Sign in to follow this  
Zakiah

Colossus Construction

With the recent faith switching change, one thing has inadvertently become more difficult burdensome: colossus construction.  That has been a sore spot for some time with many previous threads created about it and the faith switching required to build one for a friend or client, but it was just made a little more onerous.

Perhaps the easiest and most fair way to do it is to allow anyone to construct any colossus statue to material completion.  This will complete the generic colossus, but the deity colossi will still be "unfinished".  The material-complete but unfinished colossus would then require a blessing from a priest of that faith, one of the easiest possible spells to cast.

It adds a minor annoyance of locating a priest of that faith to finish the construction, but with everyone and their grandmother having priest alts, it is far less of a chore than faith switching ... even before the recent change.

Another option would be to have the material-complete but "unfinished" colossus have a new right-click option called "Complete".  Any follower+ of that deity would be able to select that option to complete the colossus.

Edited by Zakiah
Difficulty hasn't changed, just added negative encouragement to build them
  • Like 3

The cooldown period between switching faiths has not changed. The ability to build a colossus should not have been affected by any recent changes.

• Like 1

+1, I've really got nothing more to add other than: please implement some change to make god colossi not require faith swapping to build.

Edit:

Nevermind, I do have something to add...

The point here is more that the faith swap now has the "consequences" of missing out on any rites that may occur, in addition to being a week apart at minimum, in addition to losing all follower bonuses, all to build a different giant statue that does nothing more than look cool.

Edited by Aleck
  • Like 1

Yeah, I've got to give this a thumbs-up. I'm going to be making some colossi in the future, and the hassle of having to switch faiths back and forth seems an unnecessary burden.

14 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

The cooldown period between switching faiths has not changed. The ability to build a colossus should not have been affected by any recent changes.

Apologies.  I've updated my original post to remove "difficult" and exchange it with what was intended.

I suppose, though, that this should first depend on the intention surrounding Colossi.  Throughout history the faithful have often relied upon the non-faithful for creation and selling of religious items.  It's one thing to find a follower of your god, but another to find a skilled silversmith who is also a follower of your god to make your trinket for you.

Is it intended in Wurm that the very faithful adherent -- and those who are not faithful at all to any deity -- be the only ones to construct colossi?  I'm not trying to comment on the faith switching change; something needed to be done and I'm just as happy with the Faith 30 requirement as I would have been with removing all penalties for faith switching.  But the change has pushed the construction of colossi toward those who live in the extremes or who are willing to accept stiffer penalties for making one for others.

Is there a technical or lore reason you have to be of a certain faith to build a colossus? It seems like a fairly random restriction.

16 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

I think the point is something different entirely. If we have to swap faiths to make a colossus of a god, we then have to fully submit back to the original god we were before and get back to 30 faith if we want the rite benefit. If there's one cast while you're making a colossus and your cooldown is over, you're still not getting the rite because 30 faith takes a decent bit of time to get back.