Sign in to follow this  
Firecat

Revert upcoming rites change in new patch.

Do you agree with this change?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the patch change?

There's a faith swap without losing faith for priests in the loyalty store, could mayhaps (as a compromise) add one for followers as well, at a cost (in marks) where it would be roughly equal to the equivalent of 5 sleep powders, while negating the cooldown period.

This way the costs/benefit would remain roughly equivalent if you cannot prepare by getting to 30 faith first, though still benefit from the free characteristics gains.

People complaining because "BUT MUH SLEEP BONUS" just go mining get maps get sleep powder
If you are doing it purely for the stats there are plenty of ways to grind those faster then the 10% gains you could get from rite casts but that requires effort and those complaining about it make me wonder like why is this such a big deal for you?

8 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

The whole point of the change is to not have people change faith for rites at all though, not to gate it behind preaching.

I get that, but ultimately I feel like that is not in the spirit of Wurm. This is a sandbox game, and one of the things Wurm does best is reward players in small, interlocking ways for doing the slow, painful grinds. They could have took the mechanics here and made it more rewarding for players all around, but instead they slapped a bandaid on it that I can't see as anything but the staff trying to force players into a particular playstyle.

6 minutes ago, Firecat said:

Why? I wanted to see the communities thoughts as not everyone wants to write something.

Cause to some of these obvious drop kicks, a difference in opinion is clearly a tribal 'us vs them' situation. 

Honestly not a fan of the change, also not a fan that some of the reason of it was player threats. Take action against the players for their behaviour, not actions against a system that isn't broken. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blazecraze said:

Cause to some of these obvious drop kicks, a difference in opinion is clearly a tribal 'us vs them' situation. 

Honestly not a fan of the change, also not a fan that some of the reason of it was player threats. Take action against the players for their behaviour, not actions against a system that isn't broken. 

If devs think it wasnt meant to work that way then it was broken

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blazecraze said:

not actions against a system that isn't broken. 

Well, it was broken. The intention of the follower system is that you pick a god and stay there. Today's patch notes confirm this. But as it was, the system encouraged switching every week, producing negative externalities in the process. So, it had to be tweaked.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

Well, it was broken. The intention of the follower system is that you pick a god and stay there. Today's patch notes confirm this.

Has it?

I've been a follower of Vynora for 13 years and I have never been told it was a permanent choice, in fact over the years ive been constantly reminded that I can change if I feel like it, or wish to walk a new path.

I'm not sure that the actions of a developer today can  change the true intention of the actions of the developers over a decade ago. 

tfw you put a poll expecting everyone to support you and instead everyone just tells you to stop complaining about not being able to abuse a ###### mechanic

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Blazecraze said:

Has it?

I've been a follower of Vynora for 13 years and I have never been told it was a permanent choice, in fact over the years ive been constantly reminded that I can change if I feel like it, or wish to walk a new path.

I'm not sure that the actions of a developer today can  change the true intention of the actions of the developers over a decade ago. 

It's not a permanent choice. If you wish to walk a new path, you are most welcome to do so.

This patch imposes no restrictions on you changing faith.

It temporarily reduces the reward that you'll get from rite spells after changing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

It's not a permanent choice. If you wish to walk a new path, you are most welcome to do so.

This patch imposes no restrictions on you changing faith.

It temporarily reduces the reward that you'll get from rite spells after changing.

Refer to

28 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

The intention of the follower system is that you pick a god and stay there. Today's patch notes confirm this. 

I was addressing Lisimbas comment that the intention was that you picked a god, became its follower/priest and stay there.

22 minutes ago, Blazecraze said:

Has it?

Not permanent. But something you stick with for a while. Like... more like how often you change jobs, and not so much like how often you change underpants.

22 minutes ago, Blazecraze said:

Well, it's today's devs that are in charge, not the ones last decade.

Love the patch change, it's best meme for the past 10 years.(only know wurm for the past 7)

Instead of penalizing the "abusers"(whiners with global casts).. now all should suffer™.

😀

• Like 1

Religion is intended to be a long term choice in Wurm.

That's what the patch notes say. It's the position of the Wurm developers. If you want to argue with Lisimba's characterization of that statement, based on your beliefs of what the devs' intentions were a decade ago... sure. Knock yourself out.

But nobody is forcing you to stay with a religion. All this patch did is remove an incentive for min/maxers to change religion frequently.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 3
  • Cat 1

7 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

Well, it's today's devs that are in charge, not the ones last decade.

1 minute ago, Sheffie said:

That's what the patch notes say. It's the position of the Wurm developers.

Intention =/= decisions made in hindsight when a problem is found.

That is all. 

Great patch now all the Rite Drama on NFI can be put to rest. Cast them when they are ready folks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tpikol said:

dont worry they can edit the options later. change the no to yes and yes to no, and now they won.

Can they? Wow, smart. Lol.🤭

3 hours ago, DevBlog said:

To curb switching faith for bonuses, you now must have 30 faith to claim rewards from a rite event. Religion is intended to be a long-term choice in Wurm.

Does Vynora dominate the devs and wurm people to think religion is intended to be a long-term choice in Wurm? A major religion in wurm?

Is wurm ur long-term choice?

Dogma of wurm?

As somebody who doesn't agree to the change that likely a large percentage of a rites total charge amount comes from people praying 5-6 times a day to achieve 20 faith again, without those people praying everybody is likely to see many less rites, even those who stayed on the same path.

I encourage everybody who enjoys benefitting from rites (The sb and characteristics) to please continue praying a few times a day to help keep the rituals at a decent pace and to spread the word to others as well to keep praying even once you reach 30 faith for the good of everybody.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SweetSerenade said:

As somebody who doesn't agree to the change that likely a large percentage of a rites total charge amount comes from people praying 5-6 times a day to achieve 20 faith again, without those people praying everybody is likely to see many less rites, even those who stayed on the same path.

I don't think the contribution of faith changers is all that much compared to that of dedicated priests. I checked my logs, I average about 180 prays a day on my Vyn priest over the last few months. That's just from praying in the background while I play my main. And I'm far from the only one who does that.

They want us to have a long term religion in the game which I agree with. Changing religions all the time shouldn't be allowed, just my opinion. It is a long term game so I agree with the change.

• Like 1

I have no problem with the change. In fact, I found the creed hopping kinda outlandish and strange, but well, in a sandbox game .. Only it troubles me that the constant bullying of a group of haters, whiners, and enviers caused it. They will soon find another target for mobbing.

Edited by Ekcin

4 hours ago, Lisimba said:

I don't think the contribution of faith changers is all that much compared to that of dedicated priests. I checked my logs, I average about 180 prays a day on my Vyn priest over the last few months. That's just from praying in the background while I play my main. And I'm far from the only one who does that.

Only prayers which would be eligible for faith gain are eligible to recharge the rite.

18 hours ago, Firecat said:

What does roleplaying have to do with the game mechanics?

This is more than roleplaying, this is lore. The dev states clearly in the post that the intended lore is that player religion is semi-permanent.

Lore is not roleplay, lore is game mechanics giving flavor to the game experience for all players. A typical "negative" game mechanic in other MMOs is when you cannot use auction house or NPCs in your enemy faction's territory. This adds flavor to the world build of the game, this is lore that is not just tales but implementation.

New game mechanic  =>  reinforces lore  =>  also makes roleplayers happy.

Edited by Cista
  • Cat 1

6 hours ago, SweetSerenade said:

Only prayers which would be eligible for faith gain are eligible to recharge the rite.

I'm fairly sure that's based on a long time misunderstanding. People asked Rolf if praying 5 times a day as a follower helps recharge the rite, and he replied it does. People took that to mean it's faith gain based, but that was never actually stated as far as I can find.

And in the Wurm Unlimited codebase it's not faith gain limited, every prayer counts.

If people want to revert it, then people need to find out what cause them to change the mechanic.
If u ask me, does the religion is intended to be a long-term choice in wurm cause the change in mechanic?
IMO, that's just a cover.
There were dramas which people discussed in different posts. Will link some down below.

They have one common fact. The global spells which ready to be casted were delayed and the spells were rite of spring(Vynora).
I believe if the rite of spring didn't delay, the devs probably won't step in. When the religious in wurm become the majority, there is a force. Not to mention the amount of devs who follow Vynora.

Lore incoming: Vynora likes people who cast her global spell as soon as possible. An intented delay of the global spell is a blasphemy.

Spoiler
On 5/6/2022 at 1:13 AM, Coach said:

People want to get sleep bonus as much as they can, no matter u are a stick with one deity player or a switching deity player. 

How to gain the global cast sleep bonus for most of the players in wurm is what we can discuss.

Lets assume the global cast spell cooldown is one month.
Majority of wurm players are crafter and most crafters are Vynora follower, ROS should cast every month no matter what, so most of players get sleep bonus per month.
Of course we know switching deity can get more sleep bonus per month, then ROD, HC and ROTS should be arranged by the switcher. The switcher should never change the schedule of ROS because most players are Vynora follower.

Ninja cast will not affect Vynora follower to gain sleep bonus, because they don't switch deity. 
Ninja cast only affect the switcher because they can't switch deity after seven days.
One of the reasons why people did Ninja cast because switcher affect their Vynora follower crafter(Majority of wurm player) to gain sleep bonus, because the switcher decided to delay ROS. 

Followers of Fo, Mag, Lib, ur sacrifice of 5% of specific skill gain (15% for fighting) can benefit most of the people in wurm to gain sleep bonus as much as they can. 

Vynora follower crafters gain sleep bonus per month. Switcher gain sleep bonus from ROD, HC and ROTS. It creates less Ninja casts if there is no delay of ROS (majority of the players to gain sleep bonus). Win win.

I don't mind the change to be honest, but it's pretty lame they do it because NFI controversy that have nothing to do with SFI, while SFI issue with freedom to chaos remains and 7 days faith change don't make sense anymore

• Like 1