Sign in to follow this  
CalebXephrime

Topology on treasure map

Hi there,

having a difficult map QL74 and hunted down 4 clues already. I got now a new one that was looking initially quite easy as I found a spot that seems to be matching pretty easy. Now I am digging here since 2h overall already and not finding anything. The problem is that it is within a forest with a topology that is not matching exactly.

First the map and hint:

r3l07Bu.png

1) Basically I am taking 3 ideas to find that place. The easiest one seems to be the crack in the road and finding that height different, follow it a bit and dig arround. This actually looks like this (I am exactly where the curve is):

yaztVrE.png

So actually there is a heigh difference and I followed it digging up everything at the right but finding nothing

2) At the top bottom there is a sand area. I can find this also and it seems to be arround 3 fields. Thus I dug up at that distance nearly the road already. Nothing

3) At the bottom there seems to be a steppe. I followed it, tried to right a bit east to it up north. Nothing

4) At the top right there seems to be another topology that is in the forest and seems to be not so obvious. It might indicate that it is more SE than the other approaches might indicate.

My basic problem is that the topology from map and reality doesn't seem to match the map very much. E.g. at the top left there seems to be another line crossing the road that doesn't seem to exist. I have the same problem from the south following the road as there seems to be more height differences  than actually exist.

Any help is highly appreciated as i am about to think I am digging some where completely wrong or misinterpreted something. Can you help before I am packing everything here :)

Can you include a screenshot of the map dump? Doesn't have to be the topology one, as that wont match anyways

Not sure, if I get you correctly. My best guess of the location would be: https://xanadu.yaga.host/#4342,4076 or SE of it. The topology seems to be close, but there are some difference and they location doesn't seem to contain something. Additionally there seems to be more height difference on the treasure map than on the yaga map. As I just have the directional line, it is difficult to estimate where exactly it starts, especially when I cannot trust the topology. I still quite sure the place is right as the sand in the SE and the steppe in the south seems to be perfectly matching.

I can't see any roads on your treasure map, so you might be in the wrong place. The grey line appears to be a rocky outcrop, heading north-west from a shoreline. I would suggest locating the rock first, then take a bearing. The X seems very close to the south-western edge of the rock.

If this is unsuccessful, the shades of green denote variations in the flora thereabouts. There's a significant pattern very close to the X that might help to triangulate the target location.

I think the elevation lines are unreliable and may have been included as a ruse to cause confusion. I would advise to not rely on the lines as a primary clue.

I think of the treasure maps as drawn by a child with a box of crayons, and we can only compare them to maps made by a master cartographer. Any treasure map is then open to interpretation.

https://xanadu.yaga.host/#4336,4087

As you said, everything match. Finding the exact spot is a matter of trial and error now.

unknown.png?width=692&height=540

Arrows from top to bottom:

• Highway.
  • road going along the shore. Notice the sand at the crossing with the highway
  • Larger paved area
  • small road heading off that paved area and into the steppe
  • Second large paved area
  • Steppe

The map doesn't appear to have any distorsion. So if you can line up that steppe/road area and then go north toward the cross, you could find it that way.

Also, according to the map it will be inside a specific tree area (different shades of green). Which might help you to pinpoint it. #4338,4100 could be the clearing mentionned on the map close to the spot.

Edited by Odynn
more details.

You're basically having all the same idea. Hankrearden was nearby and helped finding it. It was actually a bit more of the road and south than expected. Many thanks for everyone involved helping here in forum and also freedom

• Like 1

The tiny blob of sand near the shore further confirms this location.

It seems I was wrong about the roads/rock area. We all have a lot to learn... together. 🙂

It was definitely further from the road than the map would suggest, but the contour lines were really accurate. just had to trust those more then the exact placement of the grey blobby road thing.

I think the road seems much fatter than it is due to the paint effect. Think as if it was drawn like a watercolor with way too much water, after which it soaked southwards into the paper.