Sign in to follow this  
Henery

The Game won't Launch

I've seen reviews, and know the basics (Wurm is a very slow, rather difficult, sandbox MMORPG)––but I want to know what I should expect. I'm trying to get the launcher to work, so I'm just looking for some prep during that time.

Speaking of getting the launcher to work, I keep getting this error:

-------------------------------------
Translated Report (Full Report Below)
-------------------------------------

Process:               Wurm Online [86747]
Path:                  /Applications/Wurm Online.app/Contents/MacOS/Wurm Online
Identifier:            CCAB.WurmLauncherApp
Version:               1.0 (1)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
User ID:               502

Date/Time:             2022-07-12 21:46:24.8342 -0500
OS Version:            macOS 12.1 (21C52)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        C70BF92F-B702-1F15-FBEF-9134515D21E3

Sleep/Wake UUID:       DFDC49DB-E3A0-458B-94D2-18AD25BB78B3

Time Awake Since Boot: 580000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       1378 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        31  Java: Thread-5

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Edited by Henery
Forgot to add a major part XD

So, I'm a new player & I really want to play Wurm online. However, the game isn't functioning and I cannot play. Firstly, I downloaded the client off the official website, but couldn't get it to work. I'd launch it, it'd start loading, and then say "Wurm Online Quit Unexpectedly." Same thing happened when I downloaded and used the steam version, which is what I want to use. I have no idea what to do and other posts have the same issue but no clear answer. What should I do?

Welcome to Wurm. I hope you get the launcher to work soon. I’m not sure what could be wrong but you might want to make sure you have an updated version of java installed.

A good place to start to understand the game is here: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Your_first_days_in_Wurm_Online

The wiki can feel overwhelming at first, but is the best resource for learning about the game (aside from asking questions in the CA help channel in the game).

Good luck!

3 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

I’m not sure what could be wrong but you might want to make sure you have an updated version of java installed.

Wurm is packaged with its own Java runtime now so that won't be an issue, as far as I know, as the runtime will always be the correct version for the current client.

They also posted about their start issues here:

Welcome to Wurm Online, like no other MMOs out there. Sadly not everyone can handle this hard grinding and slow process, but if you like to take your time and plenty of time to hang out in there, then this game might be your new home. But only if you enjoying it, be warned, i dont know if you are loner or want to be around others. So there are two different type of players in there, some will upset you and some will like you. It took me two or three months to learn the basic, cause there are so many things you can do in there. Dont be affraid to ask, if you arent sure what going on or think there a problem. Always check the CA Community Help, most of the time they may can help with your issues.

Its going to take awhile to get the hang of this, once you know all the basics and understand the game itself, you will enjoy it even more and be happy with it.

Btw, if you still having issues with the launcher, (which one the old launcher from the official web site or Steam)? Try uninstall that game, look for java uninstall that, then find the directory and registry as well. This may clean up the mess, but alway do something easy before doing something more complex or more work. Try verified the files first though, it might help.

I guess you've already seen this thread, but your problem sounds similar to this one:

However, in their issue it sounds like they can't get the launcher to load, let alone the game. I'm not sure from your post if you get the launcher window with a login screen, latest news etc - or if you're able to log in and press "Play" but then the game crashes after that.

Could you try and post:

• Your system specs, including CPU and MacOS version
  • Any logs you can find (e.g. under /Users/USERNAME/wurm/console.USERNAME.log) (although this would only be if the game stars)
  • Kazull from the above thread tried running the client from the terminal - no idea how to do that (I'm not a mac user) but if you could work out how to, then the terminal output could be very helpful.

If you have access to a Windows machine then it might be worth trying to play on that for now, as right now it seems a few mac users are having issues that aren't straightforward to reproduce and solve.

Good luck!

Try the modern/latest download with game client, if there's an issue with it, open client bug request and update it regularly(unsure why these normally get ignored or only answered by players).

https://www.wurmonline.com/wurm-online-downloads/

Rest is covered by that link https://wurm.gg/new 

4 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

A good place to start to understand the game is here: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Your_first_days_in_Wurm_Online

Good luck!

You'll probably find it more fun to try things on your own than following a guide..

Try things, if you hit a wall and want shortcut solution or at least explanation why something works or doesn't as expected - ask in #CA-Help, it's part of the game for new players, when you're bored - join GL-Freedom(it's the chat channel uniting most servers in 1 place).

That's about it.. do all the things you shouldn't to learn from the mistakes.. feed wild bears, spiders, crocs, hounds, trolls and so on.. once you get tired of dying and losing skill - put them on the menu.

Moved to technical issues and merged duplicate threads.

Sounds like the same problem I am having.

Bet there are dozens of potential mac wurm players who download -> fail to launch -> give up an go play something else.