DevBlog

Patch Notes 2-AUG-2022

Recommended Posts

  • To curb switching faith for bonuses, you now must have 30 faith to claim rewards from a rite event. Religion is intended to be a long-term choice in Wurm.
  • Bridge planning will now prevent illegal characters from being used in the bridge’s name.
  • Transferring to Chaos from Freedom at a natural border crossing is no longer possible when PVP crossings are disabled for anyone on the boat.
  • Added a new title for reaching 100 skill in Gardening. Congrats Richtje!
  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DevBlog said:

To curb switching faith for bonuses, you now must have 30 faith to claim rewards from a rite event. Religion is intended to be a long-term choice in Wurm.

 

Ah yes. Another QoL change. Thank you, keep them coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GZ Richtje
Good change for the religion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appreciate the update to prevent HERETICS changing faith for sleep. Now to bless Freedom with Mycelium. Long live Libila!

 

Also nice one Richtje. Pretty flowers in the far future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linking to a suggestion regarding patch change >

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, DevBlog said:
  • To curb switching faith for bonuses, you now must have 30 faith to claim rewards from a rite event. Religion is intended to be a long-term choice in Wurm.
  • Added a new title for reaching 100 skill in Gardening. Congrats Richtje!

Good change on the faith bonus :)  

Congratulations Ritchtje 🥳

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Firecat said:

Linking to a suggestion regarding patch change >

 

 

 

I'm going to mostly copy-paste here what I said in this thread...

 

I am one of the VERY few people that actually skill Preaching, playing with a main priest. People switching faiths for rites was the best thing for me to work on this skill.

 

Conversion itself is absolutely hands down the most effective way of gaining Preaching skill. People converting gave opportunities to go to public slayings and get confessions from many followers at a time, when Holy Crop had been cast recently, on top of performing the conversions themselves.

 

Now what am I left with?? Making a bunch of non-premium alts to convert back and forth every 7 days, and get (low difficulty, low tickrate, no CoC) confessions from. Most people are not going to follow Fo for any period of time after this change.

 

Please consider reevaluating the change so it is not so extreme. I'd propose making the faith requirement 20 instead of 30. One of my favorite things in Wurm is the quality of life bonuses you get for skill, outside of the more obvious things like higher quality resources. Things like seeing farm tiles, grass length, or tree age from further away as you skill Farming, Gardening, and Forestry.

 

Making the requirement 30 feels like a spit in the face by the dev team, because no matter how hard I work at Preaching, it's mechanically impossible to convert at this level. There has been plenty of discussion around this topic, and it seems like no one (players or staff) were considering the Preaching implications, even though it is the mechanic at the heart of the issue.

 

Of course reevaluating the Preaching mechanic would be welcome as well. 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevBlog said:

To curb switching faith for bonuses, you now must have 30 faith to claim rewards from a rite event. Religion is intended to be a long-term choice in Wurm.

xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pukaria said:

Making the requirement 30 feels like a spit in the face by the dev team, because no matter how hard I work at Preaching, it's mechanically impossible to convert at this level.

 

I replied in the other thread too, but I'll put it here as well: yeah, that's the point. The change is to make it so people don't change faith for rites at all. Not to gate it behind preaching.

 

8 minutes ago, Pukaria said:

Of course reevaluating the Preaching mechanic would be welcome as well. 🙃

 

That's the solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is preaching skill good for? Other than when converting someone they loose less faith? As far as I know does nothing for channeling so what's the big deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People weren't converting for sb before the rite rework because the sb only existed on Vynora, so technically you were able to take advantage of an oversight to grind your preaching until they realised what they had done and now you are almost back to what people had to grind with before, only a litte bit better off since some people may still switch *shrug*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shagsangel said:

What is preaching skill good for? Other than when converting someone they loose less faith? As far as I know does nothing for channeling so what's the big deal?

 

Players are converted to 1/5 of the priest's Preaching skill. It is the most relevant mechanic in this discussion, yet apparently overlooked by all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

 

I replied in the other thread too, but I'll put it here as well: yeah, that's the point. The change is to make it so people don't change faith for rites at all. Not to gate it behind preaching.

 

 

Yes, thank you. And sort of as I said in the other thread also: I feel gating it behind Preaching would have actually enriched the game. Instead they've removed depth and reward, and it's really sad to see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pukaria said:

 

Players are converted to 1/5 of the priest's Preaching skill. It is the most relevant mechanic in this discussion, yet apparently overlooked by all.

 

Yet the gain a 100 preaching priest can give a starting follower is 20faith, thats around 8 days of praying 5/days.

So yeah, it shaves off 8 days, but is that really such a big "win"? There are sermon groups to pump out faith extremely fast.

 

The change is good in my opinion.

Its just another one of those "moments of opportunity" that got patched. Just a feature the dev's didnt think would be min/maxed to such lengths for the bonusses, that they finally nerfed it.

Being here since 2009 I already lost count of all these kind of nerfs to systems/mechanics  because a select group were taking advantage off it (yeah, I know, you werent taking "advantage" of it, you just used a feature that was in the gam, but honestly, you knew this was not 100% how it was ment to work, just like fountainpans).

 

You got to squeeze out the benefits for as long as it lasted, be happy.

If you want another way of gain preaching skill, put up a suggestion with an alternative way (and not "revert this patch!!").

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Pukaria said:

 

Yes, thank you. And sort of as I said in the other thread also: I feel gating it behind Preaching would have actually enriched the game. Instead they've removed depth and reward, and it's really sad to see.

Agreed, big missed opportunity to add some depth and give relevance to the underutilized preaching skill. Instead they just add a barrier to allowing people to play the way they want.

Edited by Rockmodd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't understand why you gimp players sb gains to drive more players away. When people see a rite pop they play more. 5hs to grind let me buy more affinity food or more mats for panfilling. It keeps the market spinning. Remove 50% of the players from enjoying their free sb after you already nerfed it once to make it longer to actually get the rite. 😕 bad planning imo

 

Also to add on when I switch my faith to grab 5 hours I'm losing out on my 30faith vyn perk or lib/mag for my increase body gain. I also cannot take part in many missions as most completable ones require sacing and you need 10 faith in order to do so. I also already have 7 days until I can change again. Just seems redundant.

Edited by Atndy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers

 

I agree with the concept that Religion should at least have the appearance of a long-term commitment, not a shortcut to some change based on the calendar of events.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for skill it's pointless to follow any other faith than vynora anyway

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lycanthropic said:

Yet the gain a 100 preaching priest can give a starting follower is 20faith, thats around 8 days of praying 5/days.

So yeah, it shaves off 8 days, but is that really such a big "win"? There are sermon groups to pump out faith extremely fast.

 

Another person who doesn't understand the basics of faith??

Sermon groups are 100% irrelevant to this. We're talking about follower faith, not priest faith.

 

1 hour ago, Lycanthropic said:

Being here since 2009 I already lost count of all these kind of nerfs to systems/mechanics  because a select group were taking advantage off it (yeah, I know, you werent taking "advantage" of it, you just used a feature that was in the gam, but honestly, you knew this was not 100% how it was ment to work, just like fountainpans).

 

Who are you talking to?? You're quoting me, as "a select group...taking advantage" of rites?? You seem to have confused me with someone else.

I'm not a faith swapper. I'm a 100 faith Fo priest, as my main character.

 

Or are you saying that getting Preaching skill from conversions and confessions isn't intended?? Because no, 100% that is intended how it's supposed to work.

  

1 hour ago, Lycanthropic said:

You got to squeeze out the benefits for as long as it lasted, be happy.

 

No, I'm not going to "be happy" that the development of a game I pay to play is removing, rather than adding, depth. Wurm Online isn't a generous gift of the staff team. It's a product I pay for.

 

 

I'm done responding to you here, as your stance is muddled and barely accurate in any regard. I put thought and effort into trying to explain my positions here, in the hopes of us all getting a better game. I'm done spending time with someone who won't do the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pukaria said:

 

Another person who doesn't understand the basics of faith??

Sermon groups are 100% irrelevant to this. We're talking about follower faith, not priest faith.

 

 

Who are you talking to?? You're quoting me, as "a select group...taking advantage" of rites?? You seem to have confused me with someone else.

I'm not a faith swapper. I'm a 100 faith Fo priest, as my main character.

 

Or are you saying that getting Preaching skill from conversions and confessions isn't intended?? Because no, 100% that is intended how it's supposed to work.

  

 

No, I'm not going to "be happy" that the development of a game I pay to play is removing, rather than adding, depth. Wurm Online isn't a generous gift of the staff team. It's a product I pay for.

 

 

I'm done responding to you here, as your stance is muddled and barely accurate in any regard. I put thought and effort into trying to explain my positions here, in the hopes of us all getting a better game. I'm done spending time with someone who won't do the same.

LMAO!!! Stop being mad at people for not sharing the same opinion as you or not understanding the game like you...everyone plays the game the way they want and the devs has made a decision, whatever you say or think won't change their opinions ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shagsangel said:

LMAO!!! Stop being mad at people for not sharing the same opinion as you or not understanding the game like you...everyone plays the game the way they want and the devs has made a decision, whatever you say or think won't change their opinions ;)

 

5 minutes ago, Pukaria said:

I'm done responding to you here, as your stance is muddled and barely accurate in any regard. I put thought and effort into trying to explain my positions here, in the hopes of us all getting a better game. I'm done spending time with someone who won't do the same.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pukaria said:

 

 6 minutes ago, Pukaria said:

I'm done responding to you here, as your stance is muddled and barely accurate in any regard. I put thought and effort into trying to explain my positions here, in the hopes of us all getting a better game. I'm done spending time with someone who won't do the same.

 

You DO KNOW that is a form of repsonding right ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shagsangel said:

LMAO!!! Stop being mad at people for not sharing the same opinion as you or not understanding the game like you...everyone plays the game the way they want and the devs has made a decision, whatever you say or think won't change their opinions ;)

They are making valid points?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now