlimited Server? The first usually has its own folder in a different path from the WU server +client.   (Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server is available under Steam > Library but switch the dropdown box from "GAMES" to "TOOLS")

Yes that is where it was happening all along... an unlimited dedicated server on another system from the one I wish to run the client on. The goal was to create a server internal on my own network on a dedicated system. No worries though as I got it working finally.  I rebuilt the system from bare metal again, installed steam, created a second throw away steam account, installed steamcmd, installed the server app 402370, moved the default world directory to a backup, rsync'ed my old public server world directory to the new system and all is well. My unlimited world is now running on a local system on my lan.  Home sweet home... Thanks everyone.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:13 AM, Manachan said:

Yes that is where it was happening all along... an unlimited dedicated server on another system from the one I wish to run the client on. The goal was to create a server internal on my own network on a dedicated system. No worries though as I got it working finally.  I rebuilt the system from bare metal again, installed steam, created a second throw away steam account, installed steamcmd, installed the server app 402370, moved the default world directory to a backup, rsync'ed my old public server world directory to the new system and all is well. My unlimited world is now running on a local system on my lan.  Home sweet home... Thanks everyone.

FYI: Steamcmd has an anonymous login that does not require any steam account.

Installing WU dedicated server is as easy as running this command: (for Linux) change accordingly for windows

steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/user/steamcmd/wu_dedicated/ +app_update 402370 validate +quit

And running it on linux with modlauncher just needs:

screen -S wurm -d -m bash -c 'cd /home/user/steamcmd/wu_dedicated; ./modlauncher.sh start=Creative'

Change your directories accordingly

Edited by Sklo:D