Sign in to follow this  
wipeout

Jackal 2 when?

So it has been a while since my or anyone's post on this, thus it is high time to bring this up again.

Jackal 2 when?

We really don't need a big giant end game event just give us a more polished experience like it was close to the end(but with some more work done on it) a new harsh map like it and it would be fun for another few months and you guys would get a bunch of premium out of it and we would get to have fun again.

So pretty please?? 

• Like 12
  • Cat 1

I would love to just run naked and afraid through Jackal's bleak lands one more time.  If we could bring some of those beautiful tulip trees back, or maybe the wood?  That would be heaven.  Some of the wood types were very pretty.

• Like 1

Aye I enjoyed jackal overall. Seemed like a decent mix of temporary map pve gameplay and longterm rewards.

Only real complaint was the final stronghold battle seemed unfinished; however, I had heard the devs were surprised how fast players had progressed.

Hopefully most of the last work was retained.

Edited by Karrde

As someone who never got to experience it, I'd love to give it a go.

• Like 3

Just now, Rudie said:

As someone who never got to experience it, I'd love to give it a go.

As quirky and untested as its original launch was it was still a great time you would love it genuinely 

• Like 1

Nah Screw Jackal 2, just skip it and release Jackal 3

I would like another jackal with a skill transfer and regular skill rate

• Like 2

I was on a break when Jackal 1 happened. It sounds like fun so I'd certainly be up for Jackal 2.

I second a Jackal 2. The devs have been working hard on a lot of content so I think maybe they need a break and we can run jackal again? I know its a lot of work too for the devs there but it's a change from the endless coding. 

I also was on a break when the first Jackal happened and I am very sad I missed out on it. 

I third a jackal 3, I'd even come back to play wurm online for that :) I really enjoyed it .

Yes Jackal was fun. But starting Jackal without connecting SFI and NFI seems close to impossible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Yes Jackal was fun. But starting Jackal without connecting SFI and NFI seems close to impossible.

Jackal sort of acted as its own cluster, as far as I understand. You were not able to bring items or skills to it, so it basically gave you a fresh toon with the same name as on your home cluster, while your actual home toon waited while being effectively logged off. If people from both North and South would be able to access Jackal 2, they'd again get fresh toons and would not be able to trade items between North and South. It would require a way for silver to not cross over though. But I think this could be worked out.

2 hours ago, Lisimba said:

Jackal sort of acted as its own cluster, .. It would require a way for silver to not cross over though. But I think this could be worked out.

You would have a shared silver and account space, that is the point. SFI and NFI characters could transfer all their silver to the other cluster. And I fail to see how that could be fixed without creating a mess, and open up the potential of new bugs and exploits.

It would be better to first fix the code differences between NFI and SFI, and perform the merge before starting Jackal, or opening Epic to NFI which would raise the same problem. As I do not know what kind those differences are, it cannot be ruled out that they would affect accounts on a cluster like Epic or Jackal.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 6:00 AM, Archaed said:

Nah Screw Jackal 2, just skip it and release Jackal 3

Jackal 3, The Search for Jackal 2

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 1:37 AM, Ekcin said:

You would have a shared silver and account space, that is the point. SFI and NFI characters could transfer all their silver to the other cluster. And I fail to see how that could be fixed without creating a mess, and open up the potential of new bugs and exploits.

It would be better to first fix the code differences between NFI and SFI, and perform the merge before starting Jackal, or opening Epic to NFI which would raise the same problem. As I do not know what kind those differences are, it cannot be ruled out that they would affect accounts on a cluster like Epic or Jackal.

Aka never?

It would be real easy to limit bank balance of silver to that server only(Check any number of wu servers who pull that off between their cluster setups and different islands) the reasons stated for the difference between NFI and SFI connection isn't that its something impossible its the fact that NFI most likely has more data in its character table then SFI or something of that nature something that would not really matter on a cluster swap(Again wu servers who can run with bonus skills on 1 cluster and vanilla on another perfectly fine) the issue stems from NFI has a lot of changes to its maps and characters that make the 2 databases different enough that a simple connect would cause issues but jumping to a different cluster all together should not in theory cause such issues given that all that would come over is your character name and all you would bring back is your current skill level on jackal put through an equation to give you the bonus skill gain back if that even becomes a feature of j2

The thing is connecting up the 2 existing clusters is not an issue that should matter to jackal at all if you don't want silver transfer to be a thing(which honestly who cares if we transfer silver between clusters anyway?) then just disable that data from being brought over and problem solved not that difficult.

Ima just bump this instead of making a new topic about it again but

Jackal 2 when? It was promised :(

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Archaed said:

It was not promised lol. 

That is not the full truth. In fact, Jackal was promised as a recurring event. Even when the Jackalists were storming the Fortress, and complained about the rudimentary design, they were comforted that this was matter of improvement in the future. Ok, then Budda was fired, and it was known that Jackal was his child. But even then, it was communicated only that Jackal was "mothballed" for the time being, not that it were buried forever.

Still I think that the end of cluster separation is a prerequisite for a Jackal revival. A shared ingame currency space with closed borders would open venues for disequilibria and abuse.

Also, skill transfer, which was broken all time despite efforts, would need to be repaired and balanced,.

• Like 3

On 8/25/2019 at 12:28 PM, DevBlog said:

The Jackal server will be a server that resets every 6 months, with faster skillgain and action speed to account for this, meaning a fresh start for players wanting to experience it without the feeling of everyone being ahead.

On 10/8/2020 at 3:28 PM, Samool said:

There have been quite a few questions and suggestions regarding the future of Jackal. While the first iteration of that has been quite fun, it does require a ton of work and changes to make it worthwhile to run another edition of it, and that is not something we’re interested in - we feel that work is currently much better directed at improving the base game, and not the extending “episodic” content. Generally, you should not expect another Jackal run for quite some time, as we prefer to focus on the other things we have planned. But, never say never!

Again there are more out there said in discord and on livestreams with vods long gone but made in between these 2 quotes and also after that showed that there is a chance of jackal and clearly there was and still is demand for it and even if 2 years ago the opinion was that the time is not right to bring it back there and then it was said that its not a no never coming back then combined with earlier instances id dam well say that jackal 2 was promised

But hey I am mostly interested in a "oh ya we still want to bring this back in maybe 3-5 years time" or anything like that as the idea of jackal is great yes its a lot of work but jackal doesnt require new content every time it just needs a solid basis with the quirks ironed out and proper ending content and then honestly its as good as it would be for j2 and 3 even so thats a year of it running add in a few months of down time in between the 2 and thats a year and a half easy of j2 and j3 being a thing before new content might be wanted.

Thats the beauty of jackal and something that developers who made events become a more common thing people will genuinely enjoy it and play that more
Riot stated with league of legends urf mode that urf was killing the playerbase for 2-3 weeks after the event was over and saw massive drops resulting in them being skeptical to bring it back but they brought it back and made it be around for longer and then added it to a reoccurring game mode and suddenly the issues of the first urf's player retention was solved as people didnt feel like they would miss out on something unique but instead started to see it as a great way to pass the time in between ranked games.
Path of exile build their entire money making model around seasonal content and their popularity lives and dies with how great of an expansion they make.
Diablo 3 sees a rise in players when a new season adds new content yet the seasons that dont add too much content still see stable players showing that you do not need massive amounts of work and new content every time to keep players playing your game.
No mans sky has a similar setup with d3 where players play specific content for way longer then other pieces even if that content doesnt get new stuff to enjoy(They talked about this in one of their dev blogs that it surprised them to see a big portion of the online players partaking in a particular activity they had not given much love to in multiple big content patches)

Players just want a fun engaging game mode it doesn't need to be new with massive amounts of addons every time it just needs to be refreshing and different enough from the base game to be worth their time and investment, AND Jackal if the end game is changed into something more with some minor bug fixes here and there would be perfect for atleast 2-3 years of it existing so 3-4 runs total before players would genuinely want something more next to a new map or a bigger map.

Anyways

Jackal when?

Edited by wipeout
  • Like 3

On 12/3/2022 at 6:38 AM, necroe said:

JACKAL NOW?

I wish :( 

On 12/6/2022 at 10:56 PM, wipeout said:

I wish :( 

same

Just now, necroe said:

same

Id say we deserve it by now we have been good enough right?

Was on leave during last jackal. Please bring it back + we have tons of more players from the NFI creation that never got the chance. 

• Like 1