Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

Support for Stormblade, a Wurmian going through some very tough times

Some of you may or may not be aware about some really bad things that happened to one of Wurm’s nicest, most giving and most compassionate players - Stormblade, as well as his partner and Wurm player Jabirta. Storm and Jabirta are going to be ok, but the next few months/years are going to be extremely tough for them.

Last week, Storm’s house burnt down. He and Jabirta lost absolutely everything - including their four pets. Storm was injured in the fire and sustained second degree burns to his arms and face. What makes this even worse is that both Storm and Jabirta are disabled - Storm is a double amputee and uses a wheelchair, while Jabirta has MS and has reduced mobility. This will make it much more difficult for them to rebuild their lives, as they’re stuck on a (small) fixed income. They also only recently moved into this property, which had been remodelled to be wheelchair accessible.

All across the Independence server and the Wurm community as a whole, there are countless people who Storm has helped. In all of my years of playing Wurm, Storm is right up there with the best of the best as one of the most helpful and good-natured players I've ever come across. Even though Storm is in a very tough situation IRL, there are so many people here who appreciate and care for him, thanks to his endless generosity and kindness. We want this thread to be a massive reminder to Stormblade that he is valued and cared for by the Wurm community.

Maybe you’re one of the many new players Storm has helped start out in the game, maybe Storm has been a long-time friend of yours, or maybe you only know Storm in passing - we want you to post messages of support below, and retell stories of how much Storm has helped you. 

We want Storm to know that the Wurm online community cares for him and misses him, and that no matter how long it takes for him to get things together again and rebuild his life, Wurm will always be waiting. ❤️

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 23

Some of us are also trying to help Storm and Jabirta IRL - please get in touch via PM to myself or to someone in our alliance on Indy* if you’d like to contribute directly to this out of your own choice. (No pressure at all, though!)

*the Shepherds of Gnome, of which Chaoshaze, Hvergi, Lilychaos or myself could tell you more about our plans.

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 5

Sorry to hear of your loss Stormblade and Jabirta, condolensces. If there's something I can do to help you out, pls send a forum PM with any requests. Best of luck to the both of you and hope things start looking up soon.

Edited by Gumbo
  • Like 3

So very sorry to hear this Stormblade (and Jabirta , whom I have never had the pleasure of meeting). I hope and pray that each day you will hang in there and never give up hope, and that you be able to rebuild and return one day. Best wishes

Edited by Goldfinch
  • Like 4

OMG... This is horrible.  I have known Stormblade since he was a neubie many years ago.  A marvellous chap with a heart of Gold. 

We hope both of you recover okay.  Skyefox and I are both happy that you got out alive.

For DoctorCheese.  Understand you are organizing a way to help these fine folks out.  If you decide it is to be a Go Fund Me page or what ever, please do post the link in here.

With heavy heart and wishing you both a speedy recovery,

Hughmongus and Skyefox.

Co-Leaders - The Albia Consortium

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Docterchese said:

Some of us are also trying to help Storm and Jabirta IRL - please get in touch via PM to myself or to someone in our alliance on Indy* if you’d like to contribute directly to this out of your own choice. (No pressure at all, though!)

*the Shepherds of Gnome, of which Chaoshaze, Hvergi, Lilychaos or myself could tell you more about our plans.

Wurm rules do not allow posting links to funding sites, so anyone wishing and being able to help, please see the quoted post and contact @Doctercheseor someone from their alliance (perhaps a list of names would be helpful here) in a forum PM.

Best wishes to Stormblade and Jabirta, I hope they will soon find relief for their pain and help to rebuild their lives; such a tragedy is heartbreaking, but they have to be strong for each other and carry on.

• Like 5

Those pets meant the world to Stormblade. He adored them. He's had such a rough time the past year, and now this. 

You're both in my thoughts @Stormbladeand @Jabirta

Edited by ChampagneDragon
wrong name
  • Like 3

Hi everyone, just wanted to say, thank you and love you all for the warm thoughts and support.

The house took 3 years to remodel and less than an hour to be gone. 

When you cook with oil please Please be very careful because all it takes is a few drops for a flash fire to start.

We've managed to salvage some clothes, this kindle, but both computers burnt to scrap and everything else.

The fire just spread so fast, Jabirta and I was cut off from each other. I thought she was trapped in the fire. The cats where no where to be seen ( they passed from the smoke, all together so there was no pain for them ) I grabbed a shirt covered my face and tried toget get to her. She got out the side door, the flame shot out from the kitchen hitting my left arm and left side of face. I got out the front, ( those know my joke about walrusing ) and floped out the front door rolling and scooting across the yard till some friends grabbed me and pulled me to saftey.

All of this took place in about the time it took for that to be read.

Everyone has been so supportive during this awful time. With words, hugs, prayers and anyway they've been able to.

Lilychaos put a page together for a way of friends and family to help if they can.  A very very close friend asked how they could help, I said I could use a hug, they sent me 3.

Never fear, I Will be back, cheerful, moody, lots of fun, always there, and never to far to come help.

Love your family, pets, friends and neighbors. Don't waste your energy on hate instead spend it on the ones you love and care for. Don't drag someone down but instead help lift them up, and always always be ready to give someone a hug, cause you never know that just might the differerance in someones life.

Love you all

Stormblade ( Mike )

Edited by Stormblade
  • Like 24
  • Cat 1

All the very best  to Stormblade and Isleana.

It is at times like this that we remember that behind our care-free avatars there is a real human being pressing the keys.

Hoping that you both recover to the maximum possible and 'haste ye back'

Wurm is definitely waiting for you both!

• Like 3

A tragic loss like this is horrifying and impossible to manage alone. I have a ton of faith in the Wurm community that folks will do what they can to help.  Sometimes that means sending good energy, sometimes it means contacting the folks organizing things to do more than that. If you do want to do more, please contact Docterchese for options. There is a GoFundMe, and getting that out to groups that help folks out in times like this is a huge help. Churches, gaming groups other than Wurm, folks you have the same interests with are all great options for that. Some of us can't afford to give money, but we can work together to give time, energy, and bandwidth to the things that will help them going forward. It will take a bit of communicating here because a lot can't be posted due to forum rules, but there is a contact person, so please take a moment to connect with them if you have resources.  Let's all put a net under this fall and bring them home.

• Like 6

I'm so sorry for your losses, @Stormbladeand @Jabirta- I've spoken to Stormie a lot over the years, unfortunately I've not had the pleasure of meeting Jabirta properly yet.

Storm has been so excited about his home for a long time now, giving plenty of updates as things have progressed, and with how many times we've spoken about the silly antics of our respective pets, its heart breaking to hear the news about the entire situation.

I hope you both are able to bounce back from this and I look forward to the time I can talk with you again. (and hopefully meet Jabirta properly!)

You are both in my family's thoughts.

• Like 5

I am so sorry for the loss of your home and fur babies. I am so glad you both are safe, however. I havent had the pleasure of conversing with either of you much apart from at events and sometimes in public chats but from what I am reading there is a huge group of friends standing behind you. Again, I am so sorry for your losses and I hope your recovery goes well. Please if there is anything I can personally do for you don't hesitate to ask. 

• Like 4

I couldn't even imagine going through all of that. I wish you both a speedy recovery and rebuild and hope your future is blessed with tons of love and hugs.

• Like 3

I don't personally know these folks, but clearly very special positive people who I send my sincerest thoughts to for a quick recovery and restored home situation. The loss of the furry family as well as a home is particularly hard, thank goodness you both came through alive and overall well at least. Very very sad situation and I am truly sorry to hear of it. Well done Doctorchese and others for helping with a gofundme page etc, shame we can't link it here but hopefully you will get many many replies from this info being here.

• Like 4

I can only imagine how hard this is for you - sending positive vibes and all the best wishes!  Hope things get better for you both really soon!

• Like 4

My heart goes out to you both. While I was on hiatus from Wurm due to tight finances and working and attending college full-time while caring for my oldest daughter and pregnant with my youngest daughter in April 2019, our house burned down, taking our three cats with it (they too passed from smoke inhalation rather than the fire, thank Fo). Our house burned due to slipshod wiring (if a house has both copper and aluminum wiring and unused outlets start melting, GTFO), but I still keep wishing we had moved or done just about anything differently leading up to that day and our escape from the inferno. Therapy has helped a lot, too, though it doesn't bring back what was lost. I still miss my cats and a plushie cat I had since I was a very little girl.

While I don't have much in the way of money since I became disabled, I'll do what I can to help. Community was an essential component to us getting back on our feet and starting to heal. 

And if you need someone to vent to who understands how it feels to experience such a catastrophic loss firsthand, my PMs are always open. 

• Like 9
  • Cat 1

I just want to say thank you everyone, for all your warm thoughts and wishes.  

We've had a few tears from all the love you all have sent us in this trying time.

Big hugs to each and every one of you.

Stormblade & Jabirta

• Like 3

Stormblade and Jabirta, there are truly no words to even describe your losses. Sending so many positive thoughts and love your way for recovery: physical, emotional, and house-al. 

• Like 2

Stormblade! OMG! Everything Doctorcheese said about him is true. I never met Jabirta, but it only follows that an awesome dude would attract an awesome lady!

All I can do is send recovery thoughts, but I sincerely hope you both recover soon! OMG! Please stay strong. Wurm is a much better place because of you!

• Like 2

I hardly know you guys but my thoughts and prayers go out to you , i do know what it is like to lose a home to fire so i do understand how some of that feels.  I fervently hope your situation improves and your recovery is swift and relatively painfree considering the situation.

Traipse, Lodge Owner Fir Retreat Independence

• Like 3

Stormblade and Jabirta, i don't think our paths have crossed on my travels but you are fellow Wurms and i am truly sorry to hear this news.

Like everyone else here sending you postive vibes and i hope that in the future i can get to meet you both in Wurm for a hug!

Please take care.

• Like 4

So sorry this happened. A terrible terrible time.  My prayers and thoughts are with you.

• Like 2

Storm and Jabrita, 

I know things suck now, but things are going to get better. They have to. Hang in there. Relief is on the way.

Lyhr

• Like 2