Sign in to follow this  
Serzane

Cadence Community Map Proposal

2 hours ago, Serzane said:

There is a mechanism in the actual map that once you have opted out, your deed is marked so that it is not added by accident in the future.  I am not the map keeper for Cadence or any other server, however I do know the current volunteer who is highly capable of managing the maps appropriate to the server.  he actually handles the map for both Cadence and Harmony which currently have two different methodologies and this has not been an issue.  

Yes, the mechanism is to ask to opt in, not have some treasure seaker/dead deed raider make the decision for you.

If there is any reason for you to come to my deed I'll tell you where it is... there is no reason and will never be a reason.

Edited by Unfortunate

18 minutes ago, Unfortunate said:

If there is any reason for you to come to my deed I'll tell you where it is... there is no reason and will never be a reason.

1. Treasure map clues can be an existing deed. Including yours.
  2. People into archaeology will look for clusters of roads on the map dumps to find places that may have had a deed, and have to actually go there to see if the deed is gone and there's archaeology to be done. This includes your deed, though it will be a mild disappointment to find that it's still active.
  3. People who like to just explore and see what other people have built will do the same as point 2, but won't be disappointed unless perhaps you built a big wall around everything.

You're playing an open world multiplayer game. You may want to look into getting a private Wurm Unlimited server instead.

• Like 6

I think the idea of opt out is good, it would drive community interactions and player encounters which is sorely needed in an MMO environment, this could also add to the economy and add to trades between players also.

• Like 1

I vote Opt-Out. The community is what matters most.

8 hours ago, Serzane said:
8 hours ago, Tukodama said:

I have a serious questions and concerns;

If I opt-out and have my deed taken off the map and 3, 6 or 12 months later some random adventurer keeps posting to have my deed added to the map, what will my compensation be for having my privacy breached if my deed gets re-added to the map?  Will this be considered griefing, since I have already stated to remove my deed from the map?  Will I be compensated with silver, sleep powder or free play time?  Who will be monitoring the map to make sure the players that opt-out, stay off the map?

There is a mechanism in the actual map that once you have opted out, your deed is marked so that it is not added by accident in the future.

8 hours ago, Tpikol said:

we cant stop people from posting it but it wont be added to the map there is no need to monitor the map. 

The problem isn't ur deed gets re-added to the map because the program have a list to avoid adding ur deed on map.
The real problem is, Opt-out rule increase the chance to see ur deed name and coordinate post on forum because other people don't aware ur deed is on the list to stop posting ur deed info on forum. Unless the program also directly monitor the forum post, otherwise the deed owner or forum monitor have to monitor the forum whether ur deed info are added on forum or not. That would increase people workload. For example, request the forum monitor to delete the posts which have ur deed info.

Not on the map but on the forum. Ur privacy of deed name and coordinate get revealed on the forum more likely.
Instead Opt-in rule have a less chance that other people post ur deed name and coordinate on forum because people can only post the deed they owned.

Because of the community is what matter most. Provide an opportunity to talk to others with care about what the people actually think no matter the people agree to appear on a forum/third party map or not. Opt-in is the choice.

Edited by Coach

8 hours ago, Tukodama said:

I have a serious questions and concerns;

If I opt-out and have my deed taken off the map and 3, 6 or 12 months later some random adventurer keeps posting to have my deed added to the map, what will my compensation be for having my privacy breached if my deed gets re-added to the map?  Will this be considered griefing, since I have already stated to remove my deed from the map?  Will I be compensated with silver, sleep powder or free play time?  Who will be monitoring the map to make sure the players that opt-out, stay off the map?

if you dont want to be known or people visiting your deed on an MMO game maybe you should rethink what you are doing here on this MMO game. maybe this game is not for you. 

• Like 3

Just now, Gingeko said:

if you dont want to be known or people visiting your deed on an MMO game maybe you should rethink what you are doing here on this MMO game. maybe this game is not for you. 

Or to be honest, not have chosen the most populated server in the game....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gingeko said:

I can't speak for Tukodama, but 

On 6/21/2022 at 3:00 PM, Coach said:

My deed is kind of ready for people to spot it by normal travelling like walking or sailing. But not ready for people to spot it on third party map.

On 4/23/2022 at 9:56 AM, Coach said:

Collect people😈, the kind people and turn them into ..... more kind people 😊

I show them what i collected when they come to my deed 😁. Most of them are unlocked in a walkable area. Welcome and help urself.

Don't even have fences to block people to have a tour. The problem is the harm to the community which caused by the Opt-out policy more than the Opt-in IMO.

28 minutes ago, Serzane said:

Or to be honest, not have chosen the most populated server in the game....

I didn't choose cadence because of Opt-in policy at first. But i stay here one of the reason is because it is the only one Opt-in policy in the entire NFI.

Edited by Coach

Coach, don't worry, even with the change your place won't be put on the map.  

Besides, you can see it from Outer Space. 😀

Edited by Serzane

7 minutes ago, Serzane said:

Coach, don't worry, even with the change your place won't be put on the map.  

57 minutes ago, Coach said:

The real problem is, Opt-out rule increase the chance to see ur deed name and coordinate post on forum

Not on the map but on the forum. I mean i am openly in-game but hermit on third party map. I simply ask the forum monitor to delete the deed info on forum if i see that. I am concerning what the hermit in both people would think. Might have to agree what Gingeko said, they might have to reconsider is this game still good for them.

Yes, cause opt-in would just delay the inevitable, it's just an inconvenience as it is right now.

1 hour ago, Coach said:

Not on the map but on the forum. I mean i am openly in-game but hermit on third party map. I simply ask the forum monitor to delete the deed info on forum if i see that. I am concerning what the hermit in both people would think. Might have to agree what Gingeko said, they might have to reconsider is this game still good for them.

Okay, I understand what you're saying under the compromise and since you aren't connected to the highway system, your deed remains opt in.  This means if someone inadvertently reported your coordinates to be added to the map on the forum, that post should be deleted as it would be in violation of the map rule compromise.  If at some point you were to connect to the highway system, you do have to turn on a permission in your deed for others to be able to find you on the highway pull down menu.  Even if you did activate that permission, and you have opted out under the highway connected deed change, any post on the forum that states your coordinates should be removed.

5 hours ago, Coach said:

The real problem is, Opt-out rule increase the chance to see ur deed name and coordinate post on forum because other people don't aware ur deed is on the list to stop posting ur deed info on forum. Unless the program also directly monitor the forum post, otherwise the deed owner or forum monitor have to monitor the forum whether ur deed info are added on forum or not. That would increase people workload. For example, request the forum monitor to delete the posts which have ur deed info.

You do not have the right to forbid other people from sharing your deed location in the first place. You can ask people not to, that is all, but they do not have to honor that.

If someone posts it anyway in a map thread it'll just get ignored since the map maker already has it on a list of what not to include, and if you don't pull attention to it, chances are good nobody will ever even think about it.

Consider that if your deed is not on the map, and someone needs to know where it is for a clue and asks in the forum or in server chat, everyone who does know where it is (for example from private mapping) is allowed to share. I certainly would help people that way for the deeds I've found on my travels. Ultimately that would get your deed more attention than when it was just on the map with 100+ others.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gingeko said:

Agreed. Wurm Online is run on public servers and as a result your character progression on said public servers is more than likely going to be seen and shared by other people. Keeping deed locations secret is a courtesy and not a requirement.

• Like 1

One more reason: deity missions occasionally also mention deeds, and even say approximately where on the server they are. Something like "Vynora wants you to give 25 rope to Avatar of Vynora, who was last seen near <deed name> which is within a few map squares of <somewhere>".

2 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

One more reason: deity missions occasionally also mention deeds, and even say approximately where on the server they are. Something like "Vynora wants you to give 25 rope to Avatar of Vynora, who was last seen near <deed name> which is within a few map squares of <somewhere>".

but does not say grid coordinates x:1234 y:5678

the "fun" is in the finding in the area not going directly to the exact location someone else once found.

3 hours ago, Lisimba said:

You do not have the right to forbid other people from sharing your deed location in the first place. You can ask people not to, that is all, but they do not have to honor that.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:02 PM, Coach said:
On 6/24/2022 at 2:21 AM, Lisimba said:

This game is a shared, public sandbox. As a player you do not have a duty to announce everything you do, but neither do you have the right to forbid other players from sharing what they discovered

In any third party program, I believe asking the permission from the person is the best because they might not expect any third party programs that are sharing info in public. Don't know what they will think after they find out. Third party programs ain't compulsive to sign up to play wurm, don't expect people to use it. Some might consider third party programs are some kind of cheating tools and they refuse to give any attention to them.

I believe that's why the third party map owner set up a DO NOT POST DEEDS THAT AREN'T YOURS OR HAVE APPROVAL TO POST BY MAYOR rule to forbid players from sharing what they discovered.

3 hours ago, Lisimba said:

Consider that if your deed is not on the map, and someone needs to know where it is for a clue and asks in the forum or in server chat, everyone who does know where it is (for example from private mapping) is allowed to share. I certainly would help people that way for the deeds I've found on my travels. Ultimately that would get your deed more attention than when it was just on the map with 100+ others.

That is one of the great part of not showing deed on the third party map, that give people an opportunity to start conversation on server chat or whatever communication platform and become more socialize on a MMO. That is what the exploration update are for. Maybe someone who will nice enough to guide u to the destination or simply teleport u if they have a priest in-game. Instead of just looking on a third party map and figure the location out by urself. 

Edited by Coach
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Unfortunate said:

but does not say grid coordinates x:1234 y:5678

the "fun" is in the finding in the area not going directly to the exact location someone else once found.

Some people find it fun to search themselves and will, some don't and will get the info elsewhere. Some people will search at first and if it's taking too long they go to the map. Lots of options for different play styles, just like with many other game mechanics.

Some people want to discover cooking recipes themselves, other people get them via the recipe sharing initiatives, where you can get a batch of recipes already found by other players, or from one of the spreadsheets, which also list recipes found by other players.

Some people want to build their own ships, weapons, armor, and so on. Other people don't, and buy from other players.

Some people want to figure out how to best skill up themselves, other people look at the wiki and the guides. There's a big "how to grind everything" thread in the forums that has lots of detail figured out by other players. You don't have to look, but if you want to it's there.

Some people want to figure out runes themselves, other people look them up on the wiki. There's a big table of what does what, found out by other players.

Some people want to figure out meditation questions themselves, other people don't, and prefer to use what other people found out. Again, the answers are on the wiki.

Some people want to figure out material properties themselves, finding out which materials have bonuses to what. Most people will just look it up on the wiki because honestly it's not very discoverable. But it's there.

Some people want to figure out themselves how rifts work and would like to just jump in. Other people don't, and will read a guide, with info other people found out.

And yes, some people want to search for things on the map themselves, and other people prefer to find it on a map so they know where to go. Considering how popular the maps are, there are likely a lot of the latter. Even when you know your target location there's a lot of fun to be had in orienteering, planning a route, considering and taking shortcuts (and occasionally failing and getting lost), fighting and evading mobs, etc. Personally I find that part a lot more fun than the searching part.

I vote Opt-Out.

I feel an incomplete community map could be an issue of frustration for new players. We're trying to hold onto our newbies!

• Like 2