Sign in to follow this  
Tpikol

ship page

these are a few things on  the ship page that could be reworded, are outdated or just obvious now pointless information .

Spoiler
  • Without an attached boat lock that is appropriately set with permissions, anyone can use a ship. If the ship is not moored it can also be pushed away. It is therefore highly recommended that players lock AND moor their ships for ultimate security.

this sounds like it was written when ships came unlocked and players that to attach a lock to finish ships to stop players from stealing them maybe it could be reworded or combine with this other note.

Spoiler
  • When a ship is created, a default 1 ql lock is automatically attached to the ship, the ship is locked, and permissions are enabled. The owner of the ship can change the boat lock which may be necessary for security on PvP servers. The lock can only be removed and reattached by the owner on PvE servers.

Spoiler
  • To prevent theft of an unfinished ship, it is advisable to limit accessibility to the unfinished vessel by way of surrounding fences or walls and limited access set therein.

this seems like a leftover from the days when deed permissions didn't stop people from just finishing any ship they could touch, maybe it can be removed now.

Spoiler
  • To secure a ship from being pushed away, it can be moored with a mooring anchor. A ship can be moored by the commander and any passenger, but only the commander can later raise the anchor.

this is just kinda repeating something already said on the first line.

creation section:

Spoiler

if rafts are not counted as ships when all ships are started by combining two keel sections, always.and obviously ships are made using ship building.

may this could just be changed to say "Ships are started by combining two keel sections." or maybe just removed?

Spoiler
  • Trying to build a ship in a (large) cart will present the message "[01:06:39] You can't work with the unfinished ship type in the large cart.". It is therefore not possible.

this is true but pointless information nowdays, its been what now 8 years since they stopped allowing ships to be built inside carts? more? im pretty sure nobody wonders if this is possible anymore.

General Sailing, Operation section:

Spoiler

again if we are not counting rafts as ship then all ships require some mind logic, unless you want to count rowboats being so low any player can use it as not having a requirement? maybe this note is just pointless? since the chart below it explains it.

Spoiler
  • The achievable speed of a ship at any one time is determined by 5 factors: the quality of the ship, the type of ship it is, the number of crew (players) aboard the ship, weather/wind factors, and any runes mounted on the ship. The exact weight given and formula attributed to each of these speed-deciding factors need further confirmation by staff.

i believe its confirmed now that rarity is also a factor on speed.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 2

I agree this page could do with a rework. A lot of hard work has clearly been done over the years to collate a lot of useful information there, but the ordering of the content and the accuracy could really do with some attention. E.g. on the accuracy front: I don't know how accurate the speeds in the table are anymore, as quality affecting ship speed was a more recent addition (and they should really be broken down by wind level, too; so it's obvious that knarrs are much better than caravels in low wind, for instance.)

I'm not sure if this is a style guide thing somewhere too, but I also personally find prose (with lots of clear subtitles to break things up into sections) much easier to read and follow than having only long lists of bullet points where it isn't always clear which bullet point refers to what. For instance, the bridges page reads more like a Wikipedia article than the list of (not always well-ordered) bullet points that the ship page has.

Instead, the structure could look like...

1. A basic introduction to ships in Wurm and what they can do (fast travel, item transport, server travel), aimed at new players

2. How to make a ship

3. Security and operation (locks, permissions, mooring, server crossing, how to sail)

4. Detailed ship types table (this could even be split into two tables; one with speed information and another with volume information)

5. Additional notes for anything else that's missing (e.g. ship transporters, how to dye them)

This is a page that's highlighted on the front page of the Wurmpedia, so it should be produced to a high standard.

edit: also to add, I'm more than happy to help on this, I like in-game ships very much and would love to see the page get a rework!

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Docterchese said:

I don't know how accurate the speeds in the table are anymore, as quality affecting ship speed was a more recent addition (and they should really be broken down by wind level, too; so it's obvious that knarrs are much better than caravels in low wind, for instance.)

and this is why i started looking at this page and the individual ship pages to try to find a way to update them all and have some of kind of standar applied to the info on all of them, right now each page has diferent info in diferent places.

but the reason i started looking at this is that im working on a little research project ingame to at least test the new max speeds of every ship at diferent qls with no rarity no runes, no passenger and a gale on its back, hoping someone who actually knows any math maybe figure out a formula for speed from my experiments, but even if that is not posible to have a decent baseline of new speeds at diferent qls.

• Like 1

Just now, Tpikol said:

and this is why i started looking at this page and the individual ship pages to try to find a way to update them all and have some of kind of standar applied to the info on all of them, right now each page has diferent info in diferent places.

but the reason i started looking at this is that im working on a little research project ingame to at least test the new max speeds of every ship at diferent qls with no rarity no runes, no passenger and a gale on its back, hoping someone who actually knows any math maybe figure out a formula for speed from my experiments, but even if that is not posible to have a decent baseline of new speeds at diferent qls.

This sounds great, I think there would be a huge benefit to having one person do a big set of new measurements for all boats!

If you can get good data then I can have a go at figuring out a formula. Would also be really cool if you could try them in different wind speeds, too, as well as at different amounts of sail power (backwards, drifting, rowing, half sail, full sail) and different directions (directly into and away from the wind, also maybe perpendicular to it.) But of course any new data at all would be great :D

im still mostly preparing ships so i can still add more to what i test for but yeah when i said with a gale on its back that isnt really true because the fastest speed in my experience isnt directly opposite a gale but a little further to the side but i can at least try to record max speed and min speed(meaning the lowest you get when you go against the wind, which for example is terrible in a cog and not so terrible on a knarr.) at diferent sail power.

but no hurry on that, that will take some time.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

Oof, old old page indeed. I added this to our to do list to be totally rewritten. Feel free to drop that research info in here, Tpikol, or just add to the chart, but we'll be reorganizing all that at some point. Thanks!