Sign in to follow this  
Nirav

Rockcliff Museum Q&A - Details about the Grand Opening

Rockcliff Museum is opening very soon - The Grand Opening is 9/3/2022 at 10am CST. Many of you have questions, so I hope this will answer most of them. Yes, you can still get items into the museum Now so they are displayed when it opens.  Please send them to Nirav, make sure your signature is on them.  You can also send me a story about the item here on the forum in a PM. The Museum is for Everyone in the Southern Servers, not just Independence. If you want to know all the details, please read everything here. Thank you all, and see you soon!

timer_E1662216892.svg

Reddragon Will Be Bringing The Boozen Wagon!!!!!!

If you knew Waarokku, and you wish to have a sip of his wine, Reddragon will have a small amount of it in the back of the bar.  Please ask Reddragon for a sip if you wish. There will be a very limited amount. Nirav will do an announcement when the cask is opened.

THE NAMES

There are over 550 toons represented at Rockcliff Museum. A full list of these names will be on the website. But I do want to thank a few special folks here:

Dragon Hills Alliance - Hvergi, Chaoshaze, Lilychaos, Stormblade, Camaril, Zimgraham for helping with signature imps, building, making materials for the building

Camaril for making 300 Grand Opening Gala Party Favors

Kasumi for helping with layout, interior decorating, listening when I needed to babble because I was panicking

Pomeray, who donated roughly 1/4 of the items with signatures in this Museum

Lyhrinae for helping with mortar, building, and item donation

ubuFSOo.jpeg

Link to Museum Website - Camaril and I worked really hard on the website, and it is 80% done at this point.  Once I know for sure what all the signatures are, that will be added Friday.  https://www.rockcliffmuseum.com/

Why A Museum, Why This One? 

Spoiler

I started playing in 2016 on Chaos. A friend had played for years, and she wanted to try Chaos just to see what it looked like – not to join a Kingdom or anything. She warned me that starting Wurm there would be extremely difficult, made it very clear that it was not a typical beginning point, but I was like “How bad can it be?  It’s just a game, yeah?” She made a new toon, and I entered Wurm through Gold Coast. Within 24 hours I had two eagle spirits in my noob tent, and 21 of my corpses scattered all over the hillside, and I had hardly slept. I was babbling in GL about what I was doing, where I was, and folks were spending hours with me in PMs trying to explain things while my friend was asleep. Two in particular were incredibly kind and spent long hours with me that first week - Waarokku and Cthululu. Ah, Waar. Your name will ever conjure a smile from me, and tears in my eyes. But it was this time, and the time given to me by so many others, that made me realize this game, and the people in it, were different. That this world had beauty in it beyond the pixels.

Two weeks later, my friend and I ran from Chaos to the new server Xanadu.  I think Xan was harder.  The run back to the dead corpses for sure was longer. And the mobs. But there was no longer a lone starter town surrounded by MR towers and enemies.  There were bridges and massive estates and roads and unfathomable things people had done to the land. And always, people helped, talked, said hi with enthusiasm, sent gifts of pelts and tools, and each of them said, “Just do something for others when you have gotten to where I am and can do that.”

We left Xan two weeks later to go to Independence where she had played for years. I still remember sailing through Crystal Canal in the middle of the night.  Oh, the colors! The lights and all their colors!  And the banners! And then that open sea just as you come out the other side, with all those lights reflecting on the water, all those deeds, all those people!

A week later, I wanted my own deed.  And the thing in the game that was starting to make me sad got more intense. What was that? The fallen deeds. The ones who left. The people that stories were still being told about, but were gone. It was a game, but these people all had a part to play in the creation of an entire little world, and they mattered, and all that was left for me to see of them was piles of stuff lying around with signatures on them.  To me, they were magic names that conjured only guesses as to who all these people were. I completely by accident ended up choosing to build my first deed at Tich’s old deed on Inde, and months later, when I learned where I was, I promised myself and everyone in the game that I would someday make something there that fulfilled my promise to give back when I could. That’s why.

Who Is This All For Or About?

Spoiler

You.  All of you.  I want you all here, in name, as a signature on an item in this museum, and my dream is to have it become a Heritage site. If that happens, at that point, everything in it will belong to Wurm, not me. It doesn’t matter if you have played for a week, and you made a spindle, or if you are a GM and can bring a fantastic adamantine sculpture. I want something of yours here, because yddou all matter, and you all made this beautiful world, and you all deserve to be remembered. I want your stories.  There will be a website, and it will be created so you can put your stories there, about the item with your signature on it, or just about you and your favorite thing you did in the game. You and your stories are everything this world is made of. You can also send any items you want displayed to Nirav or PM me if the item can't be mailed.

How Did This Get Created?

Spoiler

I am an explorer and a looter.  But I have only ever sold one looted thing - some cotton I found for 1s. I loot because I wanted to save something of those who had moved on, for whatever reason. At first, it wasn’t about the signatures. It was the thrill of finding things. I don’t think I have ever been the first person to a loot job, but I was new enough for long enough that an orange banner sent me into a frenzy of glee because I had never seen that color orange. It was a very long time before I even realized items could have spells on them. I didn’t find one of those for months. Even now, 6 years later, I can count the rares I have found at fallen deeds on the ends of my limbs, and anything worth more than that on my two hands. I paid far more attention to the signatures, the names, the People who are literally The Entire Game.

It got to where if I found a fallen place, I would search for things with signatures. Some have been lost over time, erased by the years, and these items now have my name on them instead. I didn’t know then what my plan was, so I had never renamed them. I stored the mats I got, and learned about impalongs, and started bringing the mats I found to those, imagining how many people would benefit there from something someone had to say goodbye to, wondering if that honored them somehow. I would mention it at times, but few people seemed to care about such things, and that was ok with me. I care, and nothing can change that.

When I got the idea for the museum, the work began, slowly. I’m not a builder, terrible at grinding, so I had to stop exploring at times and work on things that would allow me to create something big enough. I built a small museum at Lyric Beach and made announcements, but it was small, and few people really knew about it.

Then Hvergi left to create his massive deed, and left his small one up on the hill from my place to me. And that is when I knew I would build a proper museum there. I grinded skills and gathered all my looted mats together to create the museum, observation tower, and small Inn.  Life has been complicated, and I haven’t been able to work on it full time, so it took 2 years. It certainly does not look like it took 2 years.  Some of you could have created all this in a week, I am sure. But I used the mats I found all over Wurm to create Rockcliff Museum, and Dragon Hills Alliance came to help, as well as Kasumi, and we built my dream, and it came true. Many others helped as well, and you will hear of them.

Where Is It?

Spoiler

Right about on the line between L15 and K16, on Independence, that is where Rockcliff Museum is. It is just a few tiles E of Lyric Beach, my main deed. If you see the big peat bog, it is up on the rise just above it. Please wait until Grand Opening to come. (GMs, I see you.  Please no flying over there. :P)

Check the Albia map and look for Tich Bay at 28x 30y.  These maps here should tell you where to park, how to get to the museum from either direction, and where to put your tent.

F2jXPh9.png

TzYsIzA.png

When Is The Grand Opening?

Spoiler

The Grand Opening is Sept 3rd from 10am to 10pm CST.  I am running it for 12 hours so everyone from every time zone can make it. After that, it will be open to everyone 24/7.

What Is The Grand Opening Going To Be Like, And What Should I Bring?

Spoiler

I am not a great planner.  This is not an impalong or even something as grand as a Stanlee Unique Slaying. There is a museum, an observation tower, and a small Inn. The Inn is for after the Grand Opening - for folks to stay in when they come visit. Everything will be accessible to the public. Everything has items in or around it to look at. The items are not really what I am displaying, though, so please take time to look at the names of those who created the items. There will be at least one merchant, free food, and places to park horses, wagons, and carts. Feel free to bring drinks, food, share something of yourself.  Bring party favors if you are inclined. Bring something for the museum. But what I really want is for you to walk in there and see someone’s name that makes you smile and remember. That is what all of this is about.

A call for volunteers...

Spoiler

I do need folks to help folks park their horses/carts/wagons/Etc.  It will run for 12 hours, and I need 12 folks to do that for one hour each. I can't be down at the docks doing that and up top at the same time, so if anyone is interested, please let me know.  As of right now, the 10am shift and 7pm shift is covered. 

Edited by Nirav
  • Like 18

I think this project sounds awesome. I'm so excited to see it in person! Not 100% sure which time I could do, but I can help with horse organisation - how about at opening time, 10am CST?

I'd love to donate a sailboat (and a book with details of the story behind it). I'm gonna try and track down the original, but I'm 99% sure it decayed when I took a long Wurm break, so I might have to make a replica. The story is worth it, though - I went everywhere on my first sailboat, and I was really attached to it. It led me to a lot of great things, like running the boat races at the 2012 Summer Festival at the Guild of Artificers on Maple Island, just over ten years ago - which is an event that I met a few people I'm still in touch with today from, ten years later. I'd love to donate a souvenir from that event but unfortunately the only one I have left is my drake set, and that's still in use 😅

Also, some forum tricks that might help:

Spoiler

Firstly, to do the drop downs like this one, you need to add a spoiler to your post, which you can do by pressing the eye icon in the edit window. It's the highlighted button here:

WctdyVu.jpg

Secondly, to help with timezone stuff, you can use the Wurm auction timer to add a countdown to the opening. It automatically converts between timezones for people, making it a nice way for people to know when a given thing will start:

then just copy the "BBCode" version of the timer into your forum post. I made one just now for the opening, which looks like this:

timer_E1662217238.svg

You can add this timer to your posts by copy pasting this line into it:

[img=https://wurmtimer.nesgamepro.com/timer_E1662217238.svg]

Hope that helps 😃

• Like 2

I love the idea and the project, Nirav. I will be on a birthday party on the date of the Grand Opening, so I might not be able to make it there. But I WILL visit, promise!

• Like 1

This wonderful place is located on the NW side of Dragon Fang mountain in central Indy at 29x, 31y, which is about 60 tiles off of FM NW Hwy.

https://prnt.sc/dCFbIVnQr_V6

Map image to help you find this amazing event.

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

Edited by HughMongus
  • Like 2

++1   I'll tell you wut, if not for the Boozin Wagon alone!!!!!  If you've not stopped by Reddragon's Boozin wagon, it's a must on wurm's bucket list!!!  I got shitfaced and started flirting with a trellis.

• Like 2

I'll be happy to visit your Museum, I'll make a Surprise Donation, I'll be there soon!

• Like 1

Awesome idea! I wont' be able to attend the grand opening, but it's definitely a destination that I will see soon after. I love exploring, and this will give me a chance to see the Museum and explore Indy for a bit.

Good job!

• Like 1

Might not be able to make it but please post some pictures when it's ready. Love to see all you got built and collected.

• Like 1

This is so cool, such a loving gesture, thanks Nirav! It is sad to see how many people I've been friends with that no longer play the game, but every now and then you get a pleasant surprise when one of them reappears. This is just an outstanding idea, and thank you and your collaborators for putting this together :) I don't get out and travel much, but this is definitely on my list of things I have to check out. Thanks Nirav!

• Like 1

Had a lovely time visiting. Broke my leg trying to gain entry to the tower. Would tumble again.

• Like 1

It is a blast - thank you for making it happen and all who helped!

• Like 1

that is something i wish to visit when i have time, yet i wonder what item created by me found its way into the museum

Finally sailed over and visited the museum and i have to say it is an awesome experience and highly recommended.

Congrats to all for creating and donating to such a place, the amount of history is staggering.

• Like 1

We need to get a survey crew over that way to update the road improvements Nirav has done in the area, which is a good excuse to visit what is now probably the finest land mark on Indy.

+100 to Nirav for the excellent maps with directions to show folks how to get up to the museum in the top post.

Warmest regards,

Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy

Edited by HughMongus