Tpikol

individual ship pages revamp.

looking at the individual ship pages

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Small_sailing_boat

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Rowing_boat

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Corbita

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Caravel

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Knarr

they clearly need a big rework to remove and move things so the same info is on the same place on every page but before starting on that can we agree on a few things?

all pages have the "Str need to drag and empty XXX" somewhere. and i remember that having to drag ships was something that happened all the time when i started in wurm, but its been so long since that was a thing that i dont even remember why, and nobody needs to drag a ships today when they get stuck so can we just remove this?

is the old "Hold Capacity: >20,000 Volume (100 rafts)" needed for anything nowdays? or is it just useless now with loading?

the Caravel page still has this on it wich i know its a big nono for the new policies "*Caravel can be started at 34 with a 35ql keel or better,  6% chance." BUT the knarr page has this instead "Knarrs show in the creation list when cogs are between 13% and 14%, and Corbitas are at 25%" if that second line acceptable for the anti info policies?

should we reduce all of this "*Ships with a quality of less than 10 cannot be commanded. 
**This includes ships whose damage percentage would calculate to bring the quality below 10 (eg. a 12 quality ship with 17 damage calculates to a ship below 10 quality).
**Repairing a ship can sometimes result in the ship retaining a quality above 10, thus being commandable once again."

to just this "Ships with a quality of less than 10 cannot be commanded." the rest of that is just obvious.

should depth requirement be removed since they are on the Ship page table?

the sailboat page says this "Weight: 140kg (Everybody can drag)" but the rowboat page says this "*Unfinished, Missing One Peg - 855.40kg
*Finished, Estimated - 855.50kg" the rowboat has to be wrong.

arent both rowboats and sailboats the same capacity as a small cart? their pages have diferent useful quantities and loadable items lists.

thats all for now.

When your ship gets stuck someplace when you're out sailing you very much still need to drag it

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aeris said:

When your ship gets stuck someplace when you're out sailing you very much still need to drag it

when? if its stuck on shallow water or because you were afk and "crashed" into land you just turn around and dont even need to disembark.

and even if that didnt work, you could push it which doesn't have any body str requirements.

I agree that it needs to remain.  From personal experience, I know I had to choose not to craft a knarr because my Body Strength was insufficient to drag one (and yes, I found this out by looking at the wurmpedia entry!) and my relevant character lives in deed that's on a very very shallow bay.

Please don't remove this info. Sometimes when one gets skills and characteristics up to high levels as a veteran, they forget what's very relevant to newer or lower-statted characters.

That stat requirement is very real ingame, why censor it out?

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 2

Dragging was a thing when ships could still get stuck. That is changed since years now.
Depth in water I find neat to have on the pages individually even if the info is on the main ship page.

Edit: Well if a newbie builds a ship on deed and can't use a ship transporter they may still want to try and drag it, as the push off deed is sooooo slow.

Edited by Cecci

I agree that I don't think info should be removed from the pages just because it's less useful than it once was (I'd still say it's useful enough to keep), but I agree the pages could do with a revamp. I'd support changing the cargo hold capacity to be in terms of large crates now (the commonly used unit now instead of rafts.) The ship quality thing could change (it sounds like the sort of information that could really confuse a new player if it isn't there.) Additionally, I'd keep the depth requirement too - again, it doesn't hurt to have some duplicate information when it's stuff that's very important to be able to use the boat/feature at all.

5 hours ago, Tristanc said:

Please don't remove this info. Sometimes when one gets skills and characteristics up to high levels as a veteran, they forget what's very relevant to newer or lower-statted characters.

That stat requirement is very real ingame, why censor it out?

if i wanted to censor it i could have just removed it without asking, i opened this topic to figure if some of those things that i think need removing were still useful to people.

something else im not sure about is that the rowing boat page has a security section that talks about how it comes with a lock when created and it can be moored, but it doesnt explain how to moor it using a mooring anchor. the security section is gone from other ship pages but maybe it should come back and have a line or two explaining how mooring works? the ship page doesnt explain how to use a mooring anchor either.

also about which keel section affects creation diferent pages say diferent things, some say "Quality of active keel section affects success chance for creation." one says "The quality of each of the keel sections affects the chance of being created" and another says this "the quality of the passive keel used in creation largely factors into % chance" .

il try to test which of those is true and change them. or just redirect to the keel section page for creation chance information instead?

Edit: not sure how to deal with this either "*20.10 [[mind logic]] is needed to command a small sailing boat, so [[premium]] is required."

should we change? make it more  like  "20.10 ming logic is needed to command a small sailing boat, so having [[premium]] at least once is required.

then adapt it to every other ship too?

Edit2: for now i edited the Vessel details sections for rowboat,sailboat and corbita to try to use the same wording and order for the information on all of them.

added "everybody can drag" to rowboat page, since it said nothing.

Edited by Tpikol

Edit: not sure how to deal with this either "*20.10 [[mind logic]] is needed to command a small sailing boat, so [[premium]] is required."

should we change? make it more  like  "20.10 ming logic is needed to command a small sailing boat, so having [[premium]] at least once is required.

then adapt it to every other ship too?

Sounds like a good change, though with that little typo corrected to Mind Logic. ;)

The old statement wouldn't be correct anymore so your suggested change definitely is more accurate.

Edited by Tristanc