Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

A new use for gems

Since the advent of treasure hunting, I think the number of gems on the market has risen significantly, and their prices have fallen correspondingly.

This has come after the accepted meta shifted away from priests using gems to grind Vessel.

So this might be a good time to get some ideas together for possible uses for gems.

I will start the ball rolling:

Witches' Brew

1. Crush a source crystal to get source salt.
  2. Mix a source salt with water to get potion base liquid.
  3. Crush a gem to get one of several types of gem salt.
  4. Mix some potion base with any gem salt to create the corresponding witch's brew - a one-use potion.

Some ideas for types

• timed boost to natural healing
  • instant healing
  • instant disease cure
  • timed damage resistance
  • instant Refresh
  • instant Stamina boost
  • instant Favor
  • timed boost to Favor regen

The potency of these potions should be capped by the gem QL, with star gems and rare gems each doubling the value.

Natural substances skill should increase the chance of producing a quality near to the maximum.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 5

I'd still love to be able to use them in jewelry and weapon smithing. Of course that would mean added graphics such as jewel pendants and bejeweled sword hilts etc. As for the added bonus a jewel would or would not give each item I leave that to the devs.

• Like 4

The same question was asked when I was playing Unlimited also, people wanted more things to do with gems. Some of the suggestions there was grinding to dust to create some sort of same colour dyes, sacrifice for karma. Not sure if wishing wells still works but throwing them in there gives a small chance of getting minutes on sleep bonus or along those lines.

2 hours ago, DannyUK said:

Some of the suggestions there was grinding to dust to create some sort of same colour dyes

You might be referring to the below suggestion of mine 🙂 :

1. They could be ground in to dust to create a dye of the gem's respective colour (so 1,1,1 for Opal, 1,1,254 for Sapphire and so on)
    - This might use milling skill instead of Natural Substances but the idea here would be that on success, the resulting dye (0.5kg?) would always have the same RGB depending on gem used.

- On failure, gem could be destroyed or quality lowered or damaged but on success, the RGB on success would always be the same.

2. 1/1000 chance to be struck by lightning when sacrificing gems (including the default ML gain from lightning strike).

3. Vesseled gems thrown at enemy could deal some not excessive but noticeable damage (holy grenades).

17 minutes ago, Locath said:

You might be referring to the below suggestion of mine 🙂 :

1. They could be ground in to dust to create a dye of the gem's respective colour (so 1,1,1 for Opal, 1,1,254 for Sapphire and so on)
    - This might use milling skill instead of Natural Substances but the idea here would be that on success, the resulting dye (0.5kg?) would always have the same RGB depending on gem used.

- On failure, gem could be destroyed or quality lowered or damaged but on success, the RGB on success would always be the same.

2. 1/1000 chance to be struck by lightning when sacrificing gems (including the default ML gain from lightning strike).

3. Vesseled gems thrown at enemy could deal some not excessive but noticeable damage (holy grenades).

Yes they are the ones I was referring to from unlimited 😉

• Like 1

Well I would counter offer a suggestion that gems maybe shuld be possible to hold buffs (Willowspine, Frantic Charge etc.) to keep it some what simpler insted of bring a whole new system into the game. The Buffing syste in Wurm is kind of meh because of the relativly short durations for huting and the problemsw with inconstent uptimes if you want to buff your troups for PvP. So to increes the useabilety we could use the Gems as a mobil buff system.

I would suggest somthing like this:

- Every Buff can instead of a Player also cast on a Gem for double the favor cost.

- If the Gem is used the corosponding Buff will be cast on the using player (with timer?)

- Gems take dmg equal to (Power/eQl)*10 (so it breaks after a few usses with hight power buffs)

I think this would give gems a similar aditional purpose from ther current use on top of making buffs more avaible for things like Uniqe fights or solo hunting.

• Like 1