Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Farewell Old UI

Hello all,

A few months ago we gave a retirement date to the Old UI. That date has come and passed, but it is now finally time to wish the Old UI a farewell.

Please continue to give feedback with regards to the 4.2 version of the client so that we can make it better for everyone.

I'll also have a development update post coming this week. We've had some changes to the team that I'd like to announce officially, plus maybe even some teasers of what's being worked on.

• Like 20
  • Cat 1

farewell to Wolfey and farewell to wurmpedia.

7 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Please continue to give feedback with regards to the 4.2 version of the client so that we can make it better for everyone.

where? this topic? looks like after the treasure hunting update budda and the rest stopped looking at the client issues thread. before that they were responding and fixing things.

Edited by Tpikol

+1 to teasers

Far future and possibility for customizable UI themes made by players?

(size/png-bitmap or w/e borders etc change to UI elements?) - simply fixes and shifts work hours from devs to fans when it comes to colorblind issues that could and maybe should be implemented, etc; alternatively lets players go nuts with light/dark/PINK or w/e wacky color scheme entertains them at the time

• Like 3

Please make every element entirely resizibleleeeeee instead of having to scale it all through the UI!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blazecraze said:

Please make every element entirely resizibleleeeeee instead of having to scale it all through the UI!

Please

• Like 3

Yay for progress!

Though, when do we get the ability to control volume on certain sounds? Ambient sound so pretty, donkey murder soooo loud!

Edited by Aeryck
  • Like 4
  • Cat 1

4 hours ago, Tpikol said:

farewell to Wolfey and farewell to wurmpedia.

where? this topic? looks like after the treasure hunting update budda and the rest stopped looking at the client issues thread. before that they were responding and fixing things.

The client issues thread is the best spot - apologies I've been rather busy on other soon-to-be-announced things so haven't had much time to clean up the remaining issues that I know of - but will be jumping back to that soon.

For others, please post any client issues you have in this thread: 

• Like 4

I've been using the Old UI for stability reasons for a long time, but after a recent string of crashes and bugs I switched to the New UI and actually found it more stable now. No more in-game crashes at least.

The one issue I do still have is that both clients frequently crash (usually when using multiple toons) just before the loading bar reaches the max (and at no other point during the load). These crashes literally reset my PC. I'd love to know what's causing this. Either way, the New UI doesn't seem any worse in this respect. When this happens it wipes my saved hotkey data and I have to copy/paste it in from a backup directory.

So I use the New UI now (finally) as it's generally better and more stable.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 5:58 PM, Blazecraze said:

Yes. And fix text areas on inscribed paper.

• Like 1

Ayyy...you lookin real good new UI...come here often?

On 8/2/2022 at 5:52 PM, Mowglia said:

I've been using the Old UI for stability reasons for a long time, but after a recent string of crashes and bugs I switched to the New UI and actually found it more stable now. No more in-game crashes at least.

The one issue I do still have is that both clients frequently crash (usually when using multiple toons) just before the loading bar reaches the max (and at no other point during the load). These crashes literally reset my PC. I'd love to know what's causing this. Either way, the New UI doesn't seem any worse in this respect. When this happens it wipes my saved hotkey data and I have to copy/paste it in from a backup directory.

So I use the New UI now (finally) as it's generally better and more stable.

The problem you're encountering is likely the same one that many others experience in other games. The issue you're having is not related to Wurm. No game software should cause your computer to crash and restart. That level of severity is almost always due to hardware or drivers. If you're on an NVIDIA card, I recommend trying the following. Note that this is on Windows 10, but you should be able to find a similar button in a similar location on Windows 11. I've added images in spoilers to assist.

1) Navigate to your Windows Settings, and go to the "Power & Sleep" tab. From there, there is an "Additional power settings" button that will lead you to a new window.

Spoiler

7VmOwJ2.png

2) This will bring you to your Power Options. Here, the most likely scenario is that you're currently on "Balanced" - the default setting when Windows is installed. Instead, change it to "High Performance" and the problem should be resolved.

Spoiler

I37iBL5.png

That should solve the problem where your computer resets when trying to launch Wurm, or any other game for that matter. You might be wondering why, so if you're interested, I'll leave a short explanation in the below spoiler.

Spoiler

NVIDIA graphics cards use a lot of power. The balanced mode that comes installed on Windows causes it to throttle your graphics card in order to conserve power. There was/are bugs in the NVIDIA drivers where if the graphics card does not receive enough power during certain operations, it causes the graphics card to reset. The CPU/motherboard detects this as a hardware issue (usually a blue screen, but not in this case) and resets your machine to try and avoid damaging the hardware. By changing the power plan to High Performance, this uncaps (sort of) the amount of power your graphics card can utilize, preventing it from ever failing to receive enough power.

This is an incredibly simplistic explanation of a very complex issue. I'm not a graphics card developer, and my explanation is second-hand (explained by another and being replicated). I have, however, seen the problem described in action and have seen this fix work to resolve it.

• Like 5

It has been an incredible 13 years for me, and I have nothing but admiration for this development staff and those that came before them.  I have run a lot of software development companies (not gaming lol) so I get it.  This back of house team has been amazing given what they had to work with and this current group is likely the best thing that ever happened to the game.  I've had the honor of being a player, a CA, a Game Master, a Shareholder, and an Assistant Head Game Master in my time here, and I have never once regretted being a part of this community (well there was that ONE guy).  Wurm is one of the most incredibly unique things I have ever been a part of!  Hopefully this is a step on the way to a more vibrant future for this amazing game and its more amazing community!

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

On 8/5/2022 at 10:04 AM, Sindusk said:

The problem you're encountering is likely the same one that many others experience in other games. The issue you're having is not related to Wurm. No game software should cause your computer to crash and restart. That level of severity is almost always due to hardware or drivers. If you're on an NVIDIA card, I recommend trying the following. Note that this is on Windows 10, but you should be able to find a similar button in a similar location on Windows 11. I've added images in spoilers to assist.

1) Navigate to your Windows Settings, and go to the "Power & Sleep" tab. From there, there is an "Additional power settings" button that will lead you to a new window.

Reveal hidden contents

7VmOwJ2.png

2) This will bring you to your Power Options. Here, the most likely scenario is that you're currently on "Balanced" - the default setting when Windows is installed. Instead, change it to "High Performance" and the problem should be resolved.

Reveal hidden contents

I37iBL5.png

That should solve the problem where your computer resets when trying to launch Wurm, or any other game for that matter. You might be wondering why, so if you're interested, I'll leave a short explanation in the below spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

NVIDIA graphics cards use a lot of power. The balanced mode that comes installed on Windows causes it to throttle your graphics card in order to conserve power. There was/are bugs in the NVIDIA drivers where if the graphics card does not receive enough power during certain operations, it causes the graphics card to reset. The CPU/motherboard detects this as a hardware issue (usually a blue screen, but not in this case) and resets your machine to try and avoid damaging the hardware. By changing the power plan to High Performance, this uncaps (sort of) the amount of power your graphics card can utilize, preventing it from ever failing to receive enough power.

This is an incredibly simplistic explanation of a very complex issue. I'm not a graphics card developer, and my explanation is second-hand (explained by another and being replicated). I have, however, seen the problem described in action and have seen this fix work to resolve it.

Thanks mate, this is informative post - My GPU is a GTX1080sc which although a few years old isn't exactly obsolete yet.

Although I did laugh, because obviously the first thing I did when I bought this (factory overclocked) PC was fix all the stuff like power settings, as you do.

Or did I? :blink:

I got paranoid and had to check, lol. And to my surprise the results were not straightforward.

I had two power schemes listed, the first "Balanced" and the second "Cortex" (Razer performance software). "Cortex" was selected, and we have to assume this scheme aims for maximum performance, otherwise what's the point? But "High Performance" was not listed (i.e., hidden), and that is a bit perplexing. If there's some issue with Cortex, or it's falling back on "Balanced" for whatever reason, you could well be right about this.

All my other games (and there are many) work absolutely fine, always have, apart from one: Valheim, which last time I played was inherently unstable on my PC (same kind of hard resets, but in this case at random points while playing).

There is more...

As I mentioned my PC is factory overclocked (by guys who know what they're doing - Scan UK), and also listed in the hidden power schemes is a bespoke power scheme supplied by them.

This has given me plenty to play around with. For now I've set the power scheme to "High Performance", but if that doesn't work consistently then I'll try the manufacturer's bespoke scheme (as it might be necessary when using this particular PC).

So thanks again for this post; it drew my attention to something I probably overlooked and might never have set up properly or noticed in the first place. Having a manufacturer set a bespoke power scheme is the kind of thing I'd remember. Even if this doesn't fix my particular issue, it's still a great post and we simply need to know the kind of stuff you explained towards the end :)

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 4:10 PM, Keenan said:

I'll also have a development update post coming this week

cant wait

the old wooden UI looked so much nicer to me... would be nice if we had the same choice for the new.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Smilingcat said:

the old wooden UI looked so much nicer to me... would be nice if we had the same choice for the new.

+100 agree with that

• Like 1

Not sure if this is related, but i have played on and off from Unlimited and noticed when i switch to desktop or the internet (wikipedia), the mouse pointer is off like an inch from the top position in the game. IE: i hit ESC to bring the menu, the mouse pointer isnt right on the spot, its like a inch below.

Now i dont know if this is effecting Wurm Online, but i do get weird crashes. Mostly from UI sort items, doing random things. Or even move the window in vary places to lock it, this happen alot of crash if i goto player deeds or abandoned sites. But i never had any problem with Unlimited, just Online only.

Edited by Darkelf

On 8/2/2022 at 9:10 AM, Keenan said:

I'll also have a development update post coming this week.

Still waiting...

Edited by Rocklobster
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 10:10 AM, Keenan said:

Hello all,

A few months ago we gave a retirement date to the Old UI. That date has come and passed, but it is now finally time to wish the Old UI a farewell.

I'll also have a development update post coming this week. We've had some changes to the team that I'd like to announce officially, plus maybe even some teasers of what's being worked on.

Curiosity....  Patience.... 

On 8/2/2022 at 4:10 PM, Keenan said:

hello?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Votip said:

hello?

On 8/2/2022 at 5:10 PM, Keenan said:

it's one thing I learned to never do, promise results within specific time.. I still do it.. rarely, sometimes this happens.

Things get busy, and I'm positive it will be out in due time. 

Work continues in the meantime so anything shared will have the benefit of that extra time,