Sign in to follow this  
jaytoo

Archaeology/Restoration Rebalance - Public Testing

9 hours ago, jaytoo said:

Planks have replaced arrow shafts in the fragment drop table

Oooh! That's very exciting!! We'll be able to make so many more items with special wood colours :D So many other really nice changes here too! Thank you devs!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

if you are working on runes making sense i found this on a carving knife blade:

Tool blades are not supposed to get that rune so if it was then let me know. It appears that you completed a carving knife rather than a blade based on the description. A blade would only get general damage/shatter/weight runes. By design all tools have equal chances of all tool runes in addition to the general rune table. To specify what runes could apply to what specific items would probably be unbalanced. Arch is really a random generator at heart with this update we just put these tools into the correct rune table. So at this time I don't have plans to further narrow the table for runes based on item. I understand that this can be frustrating because a 5 rune tool can be filled with useless or low value runes but you can also now create a glowing +25% gather ql -10% usage speed pickaxe. So both ends of the spectrum exist. The gambling style aspect for me makes the skill repeatedly exciting long term.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

and this on a rake:

FhoAlKF.png

Actually weight and size rune are beneficial on tools

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

the name of some items is inconsistent about where the material goes, some have material before the name of the item while most have it after the name of the item. easy to see in  pottery items.

This may be a symptom of a more complicated problem overall. But I'll look into why this is happening later tonight to see if there is a fix that is reasonable in effort. Correct me if I'm wrong, It's annoying but I don't think it has much impact on gameplay. If it proves to be difficult we might release without a fix.

17 minutes ago, jaytoo said:

Tool blades are not supposed to get that rune so if it was then let me know. It appears that you completed a carving knife rather than a blade based on the description. A blade would only get general damage/shatter/weight runes

yes this was my mistake i had a blade too and got confused. it was a full knife.

the name of shields and other items being wierd is annoying but yeah we could live with it if it comes from a bigger problem.

Is it possible to make village tokens a little more useful? For example, it would be neat if you could use a village token to re-find the spot it came from, for when you'd want to do more archaeology there. It could work like a Lurker pendulum that's tuned specifically to a single village.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jaytoo said:

Overall my goal was for it to be on average easier to get runes.

I honestly don't get it.. Runes in general are super easy to make and also kinda useless ever since 10% gathering rune was nerfed. Now massive dev time spent reworking complete system just to gain an extra "slight glow" on the otherwise useless item that could be crafted and enchanted way better and way faster in the meantime leaving the areas of the game that are crying and waiting for dev time in the queue for like 10 years... 

Are any of the issues with unidentified frags crossing servers being addressed?

11 minutes ago, Spacy said:

Are any of the issues with unidentified frags crossing servers being addressed?

No but Is there a bug report on that?

While you are poking Archaeology please consider this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaytoo said:

I belive there is, i think even I reported it among other peoples. Upon crossing server with frags after cleaning frags become messed up old prepatch  frags iron instead of metal, armour with no type, steel instead of alloy. Will copy link in edit if i find it, hold on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaytoo said:

I THINK this post highlights the server crossing issue. It's an older post but still happens as far as I know. I don't think it was fixed. It happened to me when I moved from Harmony to Cadence, I've since already uncovered and combined frags from there, it was more confusing than a real problem, but either way still a bug imo :)

Edited by Red_
  • Like 1

Here is my report as well, and yeah i can confirm crossing server with fragments messes them up, still happening 

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 1

I'll look at it but hadn't planned any changes in server transfer code. Is there anything more severe than the label going to iron/steel? Are these fragments still producing runes?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jaytoo said:

I'll look at it but hadn't planned any changes in server transfer code. Is there anything more severe than the label going to iron/steel? Are these fragments still producing runes?

From my experiences, 'alloy' will still combine with 'steel', 'metal' still combined with 'iron', and it didn't seem to affect any particular outcome on runes/casts from what I remember -- unfortunately I didn't really keep track of those particular end results, but if anything else comes in the future I'll be sure to post a bug report.

Its mostly very annoying for sorting fragments, once you combine two iron it becomes metal, or iron with metal, I don't belive you can combine with iron activatet or was it otherway around, can't remember

Lots of interesting changes here to look forward to.

One thing that would massively improve my own experience of archaeology would be this:

Allow smelting of items with enchantments/runes without the need to dispel first.

To keep players from accidentally smelting valuable items (as under the current mechanic), this could be added as a distinct new command (e.g. 'smelt enchanted item') either buried in a sub-menu on r-click or purely as a keybind option.

Why add this? So players feel that something has been gained even when restored metal items turn out to be rather junky (too low ql, wrong metal). The work threshold for salvaging metal is currently too high with the requirement to dispel, often multiple times, before being able to smelt. Plus, dispel is gated behind players having a priest to cast it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Caolon said:

Lots of interesting changes here to look forward to.

One thing that would massively improve my own experience of archaeology would be this:

Allow smelting of items with enchantments/runes without the need to dispel first.

To keep players from accidentally smelting valuable items (as under the current mechanic), this could be added as a distinct new command (e.g. 'smelt enchanted item') either buried in a sub-menu on r-click or purely as a keybind option.

Why add this? So players feel that something has been gained even when restored metal items turn out to be rather junky (too low ql, wrong metal). The work threshold for salvaging metal is currently too high with the requirement to dispel, often multiple times, before being able to smelt. Plus, dispel is gated behind players having a priest to cast it.

+1 this would be a fantastic addition all on its own.

Edited by Aleck

On 7/27/2022 at 3:06 AM, jaytoo said:

A bug preventing sand from becoming investigable more than once per server restart has been fixed.

Amazing!

@jaytooi'm curious, what are your thoughts on moonmetal fragments? From what i  understood from code, they are only obtainable via caches and not normal investigation, i've done a lot of archaeology and found only one moonmetal armour fragment in  my life. I get that they should be rare, but seems to me that they are too rare currently...

Also i missed to thank you on touching archaeology, current state was so bad that these changes seems like step in right direction.

• Like 1

I'm curious if there's any change planned for buff to skill and toolset, if you are 90+ on archaeology and/or restoration and use very high ql tool to investigate and identify fragments?

Currently it's mostly based on land and history, report paper ql and the now fixed wogic with "identifying with wrong tool".

Are there plans to regularly update the content available from archaeology?

On 7/28/2022 at 11:19 PM, jaytoo said:

From my memory (I avoid doing server crosses because of this) it removes all casts and runes from items made with these frags.  It also makes them Steel and Iron, and I think (hard to remember cause I don't do it) that you can combine the iron, but not the steel.  

Also, what will happen to all my arrow frags?  Will they transform into plank frags or will they be a "collectors" item?

I would +1 to add in a "remove all casts & runes" option when smelting, or even a special cast to be put onto a smelter to allow for that.  Probably beyond the scope of what you have been looking at, but would help a lot.

5 minutes ago, Spacy said:

I would +1 to add in a "remove all casts & runes" option when smelting, or even a special cast to be put onto a smelter to allow for that.  Probably beyond the scope of what you have been looking at, but would help a lot.

I'm putting in a bypass question for smelting enchanted things. Several people have requested it here. Probably will go to Druska later tonight.

17 hours ago, Finnn said:

Are there plans to regularly update the content available from archaeology?

I like archaeology and so will probably return to it occasionally. That said, it's probably the most frequently updated skill in the game. It has multiple seasonal event fragments now. 

20 hours ago, kochinac said:

jaytooi'm curious, what are your thoughts on moonmetal fragments?

i think they should be more common but it's in discussion

• Like 3

Live on Druska:

You can now smelt items with enchantments and runes.

89pTGiU.png

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Spacy said:

Also, what will happen to all my arrow frags?  Will they transform into plank frags or will they be a "collectors" item?

At present the plan is they will transform to plank fragments.