Sign in to follow this  
Muse

Animals not seeing/prioritising troughs

I have noticed the potatoes in my horses' food trough are not going down as expected.

I used one of my horses to test.  I placed a trough with veggies 1 tile away from her, and she did not see it at all.

I placed an empty pet bowl 3 tiles away from her.  She still did not see the trough, but instead said the bowl was empty.

[03:04:16] She is not hungry.

[03:04:16] She has no food in the pet bowl.

When I filled the bowl, she prioritised the pet bowl, even though it was further away.

[03:07:09] She is not hungry.

[03:07:09] She is prioritising eating out of a nearby pet bowl.

After I added the bowl, my horses started eating from the bowl, ignoring the trough:

[03:20:20] The venerable fat Benny eats a potato.

[03:26:51] The venerable fat Southbashira eats a potato.

[03:31:39] The venerable fat Warriorwild eats a potato.

Is there a bug with troughs?

Thanks for looking into this.

Edited by Muse

How big is the enclosure, and does she have the "Penned animal" line?

I found a while back that if the field they are in is over 30 tiles in size, animals were not considered penned and would not use troughs

• Like 1

The enclosure is 10x7.

It does not give the penned line but gives this message:

[20:49:27] She is prioritising eating out of a nearby pet bowl.

If the trough is nearer, I think she should prioritise the trough instead.    Even without the bowl, she does not see the trough at all.

I think that troughs should be prioritised the same way as pet bowls, but they don't seem to at the moment. :) 

I raise a lot of hens/chickens/roosters. I don't know if their feeding habits differ from those of other animals, but I've found that so long as they're in a pen consisting of 25 tiles or less, they will happily swarm whatever food I put on the ground. (They actually stop what they're doing and run to the pile of corn/wheat/etc. at remarkable speed, if they're feeling peckish.)

When I've had them in a pen consisting of more than 25 tiles, they do not exhibit this behavior, and will only eat any food on the ground if it happens to be on the tile they're occupying at the time.

I've never used pet bowls or troughs with them, as dropping small piles of grain on each tile makes it very easy to find the eggs they lay. (I don't use a dirt pen, they now live on enchanted grass, as they are no longer suspicious of it and will lay eggs on it.)

Edited by Avaxas
  • Like 1