Sign in to follow this  
garforl

feeding farm animals

Can the chicken coop get some love? Annoying that I cant add water to the existing water supply. I have to either let the chickens drink all the water or unload all the animals to refill. Also they eat a way too much food and when out are ejected from the coop.

Heard pigs eat too much as well but I haven't really messed with them yet.

The water sounds bugged. I have no problem topping mine off without unloading the chickens and only a little water used up. They do definitely need more food than free range chickens which doesn't make sense but I believe that was by design.

• Like 1

You might want to try just raising your chickens in a grass pen rather than the chicken coop.

Absolutely no need for water, just have some food (veggies, etc) in a pet bowl or small bucket in the pen that they can eat from, and you'll always get 99 QL eggs!

Make sure you don't have pigs or dogs in the pen with them, though, and enough space so the number of chickens you have don't crowd.

• Like 3

Yes, I love the look of the chicken coop but I don't use it for my chickens - it's just a decoration at this point.

• Like 1

I've never gotten around to raising chickens for eggs yet but I was going to build the coop also but now I know you can just put them into a pen with a bowl of food I will do that. If you can't top the water up in the coops though that is strange unless bugged like someone said already.

Make sure you give them enough space.  What I do is keep 2 chickens (hens, really, roosters aren't needed for eggs, fertile or not, at all), in a pen of two grass tiles. One small bucket or pet bowl full of veggies (I fill mine up with pumpkins) and that's it.

They do eat alot, so 2 hens eating from a bowl or bucket will last maybe two or three days at most till they'll need more food.

When I gather the eggs, I seperate out the fertile ones and put those in a different pen to hatch.  The Infertile eggs go in my FSB reserved for high quality food materials. All are a nice 99 QL.

• Like 3

They will eat from a dropped pile of veggies as well - I use pumpkins, corn, or tomatoes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tristanc said:

Make sure you give them enough space.  What I do is keep 2 chickens (hens, really, roosters aren't needed for eggs, fertile or not, at all), in a pen of two grass tiles. One small bucket or pet bowl full of veggies (I fill mine up with pumpkins) and that's it.

They do eat alot, so 2 hens eating from a bowl or bucket will last maybe two or three days at most till they'll need more food.

When I gather the eggs, I seperate out the fertile ones and put those in a different pen to hatch.  The Infertile eggs go in my FSB reserved for high quality food materials. All are a nice 99 QL.

This is the best method I've found for keeping chickens too, though I sow pumpkins in the pens to feed them with. The coops I keep only because they were a gift from a friend who I still share a deed with. Plus I can keep them underground and off deed to keep my tile/animal ratio balanced. Otherwise the coop was a total flop for me. Extra food plus water and lower ql eggs as a result is just not good math. I'm hoping they do get some love and revision at some point but I don't see it happening any time soon.

• Like 1