Sign in to follow this  
Muse

QoL: change confusing Weapon Hand text

How often have you accidentally tried to put a weapon on your right glove slot, instead of the right held item (main weapon) slot, and got the following message:

[19:15:48] The longsword will not fit in the right hand.

This is confusing, because of course the weapon will fit in the right hand - that's crazy! 

What the game means to say is this:

[19:15:48] The longsword will not fit in the right hand glove slot. Please place it in the empty right hand held item slot below.

Or similar.

I find it's intuitive to drag a weapon to the glove symbol - I still find myself doing it after nearly 9 years of play!  Is it just me? :) 

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

12 minutes ago, Muse said:

How often have you accidentally tried to put a weapon on your right glove slot, instead of the right held item (main weapon) slot,

honestly 0 times, i dont know why anyone would drag a weapon instead of using equip.

but that said this change wouldnt affect people like me in any way, so if it really confuses some people then sure, why not.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 2

I agree to Tpicol for my part, never dragged a weapon in, understandable though. Rather I frequently drag it out when taming some animal, or feeding Grumpy (our house gob). But then it is in the right place ofc.

• Like 1

I always drag my weapons onto the character and that automatically puts it in the right slot, but I'm all for changes the make the game more clear! It is silly for the game to say that a weapon won't fit in your hand.

• Like 2

This is fascinating - I have never used equip.  I wonder how many newer players are on the same path!

14 hours ago, Tpikol said:

honestly 0 times, i dont know why anyone would drag a weapon instead of using equip.

Dragging and dropping weapons into inventory specific slots is a thing as old as Baldur's gate and Planescape Torment. 

It's a 30 year old design that is still used to this day in many RPG's and mmos. That implies a good chuck of gamers are used to the drag and drop into inventory slots mechanic, which is what I am guessing Muse is talking about. 

A lot of games also have the equip + drag and drop option. Gotta look at things through player's behavior. Muse is making a good point here. 

I don't know if the devs do this but I am pretty sure they don't  , aka actually using focus groups and getting new player feedback for every little action to understand how new people actually experience Wurm Online.