Sign in to follow this  
jaytoo

Archaeology/Restoration Rebalance - Public Testing

36e200082157aa01015b3b823ae0446d.png

[19:57:02] The fragments look like they might fit together if they were made of the same material.
[19:57:04] A small fragment from a peg. You think you could recreate the peg if you had a bit more material. It is made from wood.
[19:57:06] A small fragment from a peg. You think you could recreate the peg if you had a bit more material. It is made from birchwood.

On Live server right now

also..

ecdde70bbc9c2e125c8bf6c6c87f15f9.png

Finished butchering knife, metal from found identified fragment + 2 restored fragments => produced item was silver metal butchering knife with nothing... no enchants, no runes. Doesn't seem like boosted chances for enchant/runes it should be pure 3x found identified fragments.

Edited by Finnn
and no.. no old fragments.. all are new after arch patch

37 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Finished butchering knife, metal from found identified fragment + 2 restored fragments => produced item was silver metal butchering knife with nothing... no enchants, no runes. Doesn't seem like boosted chances for enchant/runes it should be pure 3x found identified fragments.

Instantly identified fragments have a better chance of producing runes than before, which was 0. They now get some chance but your roll still needs to be highish to result in runes.

44 minutes ago, Finnn said:

I thought I read something about removing benefits for improvement from pottery items, am I wrong?

It has been asked for, It has not been prioritized over other changes and left off due to limited dev time.

2 minutes ago, jaytoo said:

It has been asked for, I have not implemented it.

my bad.. I thought that was implemented, woops

2 minutes ago, jaytoo said:

Instantly identified fragments have a better chance of producing runes than before, which was 0. They now get some chance but your roll still needs to be highish to result in runes.

you're talking about mystic code there, I am 97arch/99restoration and that just seemed off, it's also known to players outside of whoever read wu code, if all fragments matter or just the one to which we combine items, etc.. 

Are there any plans to have some in-game legend with basic and advanced tips and knowledge for archaeology for that kind of reason, something like flat legend explaining basics or unlocking achievements and learning how parts work with time or something, anything beyond metagaming and reading wu-code to be good at this skill and producing results.

Edited by Finnn

44 minutes ago, Finnn said:

36e200082157aa01015b3b823ae0446d.png

You're not identifying new birchwood fragments right? We caught an issue transferring all of the existing birchwood fragments to wood and it will be resolved on next restart.

• Like 3

All fragments are gathered after the arch patch, so if it not supposed to be there.. somehow it must have happened, if I find "trash" like items from other people or mine before laying around I keep it in separate container just to prevent mixing old and new fragments and I am not combining anything from the new with old frags.

ok.. that solves this one then.

Got another chain pants, started with found-identified fragment, combined to it two which I've identified from normal frags with cleaning  but again I got blank item - chain pants, gold.

22 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Are there any plans to have some in-game legend with basic and advanced tips and knowledge for archaeology for that kind of reason, something like flat legend explaining basics or unlocking achievements and learning how parts work with time or something, anything beyond metagaming and reading wu-code to be good at this skill and producing results.

A large portion of this update was to simplify the process to this end.

The code readers knew before the patch that using the wrong tools ended up with more runes, they knew you could drastically increase chance at getting an iron item by having a low skill person identify fragments and using those to combine to a rare fragment. 

Now it's made to work the obvious way. Better tools and skill and not failing make better results.

I don't have dev time to implement a whole journal system for it but in general the target is for someone who doesn't sort out failures or anything to see about 2 rune average on tool heads and about 1 average on full tools at 100 skill. That leaves room for some above average rolls and when they get an above average roll it's more likely to be iron.

This is a thing, unsure if intended or not, most have no type but one does

12f430fb31076032f1b1ff786a73e62b.png

24 minutes ago, jaytoo said:

A large portion of this update was to simplify the process to this end.

The code readers knew before the patch that using the wrong tools ended up with more runes, they knew you could drastically increase chance at getting an iron item by having a low skill person identify fragments and using those to combine to a rare fragment. 

Now it's made to work the obvious way. Better tools and skill and not failing make better results.

I don't have dev time to implement a whole journal system for it but in general the target is for someone who doesn't sort out failures or anything to see about 2 rune average on tool heads and about 1 average on full tools at 100 skill. That leaves room for some above average rolls and when they get an above average roll it's more likely to be iron.

just a thought.. maybe we could receive some sort of slightly better chances for iron with skill for 50-70-90-100 like the title stepping goes what exactly boost or if that makes any sense up to you, but 50/50 roll at top skill and most items being kind of completely useless is pretty grim situation. (by most I had a bit over 50% beind not iron or steel, and other players reported similar results, we could be with bad rolls ofc)

That's where we desperately need content update, not just balancing of numbers and patching, but also something new to archaeology like adding runes replacing/extracting/etc... items just end up useless. (I can go wild with the ideas and so on and I normally am balanced in my suggestions, things can easier be rounded around skill, anybody can get skill and progression is only from 1 to 100, 1-90 can be achieved in 1-2 weeks with casual playing and few tips, obviously not too much fun to do, but it's only done once). I don't get why some people shift and run away from gaining skill, it's a game with skill-branches and it's part of character's growth and abilities to do all sorts of things in the game.

I had 2 high enchants so far, 99woa scissors and 100 coc trowel which came out with good metals, trowel is iron so perfect there - free skiller.

I also had 4x runed steel shovel with some not bad runes but being without 10%gathering or flat 10% speed on it, it's with no purpose, at best can be utilized as smelted metal lump if we lack any sort to prevent such rolls from being useful.

dadffb8bff38367af3c41c0bebadacdb.png

I don't see it as meta if it's available to everybody, the unbalanced part about archaeology is:
- non-improveable masks, so ql matters a lot there just for bragging but still...;

- high ql fragments allow players to obtain ql90 or higher iron with ease, you dont need much to maintain few items

- high ql fragments also allow obtaining of weapons and tools directly at ql90/+ and selling them or using them, skipping or invading market that way, but lacking skill to else produce such;

- moon metals, only pve way to obtain them at any time and place, with limit to player time investment and ability to hold ground vs wild attacks usually(other pve is rifts; and pvp events or spending to buy such from npc or players);

- only way to obtain the "PvE - HOTA statues" or rather just archaeology statues and statuettes, wurm players are obsessed by hoarding and collecting "rare" visuals of all kinds

There's plenty that archaeology content provides right now that's overpowering, but growing the content and providing further options to make the found items a bit more useful will be only a plus in my opinion, even if we end up having "gamble" like doing something to the items to "fix" it from bad metal or only bad set of runes and that could result a shatter of the item, it's still a plus.. it's 1 less item to frown upon for being "good" but useless as it is otherwise with no control. . 

*feature request* obviously daydreaming, but still.. suggestion for useful feature

Is it possible to have a shortcut or some way to copy the tooltip from items? just the odd short rune calls and enchants?

IMO makes sense with bulk of these to just have same information visible as item name and not having to point over to force the hover tooltip.

To explain it in other way... some way to either copy into clipboard item's tooltip information with enchant and runes or directly force the name to an item by pressing something.

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Got another chain pants, started with found-identified fragment, combined to it two which I've identified from normal frags with cleaning  but again I got blank item - chain pants, gold.

combined at last an item with starting fully identified 80+ql fragment with 2 cleaned frags which resulted into file, lead with 1 rune:

[22:00:52] A bronze rune of Magranon has been attached, so it will gather resources at a higher quality level (5%) and increase the time an enchant holds its power on the item (5%)

\\ completely off topic.. 

on live servers we still have these "birchwood" and "wood" fragments from new found fragments, collected after this rebalancing patch. Are there plans to convert them to new "wood" type?

I am also revisiting old fragments I had from some time before this patch with the major archaeology changes, haven't reached to the point to combine and find the old iron/metal type fragments, but will be good to have somewhere a statement what happens with these if they are discontinued as bugged or not..

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

\\ completely off topic.. 

on live servers we still have these "birchwood" and "wood" fragments from new found fragments, collected after this rebalancing patch. Are there plans to convert them to new "wood" type?

I am also revisiting old fragments I had from some time before this patch with the major archaeology changes, haven't reached to the point to combine and find the old iron/metal type fragments, but will be good to have somewhere a statement what happens with these if they are discontinued as bugged or not..

Would you mind opening a ticket so we can check out those fragments you have left, we where pretty confident this weeks reset had caught the rest and would love to take a look at it.

4 hours ago, Darklords said:

Would you mind opening a ticket so we can check out those fragments you have left, we where pretty confident this weeks reset had caught the rest and would love to take a look at it.

sure, have old and new ones but birchwood remained somehow

Only just noticed a possible inconsistency with shield fragments. (live servers)

6tSWK5y.jpg?3

The ones that are labelled are from Caches (all small ones are the same, Cache or not), but as you can see small ones don't have a metal type after the 1/3 , is this intentional?

No small metal shield fragments in metal, alloy or moonmetal?

Edited by Hailiah
live servers

Since we get now more Runes on items do they even stack if they have a similare effect? And If yes, additiv or multiplicativ? On a lot of them its hard to realy determin the value thanks to a need of a big sample size.

seen items with multiple 2 or 4 runes where 2 are with 5+5% gathering;

so far haven't seen +15% gathering buff;

I've seen 1.. maybe 1-2 more items with -15% weight;

Will be interesting to see more speed or damage reduction stacked..

sadly there's absolutely no way to fix any of the partial or complete nonsense rolls.. if you get -20% durability on steel pickaxe.. it's still useless, you can't ever put more or replace runes to make it flexible or useful for less damage taken or +10% gathering... that could be improved with some balancing and rune slot management .. but so far is considered a no-NO content

Can we have the token size/volume reduced by ... a lot?

Right now they are actually insanely small but seem to take up a lot of space in containers, it's hard to contain these..

Also I can't check right now.. but can we dye and rune these?

Could be used as painted light source on "curbs" or places out/indoors...

Can confirm moonmetal fragment find from a cache found yesterday on Release, however with an old report*

Also note some statue frags don't have a type and some do i.e. marble.

GlmsBDR.jpg?2

Edited by Hailiah

Do you think something like that could be a thing.. or achievement list/log/journal page/tab.. whatever... just a list of deeds to unlock and track what a player have found on a server, maybe how many times it uncovered a token there?

Also % of the deeds on the server.. so players have some idea how crazy they are dipping into their arch madness to find all fallen deeds, and so on..

Also the quoted.. are there any plans to tie cartography maps with arch in any way?

On 8/31/2022 at 4:38 PM, Hailiah said:

Can confirm moonmetal fragment find from a cache found yesterday on Release, however with an old report*

Also note some statue frags don't have a type and some do i.e. marble.

GlmsBDR.jpg?2

Shields do not have any material type, maybe there was a mask as well

I haven't found even one alloy weapon, these are either rare among items or disabled/skipped from rolls

btw how "normal" are these rolls.. it's not the first one to roll.. but it's a bit unusual to get sub ql1

b6a8bc300efc60f468315e7d981139b5.png

same thing can happen with rolls from butchering actions

Does archaeology - investigate action roll for map when this happens?

[00:15:47] You have a moment of inspiration...

[00:16:41] <Finn> [00:15:47] You can't seem to find anything of use.

"Great" experience to get that to roll after 300+ fragments only to see this and assume that most likely that doesn't even trigger a roll for map chest

Could somebody confirm if it's intended to have the 20% chance when this scenario plays or it directly skips everything if there's no fragment piece found based on failed action and no fragment?..

I Feel like NFI could use a "temporary" boost to deed value mechanics, even finding ideal deeds that have been founded within a week of server release, with high skill and 95+ql reports, it's still extremely hard (or even impossible?) to find more than 10 fragments in any cache or the nice moonmetal tokens, this is pretty bad compared to SFI where i remember i could easily find 22+fragments in a single cache. we could use a bit of of a boost for at least a few RL years.

• Like 1