Sign in to follow this  
Serzane

Cadence Community Map Proposal

Having settled on both Harmony and Cadence, I've discovered a major difference in community maps.  I've also found out that the Harmony map was an "opt out" map vs Cadence being an "opt in" map.  What this means is that the Harmony Community map is far superior in deeds and other things actually being mapped.  Since Wurm is not a sub group of any Witness Protection initiatives, I am proposing that a change to the Cadence Community Mapping is put to a vote.

Yes for "Shall we change the Cadence Community Map to an opt out model?"

No for "No, leave me alone, I am not to be found, ever,"

The reason for this proposal is frankly the new update for treasure hunting.  I personally have seen a multitude of deeds ON the highway system, and not on the community map.

Anywho, this is my proposal.  

• Like 4

Oh i didn't realize different servers have different policy, i thought every maps are opt-in.

I think this is a great opportunity to re-examine the opt-in policy since there was a new exploration update recently which relate to mapping. And i know opt-out make treasure hunt finding easier and faster.

I wonder why people vote opt-in at first for cadence. Is it because of this post Explorer's Guild - Cadence Map? Who made the policy in the first place?

Personally i vote No for "No, leave me alone, I am not to be found on third party map, for now," My deed is kind of ready for people to spot it by normal travelling like walking or sailing. But not ready for people to spot it on third party map. And idk what people would think if their deed appear on a third party map without noticing that.

Edited by Coach

good luck but i bet this will go the way this discussion has gone in most servers, people who dont understand that opt-out means they can still choose for their own deeds to stay out of the map will vote against it and sink it.

there is a lot more people who  dont read the forums and have no idea how to have their deed added and a lot of deeds that are just abandoned and get left out by the opt in policy.

as you can see on harmony once an opt out policy is in place the people who complain when a discussion comes up dont even notice. but this is wurm and people love to complain.

2 hours ago, Coach said:

But not ready for people to spot it on third party map. And idk what people would think if their deed appear on a third party map without noticing that.

then you and those other people can opt out, to stop it from ever appearing.

• Like 5
  • Cat 1

Yeah I'm cool with deeds automatically being added on the community map, no point in trying to 'hide' imo. When you play a multiplayer game such as this, you have to be prepared to actually be around other people (obviously), and for your deed to be stumbled on. 

I have my own personal/private map that I mark/collect deeds that I come across anyway whether or not they are on the community map. Part of the fun of wurm is exploring, looting, and now treasure hunting. I just use the community map as a reference when needed.

• Like 2

Note that as soon as you start building anything, you show up on the next map dump. People can already find you on the community maps just by looking for clusters of roads and packed areas and other such features. The only thing this is about is putting a name to the place.

I may be missing something, but voting "no" seems to be the equivalent of saying some or all of the following:

• I don't want my deed on the map and I don't want to have to post in that map's thread to say so (although I have no problem posting in this thread to say so)
  • I don't want deeds on the map whose players are completely unaware of the forums 
  • I think that it should be harder for other players to find treasure

I'm voting Yes because that seems reasonable. 

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 3
  • Cat 1

I posted "No" because the OP asked us to post "Yes" or "No", I guess I color within the lines too much.    But since we are now discussing,  you are missing a very important reason, "I don't want to make it easier for Raiders to find fallen deeds"......  then there is the issue of name removal,  how do deed names get removed after they fall, obviously if the upkeep isn't paid the player isn't active to request a removal.  What happens when someone builds over an old deed? the map would be filled with a bunch of deed names making it impossible to read in some areas and SUPER easy to complete treasure maps.  (to me,  Easy is not the spirit of this game).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marie said:

I posted "No" because the OP asked us to post "Yes" or "No", I guess I color within the lines too much.    But since we are now discussing,  you are missing a very important reason, "I don't want to make it easier for Raiders to find fallen deeds"......  then there is the issue of name removal,  how do deed names get removed after they fall, obviously if the upkeep isn't paid the player isn't active to request a removal.  What happens when someone builds over an old deed? the map would be filled with a bunch of deed names making it impossible to read in some areas and SUPER easy to complete treasure maps.  (to me,  Easy is not the spirit of this game).

hey Marie, just to answer your question, whenever I come across a fallen deed that was once mapped, I report it to Minikilljoy who manages the map and he removes it right away.  obv, that doesn't cover everything, but I do know that he also monitors the reports in discord of deeds that do fall and he can make those removals.  because of that, there aren't many fallen deeds on the community map.  Also, deed raiders watch that discord channel, they then tend to make alts to sit on the fallen deed, and pop on every so often to see if its lootable yet.  i'm not a fallen deed raider personally, but I know a few who do and watched this happened to a fallen deed close to my current deed here on cad.

• Cat 1

23 minutes ago, Marie said:

"I don't want to make it easier for Raiders to find fallen deeds".

raiders are doing just fine without it.

how do deed names get removed after they fall, obviously if the upkeep isn't paid the player isn't active to request a removal

everytime a deed disbands in cadence this account https://twitter.com/WO_Cadence sends a twit about it. you can also see it in game in local history. i dont know how the current map updaters do it now but i know i used to monitor disband tweets.

What happens when someone builds over an old deed?

how is that a problem?

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

My opinion, Yes, Opt-Out doesn't mean compulsory, so I think that its extremely reasonable, it'll benefit the whole community

Will be great to see the map become much more populated :D

I'm just referring to the clutter of having 3 or 4 deed names in 1 location.   

58 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

how is this a problem?

I'm just referring to the clutter of having 3 or 4 deed names in 1 location

1 hour ago, Serzane said:

hey Marie, just to answer your question, whenever I come across a fallen deed that was once mapped, I report it to Minikilljoy who manages the map and he removes it right away.  obv, that doesn't cover everything, but I do know that he also monitors the reports in discord of deeds that do fall and he can make those removals.  because of that, there aren't many fallen deeds on the community map.  Also, deed raiders watch that discord channel, they then tend to make alts to sit on the fallen deed, and pop on every so often to see if its lootable yet.  i'm not a fallen deed raider personally, but I know a few who do and watched this happened to a fallen deed close to my current deed here on cad.

If they are removed I don't see how it makes it easier for treasure hunting, (I believe this is the main reason for suggesting the change to how it's done).   So it sounds like it has to be an all or nothing map, which in my opinion would be far too cluttered.  Again, I'm only stating my opinion....I will survive either way :)  

5 minutes ago, Marie said:

If they are removed I don't see how it makes it easier for treasure hunting, (I believe this is the main reason for suggesting the change to how it's done).   So it sounds like it has to be an all or nothing map, which in my opinion would be far too cluttered.  Again, I'm only stating my opinion....I will survive either way :)  

its fine if you dont agree but im not sure you understand the question. there wont 3 or 4 deeds in the same location, this wont keep track of disbanded deeds, only existing ones.

Edited by Tpikol

Yeah iam all in for that.. would help a lot with treasure hunts as you said and your map on candence is outdated to say the least

6 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

its fine if you dont agree but im not sure you understand the question. there wont 3 or 4 deeds in the same location, this wont keep track of disbanded deeds, only existing ones.

Ok, I'll concede that I mustn't understand.    How will the disbanded deeds be removed systematically?  And since the vast majority,  of the limited maps I've completed,  refer to fallen deeds  I'm not sure how it helps the treasure hunt.    Having said that, I understand that the concept of having a map is to be able to find existing deeds (if they want to be found), that are tied to the highway system.  I'm fine with it either way....though, my preference would be to 'request' to have your deed added.     

• Like 1