Sign in to follow this  
Pandalet

Post-mortem: server outage Sunday 7 August 2022

The server outage this morning was due to a hardware failure on one of the physical machines hosting our game servers.

The initial failure happened around 9:45 UTC, causing the machine to shut down.  The actual failure was a hard disk failing.  This took out Pristine, Indy, Serenity, Desertion, Exodus, Deli, and Chaos, but also Golden Valley and the webshop, meaning that even if you were on a server that wasn't down, nobody could log in (GV is our login server).  We notified our hosting provider (who were already swinging into action), who pulled the machine and replaced the disk.  Replacing the hardware didn't take very long, but rebuilding the images took a little bit, so we had to wait for the machine to give the green light before bringing anything back up. 

We do not expect any significant data loss as a result of this outage, as we use a redundant array configuration.

The game servers were brought back up at 11:57 UTC, with all hamsters operating normally from that point.

Fun fact: Max handled sorting out the systems from our side, on his laptop, from his allotment.  No vegetables were harmed due to this outage.

• Like 26

@Burdok, I fed them some of my freshly picked courgettes to keep them going 😀

• Like 15

Can we replace the server hamsters with capybara?

• Like 5

Well done to all involved in sorting out the problem.

Thank you also for a very rapid insight into what happened- over and beyond what I would expect on a lazy summer afternoon!

• Like 2

staff always been pretty quick to solved issues thanks for still being a great team

• Like 2

Well said, kudos to those behind the scenes!!  We appreciate YOU!!

• Like 2

Is this also responsible for the lag spikes experienced within the last 30 days?

52 minutes ago, kaidley said:

Is this also responsible for the lag spikes experienced within the last 30 days?

It's remotely possible, but it's not likely.  Having said that, lag is something we do keep an eye on, and we're constantly looking to improve.

• Like 1

+1 for capybaras.  They might not have the wheel running any smoother, but they are so cute we can forgive them anything.

• Like 2

Tell him to try growing purple carrots and purple podded peas :P

Also Indian rainbow corn, if he's bored with the usual stuff...

2 hours ago, Atheline said:

+1 for capybaras. 

Theres so much disagreement in the world yet almost all of humanity seems collectively united on the fact Capybaras are cute and interesting.

• Like 2

I heard that if you upgrade to a fancy angora hamster then you can expect a 10% performance improvement. They also improve the social well being of the other hamsters.

I appreciate the quick reaction and info. Thanks a lot the staff! ❤️

Also:  +1 for capybara cuteness.

Great job and it's really cool to actually know what caused the issue to.

Thanks Wurm Team! ❤️

Wasn't the avoidance hardware failures why Wurm has been moved from Hetzner to Linode?

With Hetzner if a server failed one island was down, now with Linode one hardware failures causing the outage of multiple islands at once, due to their virtualization and/or containerization strategy.

Edited by Sklo:D

Thanks for the quality time I had with my daughter that day :P. GReat work on getting everything backup!

On 8/7/2022 at 9:38 AM, maximusi said:

@Burdok, I fed them some of my freshly picked courgettes to keep them going 😀

Weird, I keep getting ads about hot ones being in my area

edit: Nvm definately not the same thing

Edited by Yggdrasil

On 8/7/2022 at 10:34 AM, Pandalet said:

It's remotely possible, but it's not likely.  Having said that, lag is something we do keep an eye on, and we're constantly looking to improve.

Lag happens when the hamsters take a bathroom break.