Sign in to follow this  
Shrimpiie

Weather, Time, Wurmtastic

Idea One:

Make the compass an always UI thing, with the stats of the newbie compass in relation to length of time until unsettling and length of time to settle. All other compasses modify off of that. That way anyone has a compass they can utilize, and if they want better stats on it they can keep a better one on their person.

Idea Two:

Tacking onto the first idea, remove the /weather command and just add it onto the compass on the UI mouseover. /commands are incredibly oldschool and I can't tell you the number of questions that come up from new players in CA Help regarding direction that we have to tell them some archaic directional command to find wind direction.

Idea Two-Point-O:

While at it may as well add a wind direction/speed to the ingame map as well.

Idea Three:

Move the /time command onto the compass on UI mouseover same as Idea Two which builds off of Idea One, instead of some obscure /command or make an actual UI element with a clock if it is too "immersion breaking" to have on the compass.

• Like 4

Idea Three:

Move the /time command onto the compass on UI mouseover same as Idea Two which builds off of Idea One, instead of some obscure /command or make an actual UI element with a clock if it is too "immersion breaking" to have on the compass.

Honestly, I would like to see sundials that actually work.  Where I agree with idea one and two, it would be great to have decoration that would also have functionality.

Regarless, Thumbs up all around from me.

3 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

remove the /weather command and just add it onto the compass on the UI mouseover. /commands are incredibly oldschool and I can't tell you the number of questions that come up from new players in CA Help regarding direction that we have to tell them some archaic directional command to find wind direction.

then dont tel them to use some "archaic directional command" tell them that f6 is the default button for showing the time of the day ingame. i believe f7 is empty by default now so maybe make that do weather by default.

please do not remove the commands even if you do this, removing the commands would mean we cant use keybinds anymore. which would force everybody to use the new system.

idea one sounds good. if new accounts no longer have to start with a compass because no compass means you get a slow settling one that would also stop the kinda abusable way people make alts to make waystones.

Commands doesnt have to be removed even if a (more intuitive) feature is added.

+1 to these!

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm on board with these suggestions. Don't want to remove the old-school command line function tho, but having some other way to tell time or wind speed & direction would be nice.

So instead of a compass on the UI, you'd have one of those wood-and-brass mantel piece ornaments with a compass, barometer (to indicate the weather) and anemometer to indicate wind speed.

I would like that.

I like having the slash commands for power use reasons, and I certainly want to keep them. They should be entirely optional for regular gameplay though.

I'd prefer if weather and wind direction got its own widget. Something like what a phone weather app might give you, but styled to fit the game.

I'm all for more this info being more easily accessible. There are too many strange ways of doing things in the UI.

I actually like this a lot, a well thought out suggestion that is not game breaking and makes a lot of sense. Great QoL improvement right there.

My clumsy fingers say yes because that means no more typo. My stupid brain say no because typing commands is a practice to improve typing.

My clumsy fingers have more power than my stupid brain. So yes to whatever ideas that can hide my flaw.

It created more options just like they added the right click on mobs to call guards from guard towers. 👍 

Edited by Coach

leave the /commands be, just do not depend on them alone to trigger effects and feedback, offer UI options to trigger events and information

nothing wrong to have the commands function and do same thing*

UI should offer the functionality on it's own just for the boomers(everybody.. let everybody have lazy access to features from UI alone)

same applies to /balances, /playtime, /random <x>, ...

friendlist/management/and new or old players finding each other(not everybody's great at navigating the map):

for the sake of.. all potatoes... make decent friendlist with UI management, simultaneous friend-requests to work, etc.....

or possibly also add option to ping players... once every 20minutes to show location on the map itself with a pin(you have a great argument, keep that hand down, any priest able to locate can do this with no restriction)

I like this idea, particularly adding weather information as a mouseover to the compass.

It would also be fun to expand on predictive information about the weather, if that's possible, based on a character's level with the Nature skill. That would depend on the degree to which changes in things like wind strength/duration and precipitation are "decided" in advance by the game itself. (Not that rain currently makes any difference in anything, aside from hay production.)

Edited by Avaxas
  • Like 1