Sign in to follow this  
LesW

PVE use for lockpick skill

Hey I had an idea hit me about a use for lockpicking on the PVE servers. i see alot of dead deeds with wagons and carts that are still locked but the owners name has started to fade. The deed is clearly abandoned cause the only thing left is the stone castle walls and the forges. It'd be neat to use the lockpicking skill on once such abandoned cart or wagon. Since the owner has either quit playing or has moved on to another location and left the cart long enough to imply they did not care about said cart. The lockpicking skill could be used in this instance to "Salvage" stuff off deed and possibly bring it back for use on your own deed. Pros of this skill would be rare wood carts and wagons they where once loved and taken good care of. Cons would be the need to locate a cart that was abandoned long enough and pick the lock. Possibly with the need to bring animals with you to drive the cart back to your own deed. Would be a fun side hobby for people and encourage people to go wondering away from the roads to see what is out there.

• Like 4

As an archaelogist, I strongly agree with your idea. A lot of stuff goes to waste on those abandoned deeds, including the hitched animals.

• Like 1

Lockpicking is a PvP only skill. As discussed ad nauseum in many similar posts, introducing it to PvE will NOT decrease the clutter of wagons, carts, ships, chests or even bsb's in abandoned deeds. All it will do is make it easier to loot those containers of the items that a player made a very deliberate effort to secure. I personally know quite a few players who put their most valuable things in a ship or wagon when they knew they were going to take an extended break, and were able to come back after quite some time away to their items still there, safely secure in their containers. 

Since you clearly missed the previous discussions surrounding this, here's the most likely scenario if lockpicking were introduced on PvE:  A person is traveling along, looking for loot or just out doing treasure maps. They come across some locked chests, a cart or wagon, maybe a ship. They proceed to pick the locks, grab the loot they want, and then leave. They won't take the cart, wagon, ship, or chest with them, unless it's a rare or better, because they already have enough of those things. Anyone who has leveled up their lockpicking will have played long enough to have several carts, wagons, even ships, and certainly more than enough chests and bsb's, so why would they take another one, especially since they're already piloting something to do their exploring with? You honestly think someone will come make the trip back to that place just to pick up another plain-jane wagon? As to the hitched animals, maybe they'll take those, but maybe not. If the animals don't have the right traits, or aren't cared for and are venerable, why would someone take them?

So, a big fat NO to this suggestion. Again.

• Like 4

Trust me, I know we’re you’re coming from. I’ve traveled almost 70 percent of Xanadu on horse back. I’ve seen a lot of good things deteriorate. But I finally came to the realization that if things don’t have a chance to disappear from existence then they’d never be valuable, they’d never be missed.. and worst they’ve never be remembered. Through my travels I’ve been lucky enough to find a lot but if I was able to clean out an abandoned deed completely that presences that once existed there would no longer be. 

• Like 1

Well let me apologize firstly, for saying something that you guys are so willing to shoot down. The thing is there are al ot of new players out there who are still trying to get a leg up, I'd put forth the effort to not only unlock the cart on the abandoned deed near me but likely turn it in to some kind of profit it has a rune affixed to it and  I imagine the horse affixed to it had good traits as well. Not everyone is a thief, and if the cart as sat long enough "Off Deed" <-Key word here. To decay to a certain stage why not allow a player to Claim ownership of the cart? Going of for a long period put a high quality lock on it. Secure it to prevent the average player from being able to pick it. Was Just an idea for a PVE use for pretty much worthless skill affinity. I mean after all you get a free one, and if it's in a strictly PVP skill why not think about ways for it to be utilized in PVE. Instead of blowing up and idea add your feedback towards improvement  that's how great things are added to the game. So your "Big fat no's" I trim that fat and use it to make my soap.

Edited by LesW

I agree, I think lockpicking in this way could be used. I have also played Wurm Unlimited and they have a clear up option where if a deed disbands and the cart/wagon is left you can hit "clear up" and it makes the cart/wagon vanish but drops all the items inside. It would be nice if you could use lockpicking for this and even keep the cart/wagon.

As long as it doesn't become a thing where you can lockpick everything even on deed then I am all for this idea. That should stay in PvP.

• Like 1

All they would have to really do is implement some background code every time the server clock ticks over to a new day. if "Vehicle" as been abandoned for "X days (months) (Years)" Apply abandoned tag. And you'd see in the inspection of the cart that it has sat long enough and is now considered abandoned.  Going off line for a long period pack up a wagon or two and park it on a friends deed, after all it is on deed, and the in game culture is kind enough I'm sure you can find someone that wouldn't mind and extra cart or a wagon sitting in their wagon house. Then when you return to the game after your extended break, thank your kind neighbor and set-out on your own again.

On 7/17/2022 at 10:05 AM, LesW said:

I'd put forth the effort to not only unlock the cart on the abandoned deed near me but likely turn it in to some kind of profit it has a rune affixed to it and  I imagine the horse affixed to it had good traits as well. Not everyone is a thief,

Sounds like a thief to me... You want to unlock a cart/wagon/ship and turn it into a profit.

• Like 1

Not really. Taking something that is abandoned to decay isn't theft in my book. It's salvaging

If you are picking some else's lock you are a thief. Doesn't matter if the locked item in question is actually abandoned or not. Many times it isn't FYI. If the owner wanted it looted they wouldn't have locked it. And no one can convince me, after what I've seen, that lock picking on PVE will not be abused. I'm 100% certain that it will be. So you want what you see but can't have it... too bad! This is not a single player game and not everything you see is put there for your use.

• Like 3

Part of the thrill of Wurm is having to leave for a bit and then coming back and someone you don't know messages you that your boat/cart/whatever is just outside their deed. Then trying to find where your old deed was and seeing what's left on your old cart. I hope we never enable lockpicking on PVE servers. 

I know it seems hard as a newbie, but give it a little time and you'll have your own cart, wagon, and a collection of random boats on your lawn. 

• Like 3

Well Said. On those notes, it would prolly require more background code then what I've been told "The spaghetti" code can take. Would be nice in some places, but as in all MMO's everything can be abused, regardless of the system. This Idea would most likely be more abused then others.

Edited by LesW
Typo

-1 I agree with what Dalethegood has already said.

As an alternative to the root thought, lockpicking skill, maybe add locks to treasure chests as an additional level of difficulty?

Then you can raise the skill and your not impacting anyone's past, present or revisited future belongings, and it adds a degree of realism.

Then again that may require code preventing them from being useable on anything else.

• Like 2

While i mostly agree with what Dale has said, i have do have a question.

What about the things left over from players who have been banned?

I'll make the same response to this suggestion that I've made before.

Define "abandoned"

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gumbert said:

What about the things left over from players who have been banned?

Good question, don't have a ready answer. But, just off the top of my head, I'd rather that their things, however ill-gotten they may be, be lost to dust if they're in locked containers. That's a better solution in my mind than having people who take a few months off, like so many do, coming back to their wagon/ship/locked chest(s) sitting there as an empty hulk.

• Like 1

since when things deteriorate they drop all the contents on the tile they are on and if that amount of things exceeds 100 they are lost.  im not 100% on what happens but i heard stuff is lost.  anyhoo instead of the container being lost, why not deteriorate the lock first so the container is unlocked THEN the container?  the lockpicking skill and market for high ql lock becomes a thing, right?