Sign in to follow this  
jaytoo

Archaeology/Restoration Rebalance - Public Testing

Hi all,

Below you will find our intended changes to Archaeology and Restoration. We invite you to playtest and comment!

Archaeology has had a number of bugs or balance issues that we have received feedback on and we have made these changes based on that feedback. Due to the size of this rework we want to test the balance and functionality before going to live. We have put these changes on the test server Druska for testing.

• Getting runes will now be slightly easier when combining archaeology fragments.
  • The following actions now reduce the chance to receive runes:
    • Using the incorrect tool on restoration steps
    • Failing an identify action
    • Failing a combine action
  • Instantly identified fragments will now give a better chance of runes.
  • Wood fragments will now say wood instead of birchwood.
  • When combining a basic metal item the chance of iron is now improved at higher levels.
  • When combining an alloy metal item the chance of steel is now improved at higher levels.
  • When getting runes or casts on combined archeology items it will now consider an item a tool before a weapon if it is considered both. This prevents tools that are also weapons from getting only weapon runes and casts.
  • Rebalanced casts on combined archaeology items to be considerably higher power on average and based on restoration skill.
  • The odds of getting a spell cast on a restored item have been roughly cut in half.
  • It is now possible to get 5 runes where a bug prevented this in the past.
  • A hatchet is now considered a tool and will get tool runes.
  • A bush will no longer detract from a tile's archaeology value.
  • The top tier of fragments has been made possible to achieve by easing the requirements a bit.
  • A bug preventing sand from becoming investigable more than once per server restart has been fixed.
  • Enchantment success runes now reduce difficulty instead of increasing bonus.
  • Mend runes are now any target
  • Tool tips will now show rune names and abbreviations
  • All bulk items will not get runes or casts so they can be stored easily
  • Planks have been added to the drop table
  • Arrow shafts have been removed from the drop table
  • Partially identified fragments will now better reflect what they are (wooden, metal, weapon, etc)
  • You can now smelt items with enchantments and runes by confirming the action via a popup.
  • Mini tokens will now indicate direction to their associated deed.
  • Tin ore no longer shows as a metal fragment on second stage of investigation

• Transferring servers with unidentified fragments should no longer make them revert to iron and steel.

• Crude shovels will no longer be wooden fragments

• Moon metal fragment drop rate in caches has been doubled

Test Server Instructions:

• Only available on our test server Druska for testing.
  • To ease testing you can now repeatedly investigate the same tile on the test server.
  • Dead deeds to investigate have been added all over Druska to find.

• A portal to Druska is available near the starting area in Oracle
  • To use the test client, use the Test Client launcher shortcut or the Choose Client shortcut and choose the test client. For Steam, right-click Wurm Online in your Steam Library and click Properties. Then add a -c to the Launch Options. This will give you a prompt to select the Test Client.
  • Logging in with a new username/password will register an account automatically and log you in.
  • Test Menu
    • A New option in the test menu will give you archaeology tools.
    • Selecting any item and using it on the ground will give a test option
    • The test option allows you to change your skills and spawn in items like armour and weapons. 
    • You can also use it to change your faith, deity and spawn items like vesseled gems/statuette. 
    • If you are hurt or need to regain your stamina you can open the test menu and submit it with no selections to heal.

• Like 16
  • Cat 2

Which location option on the Druska portal?

1 minute ago, Aelha said:

Which location option on the Druska portal?

Either, they are just starting villages you can select from.

• Like 1

Very cool, eager to see

any thoughts on being able to "harvest" runes? would be interesting for scav runes

• Like 4

Waht have triggerd this? I mean I am happy for more reason to do archeology but I did not expact it to be a area that the devs working on or did I hear any complains about to little reward from it. But I am inspacialy happy that its now importent waht tool you use since it normaly don`t feelt to rewarding to switch them.

Mend runes are now any target

Were there items that could be mended before with rune that spell could? Or does mend work now on any item?

Edited by Rocklobster

i just logged into the arch testing server and the first thing i notice is that the "archaeology tools" option only make a trowel and a metal brush, no chisel and no journal with paper.

i found and identified 200 or 300 fragments and so far i found 2 reported bugs still not fixed.

branches and shafts still get enchantments, looks like they dont get runes anymore which is good but enchanments have the same effect on branches and shafts(just force people to dispell them or if you dont have a priest around to just sac them because you cannot store them.) tenons and pegs do not ever get enchantments or runes, so either make them transfer from branches to shafts and from shafts to finished tools or just remove them.

and this one:

it looks like only nails and a couple of other tools are still on the "unidentified tool" category and everything else including shovels,pickaxes,saws,trowels are on the weapon fragments category.

10 hours ago, jaytoo said:

Mend runes are now any target

what does that mean on archaeology? that rune slots can be wasted by something that will disapear when you combine the fragments and reduce the ql of the finished item?

10 hours ago, jaytoo said:

Wood fragments will now say wood instead of birchwood.

this works and its a good fix but why only for archeaology? why not do this to every unfinished wooden item in wurm?

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rocklobster said:

Were there items that could be mended before with rune that spell could? Or does mend work now on any item?

I know that only a very few runes worked on pelt before, so might be something in those lines. Pelts dont have a "material" that adds up with runes.

4 hours ago, Rocklobster said:

The rift material mattered before which allowed the mend rune to be applied to materials that matched (crystal to metal, stone to leather, etc). Now any rift material can be used to make mend runes and you can use the rune on anything. This should include pelts.

4 hours ago, Tpikol said:

what does that mean on archaeology? that rune slots can be wasted by something that will disapear when you combine the fragments and reduce the ql of the finished item?

It's just tangentially related to archaeology/restoration you can't roll a mend rune (or any spell rune) when getting runes applied to your combined fragments.

• Like 1

i just logged into the arch testing server and the first thing i notice is that the "archaeology tools" option only make a trowel and a metal brush, no chisel and no journal with paper.

The chisel probably got equipped in your hand. It creates the brush chisel trowel and shovel. I'll look at adding a journal with paper, I didn't change caches at all so I didn't think about it.

this works and its a good fix but why only for archeaology? why not do this to every unfinished wooden item in wurm?

Small changes so we don't break the world. The framework now exists for this to be possible though.

Fixing the typing of fragments and not letting shafts and branches get runes are good suggestions. I fixed the functional part of the fragment miss typing and am giving appropriate runes now based on tool/weapon but not the frag type.

• Like 3

ok i checked and i was double wielding a shovel and chisel.

i was just thinking that is there are old deeds to be found on the test server that could make it easy to find better fragments, which are the ones that need testing.(when i said before that i found about 300 fragments more than half of those were ores,bricks, and lumps, which dont help with the testing.) thats why i wondered about journals and paper.

it feels like im getting a lot more fully identified fragments than i usually do in live servers with higher archaeology skill(like 20 out of 50). not sure if thats also an intented change.

Edited by Tpikol

24 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

There are old deeds to be found on the test server that could make it easy to find better fragments

A couple hundred dead deeds were added randomly placed around Druska before the testing was opened. Doing arch not on a dead deed will result in many more instantly identified fragments as the difficulty is lower and you do not have the chance for the higher tier of fragments (full tools, armor, real weapons, alloy).

• Like 2

have you considered marking items with these speial properties like .. tiers or have any kind of per item easy identification instead of player insanity to manage which item is found identified, which item had 1-2-3-4 fails to identify or fails to combine, if the player fails to combine 2 pieces.. do both get degraded to lower tier for "luck" with runes, etc...

how does this all affect restoration skill, does it matter at all or it's all rng based on found item and degrading reward based on failed actions, etc

i have done some more testing, this time on places with 1 dead deed on them. i tried to find a place with 2 or more deeds but just couldnt.

im doing all the testing with 90 skill and 90ql tools and so far i have gotten some item with high power enchants(95woa was one of the first i got) but only 1 rune per item max. (on live servers with almost 90 restoration and over 90 arch i  get items with 2 or 3 runes all the time using  chisel only to identify.) so if one of your goals is to make enchants better but getting runes much much harder then its working.

so far i only finished metal items(got a few alloys fragments but no moonmetal.) and most were iron(1 was gold).

Edited by Tpikol

@Tpikol

22 hours ago, jaytoo said:
  • The following actions now reduce the chance to receive runes:
    • Using the incorrect tool on restoration steps
    • Failing an identify action
    • Failing a combine action
  • Instantly identified fragments will now give a better chance of runes.

18 minutes ago, Finnn said:

@Tpikol

yes i got that, im using the right tools on test, but i still get much much worse results than on live servers using the wrong tool.

1 hour ago, Tpikol said:

yes i got that, im using the right tools on test, but i still get much much worse results than on live servers using the wrong tool

Using the wrong tool on live was actually beneficial and that has been rectified in this testing patch. However, the reason it was beneficial was because it let you do more actions to identify. The number of actions to identify no longer has an effect. Overall my goal was for it to be on average easier to get runes. I appreciate your effort and will try to replicate your findings. 

• Like 3

@Tpikol

I found an error which was reducing the average amount of runes on the finished items. I'll be fixing that in the next few hours and i'll try to address your other suggestions as time allows.

• Like 3

Very interesting, will try to give it a try if I find time.

I have made rant/suggestion thread a while ago, i do realize that's not possible to implement all but some stuff might be helpfull if you haven't read it already.

I would expecially suggest to consider adding plank fragments instead of useless arrowshafts.

Plank fragments would be a great addition, and or replacment of arrowshafts.

• Like 3

live now on Druska,

• Planks have replaced arrow shafts in the fragment drop table
  • The archeology tools test option will now give a journal and paper
  • A bug with identification power on first identify action has been resolved. hopefully this brings the average at 90 skill with 90ql tools to 2.5 runes.
  • Partially identified fragments (wooden fragment, metal fragment) have been reworked to better reflect what they are instead of being mostly weapons.
  • Any Bulk item will not get runes or casts so it can be easily stored.
  • Like 15

ok i done some more testing today with all fresh fragments and i still found some issues:

first the beer stein fragments still have no material and no model, so when dropped you see the old missing model question mark bag. its a bug a reported before here.

the name of some items is inconsistent about where the material goes, some have material before the name of the item while most have it after the name of the item. easy to see in  pottery items.

4ELN7KB.png

but out of the metal fragments category this happens with the small metal shield too:

NSxdxej.png

if you are working on runes making sense i found this on a carving knife blade:

VdggFLf.png

and this on a rake:

FhoAlKF.png

and i didn't get enough amphora fragments on test to check out if you already fixed this but you should check the runes amphoras can get, most of mine on live server get "10% more likely to become rare when imped" or "10% bigger ql increase when imping" but amphoras you get from arch cannot be imped. maybe they should get none if nothing makes sense.