Sign in to follow this  
flonkulina

How about change km/h?

I mean there is no km in the game, it is tiles. So km tells nothing about how fast you can reach a point. Why not change it to tilles/minute?

Go to your World Map ingame. For example, Xanadu says 32 km x 32 km, Harmony says 16 km x 16 km. How accurate or truly that matches up with your moving speed km/h, I'm not sure. But technically there is km in the game, though we don't really "use" it I think.

4 minutes ago, Lovelie said:

Go to your World Map ingame. For example, Xanadu says 32 km x 32 km, Harmony says 16 km x 16 km. How accurate or truly that matches up with your moving speed km/h, I'm not sure. But technically there is km in the game, though we don't really "use" it I think.

understand that but, when you use the rout system, all info you get is how many tiles away that deed is, not km. So why not use tiles as a measurement for speed to?

ingame 1 tile is 3 meter, iirc, the spyglass shows this.  Just for reference.

2 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

I know that to, but, why need calculate, when things can be made more simple? 

sorry it was just an advice to make things more easy. Thougth people should think the same.

I agree, being from the US and the game using a combo of tiles and kms for distance measures, it's not the easiest to get a feel for distance or speed.

Maybe make it a changeable preference what speed and route distances are measured in? km/mph/tiles

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lovelie said:

That is a workaround. Doesn't address the inconsistency.

58 minutes ago, Homestead said:

That is a workaround. Doesn't address the inconsistency.

Huh? Workaround? It's not working around anything. I was just replying to the post saying that "there is no km in the game" at all. But there is km on the map (and on spyglass apparently according to @Nomadikhan).

As for the suggested change, perhaps it's more practical to call everything tiles... I think stuff like this is written this way for immersion purposes. But it's strangely inconsistent, not just for distance. Tiles on waystones, kilometers on map/spyglass/speedometer. Dates/times by wurm calendar/clock, but stuff like animal pregnancy timers is irl days/hours. I'm sure there's more.

6 hours ago, Lovelie said:

Too add to this

Xanadu is 8192x8192 tiles big

5 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

A tile is 4 meters by 4 meters what you see from the spyglass is from your point of reference not the actual tile size or tile distance this is also why years ago we had the discussion going on that wurmians are actually 3 meter tall giants which would explain their ability to carry that much

--------------------------------------
To add for the OP's question rolf the maker comes from a country that uses km's and it was an easier system to use and display for him and notch when they first started to work on it and it gave some relevance to time spend on travel(in short they liked it more then displaying tile speed) and km/h is used in quite a few things ingame that you might not realize from spyglasses to map size to distance counter(press f4 unless its rebound by default now to something else but look for client statistics) to event messages and so on.

Wurm has a mix of map tiles for missions to individual tiles for highways to speed being calculated in km/h and distance done in meters and km, I myself would prefer if more things used km then tiles as that would make more sense to use a proper measuring system then switch to just "t/h" as you get some crazy numbers then for example a horse going 32km/h would make the tile counter go like 8192 t/h the numbers become so big that you would have to make those numbers smaller again and your back to the same issue as right now.

Max speed ingame is like 58 something km/h  or around 14500 tiles(bit more then that) imagine seeing that as your speed counter "oh ya im going 14500 tiles/h il be there soon" instead going with a km/h and knowing that 1km/4= roughly 250 tiles you can accurately say "oh i will be there in 4 minutes" for example

And i know technically speaking xanadu is 32768 meters x 32768 meters by the example of 4 meters per tile not 32 but its a lot nicer looking on the map where as if a tile was 3 meters xanadu would only be 24576 meters in either direction

So in short

wurmians are 3 meters tall
tiles are 4 meters by 4 meters
speed is measured in km/h because rl reasons and makes more sense then displaying crazy big speeds as you need a /h or /s
-----------------

Here is my question to you what would you rather see in a game?
t/s
m/s
And no I will not entertain the imperial system as the USA Liberia and Myanmar need to move on with the times and come out of the dark ages away from their weird barleycorn(1/3th of an inch or 1/36th of a feet) and furlong(660 feet, 220 yard) and join us in the system of thousands where 1000 meters is a kilometer because kilo=1000 when it comes to measurements.

But ya what would you rather see then?

------------------------------------------

Edited by wipeout

RL world just like Wurm world is full of confusing measurement systems but at least they keep our brains trained a bit forcing us to do some basic math. I don't think it is too complicated to do the math in between tiles and kms. If anything I would ADD km distance to the info on waystones.

We are still lucky there are no Fahrenheit/Celsius ingame....and no confusing AM/PM either

• Like 2

Horse pregnancy timers were originally in Wurm time, but it was changed to RL time as a quality of life thing, since that's what most players care about anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wipeout said:

Wurm has a mix of map tiles for missions to individual tiles for highways to speed being calculated in km/h and distance done in meters and km, I myself would prefer if more things used km then tiles as that would make more sense to use a proper measuring system then switch to just "t/h" as you get some crazy numbers then for example a horse going 32km/h would make the tile counter go like 8192 t/h the numbers become so big that you would have to make those numbers smaller again and your back to the same issue as right now.

------------------------------------------

My advice was not tiles/h....tiles/minute would make a pretty good meassuring

Edited by flonkulina

I am fine with km/h and do not see any advantage in other kinds of display. Tiles/minute would be terrible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jaz said:

RL world just like Wurm world is full of confusing measurement systems but at least they keep our brains trained a bit forcing us to do some basic math. I don't think it is too complicated to do the math in between tiles and kms. If anything I would ADD km distance to the info on waystones.

We are still lucky there are no Fahrenheit/Celsius ingame....and no confusing AM/PM either

Thats true. But if an easy fix, i would love see it in tiles/minutes to let the brain rest :P or that the routing system allso uses km :). But not a very big deal then.

23 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I am fine with km/h and do not see any advantage in other kinds of display. Tiles/minute would be terrible.

ok why you think so? cause it sounds weird? its still allot more logical

Edited by flonkulina

I live in Sweden and we use km instead of miles. So i am good with that system. But if we mixed up the both of them, let say the road signs when you drive a car says, Stockholm:50 miles, and my car speed meter is for km/h. Things get more complicated. And this is the same. But no big deal ofc.

Consistency can be achieved in more than one way.

Rather than changing the speed displayed to anything based on tiles, we could change the distance displayed on signposts to km.

If we're going to do that, I think our goals should be readability and clarity (you need to be able to see the numbers and know what they mean).

My preference would be for the signposts to show distances as follows:

Above 5 km, show in km but limit to 1 decimal place, e.g. 3456 tiles = 13824 m = 13.824 km  — show 13.8 km

Below 5 km, show in m, e.g. 345 tiles = 1380 m = 1.38 km — show 1380 m

5 hours ago, Pandalet said:

Horse pregnancy timers were originally in Wurm time, but it was changed to RL time as a quality of life thing, since that's what most players care about anyway.

Oh yes, and I appreciate it as QoL for sure.  I was just pointing out other cases where we have “inconsistencies” in Wurm. But again, I reiterate, I think it’s partly for immersion, and it can look or feel good to keep some of those immersive aspects in the game.

56 minutes ago, flonkulina said:

let say the road signs when you drive a car says, Stockholm:50 miles, and my car speed meter is for km/h. Things get more complicated. 

That’s kinda how it is in the UK, the road signs will say 300 yards or miles or mp/h but your car speedometer may include km/h, and though you may buy a few litres of petrol your fuel efficiency is measured miles per gallon 😆  Mixing and matching in some cases still works out in the end,

12 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

Consistency can be achieved in more than one way.

Rather than changing the speed displayed to anything based on tiles, we could change the distance displayed on signposts to km.

If we're going to do that, I think our goals should be readability and clarity (you need to be able to see the numbers and know what they mean).

My preference would be for the signposts to show distances as follows:

Above 5 km, show in km but limit to 1 decimal place, e.g. 3456 tiles = 13824 m = 13.824 km  — show 13.8 km

Below 5 km, show in m, e.g. 345 tiles = 1380 m = 1.38 km — show 1380 m

Yes that would be very nice. Agree with you.

This is not a new concept and it doesn't seem hard to implement to give people choice of tiles/metric/imperial/washing machines, without making any changes on the server side. Calculations can happen client-side.

rGQiqrf.png

11 minutes ago, Locath said:

This is not a new concept and it doesn't seem hard to implement to give people choice of tiles/metric/imperial/washing machines, without making any changes on the server side. Calculations can happen client-side.

rGQiqrf.png

for sure! nothing needed to change on server side.

17 hours ago, flonkulina said:

I mean there is no km in the game, it is tiles. So km tells nothing about how fast you can reach a point. Why not change it to tilles/minute?

17 hours ago, flonkulina said:

So why not use tiles as a measurement for speed to?

4 hours ago, flonkulina said:

My advice was not tiles/h....tiles/minute would make a pretty good meassuring

3 hours ago, flonkulina said:

i would love see it in tiles/minutes to let the brain rest :P or that the routing system allso uses km :).

3 hours ago, flonkulina said:
3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

ok why you think so? cause it sounds weird? its still allot more logical

Some people understand tiles/minute as how many tiles have pass in a minute? like km/h as how many km have pass in a hour.
AB
CD
EF
GH
Each letter represents one tile. There are 8 tiles here. Assume walking a straight line from Tile A to Tile G is 4 tiles/minute. Same distance and same speed with a straight line with slope from Tile A to Tile H, u can passed through Tile A, C, E, F and H, so it's 5 tiles/minute.
So using tiles/minute might confuse people for representing speed.

If u understand the concept, u can get 6 tiles/minute from Tile A to Tile H with a curve line with same distance and same speed.