Sign in to follow this  
Deathangel

Restlessness and the departure from reality

Caffeine was made to help the casual player,

But what if wurm needs to be more casual?

Improved Improve would probably be a better addition to the game than what I'm suggesting here, 

Do you think restlessness should be removed, to allow uncapped use of caffeine and thus making the coffee industry profitable, sleep powders more valuable, and the game easier to grind? Or, do you think casual servers should be improved, like making Epic Skillgains be based off actual skill, not effective skill.

I would say that improved improve would be a MUCH better addition to the game for new players and casual players. Not having to activate tools would make the game much less clunky and confusing for new players. Which should go a step in the right direction towards player retention.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Deathangel said:

Improved Improve would probably be a better addition to the game than what I'm suggesting here, 

And for those who want to have a look at the improvemod that once floated around but has now since disappeared(I tried searching for it) this wu mod works really well for it(better then the original improved improve mod does) incase they ever do want to consider taking the idea of making crafting better for new players and old alike(less 1-5 spam clicking = better on our hands do it for health reasons ❤️ )
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10wLMWMRnRB296gnn3AKgAh-ueSvCOw7G/view?usp=sharing

Here is the original improvedimprove

When it comes to restlessness either remove or make it so that its based on account age with newer accounts being able to use more before they hit their cap of restlessness all the way down to 5 hours max after say a year old account

Either way making the game less clunky and less sadistic for new players and old alike will be a welcome addition honestly having the item on a toolbelt or a favorite system(if item in inventory is all that is needed and you can right click set item to favorite) would be a great addition to make the game better plus less RSI prone for long hours of play

• Like 1

Improved improve would be an awesome feature for new players. I've tried to get friends to play in the past and trying to explain how to fumble through everything was a huge challenge. QOL is the best way to grow the game and I think the Devs are seeing that so hopefully this is considered. Also please I was to burn my sleep bonus quick I'll buy more I promise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deathangel said:

Caffeine was made to help the casual player.

no it wasnt made to help the casual player, the casual player cant make or buy enough coffe to use all the sleep bonus they get all the time. because they dont have the time for it. coffe was added to help the most grindiest of players have another advantage over others.

if coffe was made to help casual players 1 sip of coffe would give you max power caffine until you hit the restlessness cap.

16 hours ago, Tpikol said:

no it wasn't made to help the casual player, the casual player cant make or buy enough coffee to use all the sleep bonus they get all the time. because they don't have the time for it. coffee was added to help the most grindiest of players have another advantage over others.

if coffee was made to help casual players 1 sip of coffee would give you max power caffeine until you hit the restlessness cap.

1.5s for a barrel of ql 95 kahvesi(45kg) can last for a very long time 5 sips to get to 100 power 1 sip every 55 min to keep the power maxed out totaling 10 sips per 10 hours of max sleep bonus given at certain times
Now lets look at buying that 1 extra hour its only 3 sips after the original 5 so you take 8 sips per 3 hours of game time or 6 hours of sleep bonus

Going off that 1 grind of 3 hours takes 1.6 liters of ql 95 kahvesi or 28 grinding sessions

How is that not made for the casual player? They can buy enough at a cheap price and a barrel can and will last them multiple months if we define a casual player doing a grind on the weekend and spends enough time in a bed to get their max sleep bonus stored throughout the week(minimal play)

• Like 1

Epic skillgain is based on actual skill 

Tick size is not tick frequency. 

23 hours ago, wipeout said:

And for those who want to have a look at the improvemod that once floated around but has now since disappeared(I tried searching for it) this wu mod works really well for it(better then the original improved improve mod does) incase they ever do want to consider taking the idea of making crafting better for new players and old alike(less 1-5 spam clicking = better on our hands do it for health reasons ❤️ )
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10wLMWMRnRB296gnn3AKgAh-ueSvCOw7G/view?usp=sharing

Here is the original improvedimprove

When it comes to restlessness either remove or make it so that its based on account age with newer accounts being able to use more before they hit their cap of restlessness all the way down to 5 hours max after say a year old account

Either way making the game less clunky and less sadistic for new players and old alike will be a welcome addition honestly having the item on a toolbelt or a favorite system(if item in inventory is all that is needed and you can right click set item to favorite) would be a great addition to make the game better plus less RSI prone for long hours of play

that makes no sense, new/old, all are the same.. and anybody can go and abuse this with alts

in a system where accounts were somehow unique and limited that is good idea, but in this multiclienting scenario just an incentive to go nuke a new char and break market with a new char..

good way to force old players out and pull new macroers, roll a few bans, miss some.. leave some.. just make a great poor experience for fairness and reason to play the game

that is no balance

figure what is good and bad rate to grind skill, if you need to improve something and if you need to balance it at some point

currently you kind of have that, old players even though they never benefitted from this system have same access to same gain rate, even if.. it's pay-to-win model, the more sleep powder you get to use.. the faster you get to grind, limited by "restlessness" by coffee.. "big" deal, it's a perk to outperform others for a short amount of time

if you want more.. just suggest 2nd tier subscription.. better skillgains or w/e

pay 2-3x more and grind a bit faster nonstop, this is all you want anyway

22 minutes ago, Finnn said:

that makes no sense, new/old, all are the same.. and anybody can go and abuse this with alts

in a system where accounts were somehow unique and limited that is good idea, but in this multiclienting scenario just an incentive to go nuke a new char and break market with a new char..

good way to force old players out and pull new macroers, roll a few bans, miss some.. leave some.. just make a great poor experience for fairness and reason to play the game

that is no balance

Finn you know how the players are in wurm, you know how slow wurm is, you know how important characteristics are NO ONE in their right mind will make an alt just so that they can grind their mining/blacksmithing/weapon smiting a tiny bit longer on a brand new toon when they have a perfectly fine existing account.
Grinding crafting skills is a pain as it is why would anyone make a new account just because they can waste sleep bonus for longer and on top of that pay wurm more(no wait go do this wurm needs more subs) money AND spend more time panfilling to make that account usable for imping purposes once their horrible grind is over.
Grinding weapon smiting on a 3 action toon vs 6 actions is like walking through a city with your eyes closed vs walking through a field with your eyes open.

The idea that you believe that someone will go make an alt buy sleep powder use a bot just because the mechanic states "those under 100 days of account creation date get a higher restlessness cap that slowly dwindles down till its 5 hours at 100 days" is absurd and you should know that.

The idea that i propose instead of just doing away with restlessness and making caffeine just another sleep bonus multiplier is to make the bonus bigger for new players who might want to grind while still giving everyone else 5 hours and im not talking about "oh its day 1 its unlimited time" its 10 hours or maybe 15 that their cap is that way its beneficial for new players who really want to grind their toons and are willing to invest the rl money to get the silver to buy the sleep powders(drying up that market more raising prices spreading silver to players)

So honestly i do not see how this would promote botting honestly you know what promotes botting? Tedious game design like requiring to press 1/improve 2/improve 3/improve 4/improve 5/improve or as someone once stated "having to queue up action after action where as other games just keep repeating the action until the tree has been cut or you run out of stamina"

Better game design will bring wurm forward and frankly less RSI causing features is a welcome thing for me.

We got level for terraforming with long actions where dirt goes into inventory instead of ground(i wish it was ground/nearby container) yet digging dirt has 2 ways dig_to_ground or just dirt as actions with dig to ground being the obvious easier one to bot, imagine if digging was just a constant action until you run out of stamina or hit the designated actions you want to do(eg dig command that pops up a small window showing you something similar to the bsb drag item options with the added "max digging")

Botting in wurm really isn't that big and not every QOL change encourages botting if anything its the opposite most of the time and the desire to "keep things the same as i had to do it the hard way" isn't valid either wurm needs QOL to make the game friendlier to newer players without making the game faster for older players but just easier on their hands.

Something i have noticed over the years of playing wurm now is that on the days where i am really active for long periods of time my wrists do start to hurt and this is on days where i am really action heavy eg imping items mining/digging for long periods of time that repetitive nature does impact one's health, yet there are plenty of mechanics in the game where that does not happen and why? Because they are designed in a friendlier way instead of the spam click heavy nature of some of the older skills(fishing becomes more automatic with more skill as a prime example)

Anyway a change like a higher restlessness cap for newer accounts is not going to encourage older players to make new accounts and bot on them that idea is just crazy and you know it.

22 minutes ago, Finnn said:

figure what is good and bad rate to grind skill, if you need to improve something and if you need to balance it at some point

currently you kind of have that, old players even though they never benefitted from this system have same access to same gain rate, even if.. it's pay-to-win model, the more sleep powder you get to use.. the faster you get to grind, limited by "restlessness" by coffee.. "big" deal, it's a perk to outperform others for a short amount of time

if you want more.. just suggest 2nd tier subscription.. better skillgains or w/e

pay 2-3x more and grind a bit faster nonstop, this is all you want anyway

To add old players benefit from the current system still but the current system is pointless as coffee makes ccfp useless thus if you got the time dont use it ;) but if you dont its a benefit to everyone equally
As for sleep powder being a p2w id like to introduce exhibit A. Treasure maps if you do resource gathering in bulk quantities the sleep powder from those sustain your grind with or without coffee.

As for a 2nd tier of sub please no that is not what I want at all I want a game that requires less right clicks less repeating the same action by being able to turn actions into going until x amount/stamina is gone as to ease the stress caused on 1. your physical health 2. your mouse, 2x more by paying more is not the way to go around it and not something I want.
I am happy that the price of wurm premium has gone down from 170-230(depending on time of year) for a year to 107-120nzd I do not want to pay more then that per account per year as wurm already costs around 600 a year for me(Alts and deed upkeep) I would not want to increase that at all I rather just give new players a way to grind their skills a bit better for longer as we all know older players who play a lot will always out perform them simply because we have the stats for it.

I want a more fun game to play not just pay more to bring up numbers faster.
Also just to add yes 600 is easily within my allocated budget for my income so I have no issue paying that to this game a year as it is worth it to me to give me what I want but i do not want wurm to go down the slope of selling boosters to xp in that way as that will just lead to gmg seeing that extra income and pushing for more of that kind and soon enough we got ads for boosters ingame

Edited by wipeout
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Finnn said:

10 year old player here, this is my experience with suggestions. 

I've literally seen the devs for a decade design everything around "potential alt abuse" that someone might somewhere in the future abuse a mechanic.

This has lead to 1000 good suggestions actually rotting in the void right now because someone might abuse it. 

Reality check here. Using alts is a form of legal abuse. Someone with a lot of money will always be at a higher advantage than someone without. 

Got money? Prem 20 alts and grind your priest fast! Want to quickly excavate a mine system? Use your alts to help mine. Want to get more scales or blood then the rest of players? Bring 20 alts at public dragon slays. Want to have an edge in pvp? Bring more alts if you got the attention span to maneuver them in combat. Or use them as passengers for boat speed. We can't stop alts. Period. 

We need to stop designing around these oh so frightening and terror inspiring alts and just put in mechanics that are FUN for new people and damn the alts. 

10 years of game design screwed because of alts...it's time for a change.

Otherwise wurm is gonna end up on the MMO deceased list because alts instead of having FUN mechanics for mains. 

• Like 1