Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Make runes from gems

Currently runes are crafted from a combination of one rift material and one metal. Each metal produces a different effect.

I'm proposing that we should also be able to craft runes by combining a rift material with a gem. This gives us the possibility of an additional five effects (diamond, emerald, opal, ruby, sapphire) for each of the "deities" (Fo, Libila, Magranon, Vynora, Jackal, Scavenger).

Some ideas for new effects:-

• "very decent" glow
  • 5% increased natural healing
  • 2.5% increased damage done
  • (single use) on animal, remove a negative trait
  • (single use) heal

I think that Star gems should produce the same effect, at twice the power. 

• Like 5

I would add that it would be interesting for a jeweler to make a frame, and something would also influence the material of the frame.

We actually have a similar mechanism with rift runes.

And still it is possible to develop idea. The processed rune in the frame must be inserted into a clay flask and a feather added. And this tool will allow you to write scrolls.

Edited by TheZvir

A few things I'd like to pick apart:

When you fail to make a rune you lose a bit of the metal and rift material, how would that work for gems? You can't combine or bulk store them, so you'd inevitably have a load of weirdly weighted gems around. Seems like it'd be frustrating.

Those effects also seem too powerful, to the credit of the current rune uses, none of them make a priest spell redundant really. The spells currently on rune lists aren't ones that are typically paid for or massively seeked out, so it's pretty fair in that regard. Things like negative trait removal are too powerful to put into a rune, as Genesis is an important spell for a Fo priest, on deed or travelling to pay for premium.

In general, we've already got a lot of free space for new runes via electrum, as only reducing animal age uses electrum currently. We still have 4 slots, 5 including scavenger runes, that can be filled with new effects. I think realistically they should be filled first before we start looking at additional types of runes.