Sign in to follow this  
Sarandosil

Sailor's Delight. Hand painted 2048 map. Making this killed me

I am dead. Dead I tell you!

This was a weird experiment. I hand painted the height map in photoshop and used generator fx for the rest. I wanted a map that was very sailing friendly but also require some canals and bridges so there's a lot of water and rivers. The whole thing is much flatter and closer to sea level than I might have liked due to how I generated the basic terrain and the fact I didn't know what I was doing when I started; it would look rather different if I had started it with what I know now but hey it's friendly to build on I guess

the irony of this is that now that I have it done I have very little motivation to actually play on it. It's too familiar to me, I know every inch of this map lmao

I included the wurmitems.db from the sqlite folder so that the black and white light shows up where I placed terrain for it but you're free to skip the file and put them wherever you want of course

The ores are left on the default from map generator FX but all the files requires to regenerate the map are included so if you want you can load the heightmap into the generator, create an ore layer with what you want and load the action file to get all the biomes.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uS7BDKXLcrAA-UNFXD504h-V-bStQ57g?usp=sharing

JyejOrH.png

Cvh2b8M.jpg

Edited by Sarandosil
  • Like 5

Thanks for sharing this!  Can't wait to explore.  🙂

(1024,1024) is a nice spawn point for this map, as it lands you in steppe so you can immediately find a horse.  🙂

EDIT:  Oops, I had Random Spawn ticked.  The center of the map is actually a nice wooded area with walnut trees.  Also good!

Edited by Batta
  • Like 1

gonna modify this a bit. some of the islands are a bit of a rough start and need tar so that you can build a rowboat to get around. The southeast islands could use a bit more wood too

Thank you! Excited to give this a try!

Edit: Clay is slightly scarce, not a serious problem unless you are one of the finicky settlers who want clay+trees+water+mine+cart-friendly  all bundled in one deed site. I think I found two location on the map with most of the above all together, but clay is scarcer than many maps. Not undoable though especially if you get a boat early. And you can always make coalpiles for the tar to make that boat. But if you DO go in anyway to add a bit of tar, maybe also a couple clays in "mainland" areas close to trees. It's mostly in deserts or sanded islands meaning there are very few "perfect" spots to deed -- which is not necessarily a bad thing, it forces players to make some choices on what is most important to them. If you have fewer than 5 players there are fewer issues but if you have more, there could be disputes about deeding over those accessible clay spots. Someone making a GM to place the altars and a starting spawn area can also add clay and tar to a start area, though. Once everyone makes a boat a first priority, most other difficulties vanish. And, we don't  have enough maps making a boat early on a big priority, so this map is great for that.

Nothing impossible and does add a bit more challenge which is always good!

It is not an "easy" map but I think more enjoyable for that very reason.

And it is an EXCELLENT map for people who enjoy exploration! I love the shape of the map and the way it encourages you to get out of your deed and travel.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Heh I think it's boring when all the resources are on your deed. I specifically wanted a map to play on that encouraged you to build a ship and sail around to get resources, meaning no location should have everything but yeah I think the balance isn't quite there. I think I developed a warped sense of distance because I got so used to flying around in GM mode when I was checking for problems when painting it and didn't realize just how much faster it is than traveling normally.  Need to check the swimming distances also , I was surprised when I started playing on it and died swimming from mount fuji to the black light, I definitely thought that was a doable distance when I was painting it.

There's another problem too, I didn't realize the no building zone around the lights would be as large as it is. Right now the islands around the skull island are covered by it to some degree, so I need to move the islands around slightly. so version 2 is coming at some point but I might not get around to it for quite a while, life is busy atm