Sign in to follow this  
elentari

Would you like to add maps MOI's for other action types? (ex. carpentry, smithing, etc)

Would you like to add maps MOI's for other action types? (ex. carpentry, smithing, etc)  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to add maps MOI's for other action types? (ex. carpentry, smithing, etc)

• Yes I would like them.
    • No, I prefer the system as is.

First off let me say : Good content addition devs! Great stuff! 

As the title suggests I think wurm would benefit from adding MOI's for other action types, not just foraging/ bot/ mining/ digging/ fishing/ arch. 

Maps are already insanely difficult to get, it's a content that relies purely on luck and I don't think this is a step in a good direction. Content shouldn't rely on just luck. And if it does, it should favor the player because at the end of the day you design a game for the player to have fun, since players that have fun obviously stay in the game longer. 

I think MOI's should also be given to people who aren't necessarily gatherers or have hours upon hours to spend mindlessly digging or mining hoping for a map. 

Say player One isn't much of a digger, his deed is already terraformed, he doesn't need to mine stuff and maybe doesn't have hours and hours in the day to spam foraging / botanizing for maps. Maybe he enjoys his playstyle building boats or imping weapons. 

This sort of player is pretty much left out of the exploration update 

My proposition is to add these moi's to players that also prefer to do other tasks than the foraging / gathering ones. 

For those who will comment: "But this isn't realistic, it doesn't make sense!" keep in mind one thing. Wurm or video games are never about realism. As a game designer once said, if you need to choose between realism and fun, always choose fun. If a realistic game is not fun, people will flock to the unrealistic but fun game. 

And if you really need to reconciliate Wurm's Lore (which is non existent anyway if we're being candid) you can always justify it as the following. 

1. [02:21:41] A messenger of the gods wants to reward you for your industrious labour. Keep it up! 

2. [01:22:06] A gust of wind blows a piece of parchment and gets stuck to your face.

3. [15:25:14] The spirits inform you of a distant relative sent you an urgent message. (Or a casket appears in your mailbox)

4. [11:26:00] < Insert god name > Wants to challenge a mortal to a riddle of his own devising. That mortal is you today!

5. [09:36:53] You hear a thud on the ground nearby. As you look up you see a hawk flying away from you, almost angry he lost his prize. You pick up the chest he dropped.

6. [02:47:37] A recent storm has blown some debris your way. You find an odd looking casket amongst the assorted trash. 

7. [12:57:23] The gods are pleased with your fighting prowess!  They reward your bloodthirst with a casket!

8. You find a casket in this creature, it's sticky, eww!

1-6 All these are basically Moi's when imping stuff, such as horseshoes or a mallet.  7 is an MOI from fighting. 8 is butchering. 

I think we could do this experimentally and see how players feel. 

• Like 6

More options are always good, specially when those like woodcutting / butchering have been forgotten from the current list... not sure butchering provides MoI but that can always be changed.

As for the others, it would be interesting to reward all kind of gameplay, the chances of having something from the current action is quite low (20%) and it would also appear that the whole rarity/MoI system is bugged, limiting even more the access to that content.

I highly doubt the devs goal was for us to set up map farming accounts to get a chance to access the treasure maps, so tweaking things in a way or another is both needed and highly welcomed.

Would just like to see woodcutting and a chance when killing hostile mobs added, everything else is a bit much. 

• Like 4

I thought woodcutting would be good. Finding a map in a tree trunk. Maybe animal husbandry too, you find the map clung to its hoof or something.

Maybe just add woodcutting, but otherwise, treasure maps, by their nature, are supposed to be a very uncommon thing; at least in the fictional and non-fictional lore I'm aware of.

Yes on woodcutting, but no to imping honestly. 

• Like 1

Wood cutting makes the most sense to me. As for mob drops I'd say trolls and goblins in particular though butchering could result in a map that may have been digested with it's owner so I could see that as a possibility.

• Like 2

Personally, I'm not even gonna do the poll because I feel it is very situational, The only other place I can imagine it still needs to be added is Burying corpses. Other than that I think we're good as it is now.

• Like 3

Woodcutting should have been added from the start but probably for some bizzare  and unknown for me reason, the game design experts put it behind.

Imo every other skill should be included or at least there's alternative for the lottery ticket provided just for them.  But i doubt there will be a change, because you know, there's people with such adamant opnions and ideas that managed to decimate the player base already and still going strong

Edited by Tor

8 hours ago, Archaed said:

Yes on woodcutting, but no to imping honestly. 

Idk what is this honesty about, but i am just curious, do you ever imp stuff or did you ever put any effort in grinding any crafting skill to high level?

Woodcutting would be nice, as well as being able to get them from combat. Perhaps specifically when burying corpses to encourage people to bury their kills (I already know coin rolls exist for burying actions, but the map roll can be along side them).

I feel like adding them for imping is a bit much. Imping already has a lot of benefits.

Edited by Merc
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Merc said:

Woodcutting would be nice, as well as being able to get them from combat. Perhaps specifically when burying corpses to encourage people to bury their kills (I already know coin rolls exist for burying actions, but the map roll can be along side them).

I feel like adding them for imping is a bit much. Imping already has a lot of benefits.

lol, wont be

3 other actions with more common inspirations are already excluded, along this one.

--

priests already have praying work for maps, what about improving then

you think that's too much...  I had 1 inspiration, only ONE... during the grind of 98 to 99 fine carpentry, possibly no other during the grind of 95 to 99 within 1-2 weeks grinding a few hours a day with some exceptions

--edit

oh yea, not a single item gone rare btw, check last line and think a bit.. you might figure why

--edit

fun little facts.. mined 33 crates of rockshards got 3 maps and maybe 6 inspirations in total

10-11k of clay and only had 1 map from around 8 rare clay rolls(inspirations)

because how it works moi is really terrible botting mechanic that people exploit for years now and normal human gameplay is unrewarded and penalized, but doubt that will be improved

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Finnn said:

lol, wont be

3 other actions with more common inspirations are already excluded, along this one.

--

you think that's too much...  I had 1 inspiration, only ONE... during the grind of 98 to 99 fine carpentry, possibly no other during the grind of 95 to 99 within 1-2 weeks grinding a few hours a day with some exceptions

--edit

oh yea, not a single item gone rare btw, check last line and think a bit.. you might figure why

--edit

fun little facts.. mined 33 crates of rockshards got 3 maps and maybe 6 inspirations in total

because how it works moi is really terrible botting mechanic that people exploit for years now and normal human gameplay is unrewarded and penalized, but doubt that will be improved

I agree. normal improving and crafting is penalized in favor of 10 alts creation mindless spawn. And of top of that is excluded by the game design experts once again.

i think creation actions should have a MoI chance but i do not think imping actions should get one also i do agree that woodcutting and butchery should have been included to begin with

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kordethbludscythe said:

i think creation actions should have a MoI chance but i do not think imping actions should get one also i do agree that woodcutting and butchery should have been included to begin with

Do you play this game?

Any idea about the ratio of rarity spamming players with creation and alts some use for just that.. and what's the amount of inspirations from improving?

You've missed a lot of that content😬

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

lol, wont be

--

--edit

--edit

Allow me to respond to an anecdote with another anecdote. Before priesting up, I used to get a ton of MOI's by imping and rared about 3 of my own tools while training BS, two rare chain gloves and a chain jacket training Chain Armour Smithing, rared two sickles and a huge axe training Weaponsmithing, 3 rare bowls and a supreme bowl training JS. All within the space of about two and a half months.

Since priesting up after the treasure map update I've been praying non stop and yet I've had a grand total of ONE map from praying.

It's almost as if random is actually random.

To expand on my original point, the value you get out of imping tools in general is already very high, and you also have the potential of making them rare+. I don't feel like there's a need to give it even more value.

Edited by Merc
expanded on original point
  • Like 2

If woodcutting is added, there will shortly be no trees left anywhere.  So no on that from me cuz I like trees and forests.

Imping already gives rewards in the form of rares that are valuable monetarily and functionally.  Rare shards, rare dirt, and rare farmed/foraged/botanized items don't compare in this department.  

Combat, maybe--although I do see a solid argument against it along the lines of what I said about woodcutting above, in that there could potentially be no mobs left because everybody would be out killing for maps.  There's less chance of this happening with burying (which has the added bonus that it actually makes sense that you'd get a map from doing it) and butchering, so those might be okay.

14 hours ago, elentari said:

Say player One isn't much of a digger, his deed is already terraformed, he doesn't need to mine stuff and maybe doesn't have hours and hours in the day to spam foraging / botanizing for maps. Maybe he enjoys his playstyle building boats or imping weapons. 

This sort of player is pretty much left out of the exploration update 

I see it as a good thing that newer players who are still working on their deeds can get an advantage here.  And established players are likely to be in a better position financially (perhaps from selling boats or weapons) and can therefore buy maps (perhaps from a newer player who needs the money because the only rares they ever get are dirt and rocks) if they don't want or need to mine or terraform.  There's also nothing stopping those whose deeds are complete from going out and digging or mining in the wild, making roads and tunnels, smoothing out sharp edges on fallen deeds, helping other players with projects, etc.

So as much as I love treasure hunting and wish I could have ALL the maps, in general this is a -1 from me, with the possible exception of combat, butchering, and burying.

• Like 1

As a pvper, I have truly enjoyed doing maps. Running into enemy lands, digging up treasures outside enemy deeds and such. It just a shame how limited you are in ways to acquire maps. I would like to personally see being able to get them while hunting like rare coins. Something to stimulate leaving deed and not just spamming actions on a vein to get them. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Minnie said:

If woodcutting is added, there will shortly be no trees left anywhere.  So no on that from me cuz I like trees and forests.

just like there are no rock walls left anywhere.

this is just nonsense. people will do the same amount of woodcutting we do now, but right now we are denied the rewards mining and digging gets you.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tpikol said:

just like there are no rock walls left anywhere.

this is just nonsense. people will do the same amount of woodcutting we do now, but right now we are denied the rewards mining and digging gets you.

I'm certain I'm not the only one who's grinding mining, digging, etc. to a much higher degree lately in order to get maps.  I almost never mined before the update, but I've mined a ton since.  None of it is visible to anyone who doesn't go into my mine...but if I'd been woodcutting instead, it would be quite obvious to all.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Minnie said:

Trees grow so fast and it's way easier to replace then holes in the dirt around and swiss cheese holes in the mountains, i still have this messed up caves from 10 years ago around my deed that still havn't colapsed.

It's obvious that whoever come up with what skills to give out maps is maining fo priest

I like the killing mobs, would be like killing them and stealing their treasure maps. 💜

Sun

• Like 1

My preference would be to keep it 'somewhat' thematic, so I wouldn't be in favor of something like carpentry giving maps.  But I would LOVE maps to be a possible drop from Trolls and Goblins

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VelvetSun said:

I like the killing mobs, would be like killing them and stealing their treasure maps. 💜

Maybe only humanoid mobs then?  Could be like recipes.  Also kind of fun to think of trolls and goblins hunting for treasure.

• Like 2

Random drop chance at Rifts or the small rifts that spawn around the servers maybe as well

• Like 1