Sign in to follow this  
Davih

Remove Rarity, bright colors and endgame structures from starting towns.

I'm sorry to point this out, but i can't help but think that those really give a private-server feeling of decoration.

Starting towns are the only thing in the entire game of wurm that haven't actually been built by players, and i think that they should be as "minimal" and humble as possible (like they once were) to give a better feeling of immersion and non-adulteration of the game.

If you think they need a few more things, space and tools for functionality, sure... but why colors and rarity? lol.

Rarity, endgame bright colors and difficult to build structures are things that should be left to the actual players, as achievements.

Of course, the rarer and brighter they are, the sillier they become in my opinon.

I'm pretty sure that, do the date, nobody was ever able to create a fantastic colossus in game, the day something like that happens, it should be an epic achievement and a unique and basically impossible to recreate landmark...
Except there are already a few in the game that were simply spawned by a GM with a single line of code who apparently thought it was a good idea to do that and randomly throw one on a hill like it's a random rock.

If this doesn't feel wrong to you at this point, i'm pretty sure that no amount of text i write is going to convince you, so yeah, i'll leave it as it is.

I think i said this more than once in other places, but i haven't "actually" made a suggestion about it, so i thought it was a good idea to post it here and get some feedback to see if it's just me, lol.

• Like 11

you know its bad when people cant find token easy

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Trash said:

you know its bad when people cant find token easy

This

I agree with this for a number of reasons. Yes, I get that you want to show off the best and brightest the game has to offer, but let that be one of the wonders of exploration. Then, when a player comes across a beautiful deed, the feat of creating that space can be seen as the achievement and effort that it was. Instead, you're setting up the expectation that the things in this starter town are the norm.

In other games where it's not a sandbox and these starter towns are a hub of activity it makes sense for the best and brightest to be on display. Here, it just creates a jewel that makes all other treasures seem average and unimpressive.

• Like 3

I actually quite like the grandness of some of the starter towns, Sonata looks lovely, but I can see how it sets an unrealistic expectation.

Maybe if they were to be made more humble, players could have the option of pitching in to improve them over time and get credit for it when people inspect the items? That way if a server works together they could have a really grand starter town that they contributed to.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HawkHawk said:

I actually quite like the grandness of some of the starter towns, Sonata looks lovely, but I can see how it sets an unrealistic expectation.

Maybe if they were to be made more humble, players could have the option of pitching in to improve them over time and get credit for it when people inspect the items? That way if a server works together they could have a really grand starter town that they contributed to.

That is definitively a good idea, i mean, if every shiny, colorful / rare item would have been created or donaed by someone or the fruit of community's work, it would still set a high expectation, but at least there would be a story behind it. Some lore that justifies its presence there.
It's just the fact that unrealistic items (like the avove mentioned fantastic colossus, lol) have just been spawned there with zero context, effort or reason behind that that seems a bit off.

4 hours ago, Archaed said:

What town is like that? 

At least most of the NFI ones i think, haven't checked SFI in a while

tenor.gif

they should show what players can do with their creativity, not luck