Sign in to follow this  
Crystl

stop chickens moving around so much

Chicken movement needs to be slowed down a lot, they keep packing the grass. Every time I check them a lot of the grass is gone and the dirt is packed.

• Like 1

I am not for or against this, but It amused me because the chickens used to be very stationary, for a long time they seldom moved. Then it was changed, and it was amazing that they no longer were like chicken statues. 

Chicken movement and packing grass seems more true to life to me, chickens dash around like crazy and can turn a grass pen into dirt in short order.

Then again, I did just hitching post all my sheep because they moved around too much for my liking wile working on AH.

• Like 1

I find it funny that they will realistically swarm piles of grain dropped on the ground, though this was probably implemented by accident rather than design. There's no benefit to keeping them on grass tiles over a dirt tile pen, as they aren't grazers. (Anyone who tells you that they graze, or will eat cut grass, is either deliberately misinforming you or hasn't kept chickens in a very long time.)

They don't seem to be able to tear up enchanted grass very effectively, even when occupying such tiles off deed. Since a relatively recent patch they are no longer suspicious of it, and will lay eggs on it without reservation now. Confirmed that eggs will also hatch into chickens while on enchanted grass.

I think the devs already took care of this thread years ago, if you want your chickens "Stationary" then put them in a coop. Chickens IRL are very lively creatures and rarely stays in one place unless they are asleep.