Sign in to follow this  
elentari

If you keep servers separate please keep chats separate

One of the most annoying things on Epic atm is the fact that kingdom chat also crosses over to defiance. 

So for example if Player A asks for help on Serenity to recover his corpse or whatever, he can get a response in kingdom chat "Where's your corpse?" and player A will say "X deed name" which turns out it's actually on Defiance. 

Why are different kingdoms and servers having the same chat ? 

Just creates more confusion than anything.

Can we please separate the chats? Would it make sense if someone's chat from kingdom chat on Indy crossed over to Release? 

• Like 10

At first I was confused because I thought you meant SFI/NFI. But not Epic and Defiance! This seems absurd, so yeah, full backing

• Like 1

ya, i encountered this when before we started HLL, found it odd then, but didn't think much more beyond it. Separate PvP servers and all should have clued me into the fact that sometimes we just DON'T get along with each other and we do need that separation. 10000% all for separate channels for PvP servers.

It's not about people from epic not getting along with people from defiance but imagine a new guy showing up on Epic asking for help and people from defiance give confusing answers. 

Corpse runs, map questions, pointers towards towers, directions to roads, deeds, ruins and someone from an entirely different map and cluster doesn't know if you're even on the same server as him. 

How is this even a game design thing in 2022? 

Also the CA help crosses over to Defiance as well. So while it is nice to answer people sometimes in CA, other times you simply can't help if they aren't even on the same map as you. Anyone talking from Defiance in CA can be read by any player on Epic if it's the same kingdom ( e.g. an MR player on Epic can read Defiance MR CA help). 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, elentari said:

How is this even a game design thing in 2022?

Not to put too fine a point on it but - some New Player accidently choosing PvP over PvE, and not many having sympathy for them 'missing' the ball, or in this case not understanding which is which when they see the selection - ive seen new players spawn on Chaos by accident, not realizing how hard the game truly is

46 minutes ago, elentari said:

Also the CA help crosses over to Defiance as well. So while it is nice to answer people sometimes in CA, other times you simply can't help if they aren't even on the same map as you. Anyone talking from Defiance in CA can be read by any player on Epic if it's the same kingdom ( e.g. an MR player on Epic can read Defiance MR CA help).

i think this works with Chaos as well. HotS can see HotS-CA-Help for all three pvp servers, same for GL. not sure about HotS Freedom however.

you are very much correct  -  the entire thing is very much in need of some overhauling, however we don't want to leave people hanging by accident, and with the base of the game being 'PvP', I'm sure there will always be a way to get to pvp from tutorial island, even if there has to be lots of hoops to jump through

If some pvp servers get more attention than others then perhaps management should just keep one pvp server open and close the rest. 

There is no "fixing" by ignoring an issue. Either go full in with a decision or not. Half measures like ignoring Epic for years hoping it revives or goes full dead isn't helping anything. 

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit

Every Epic related discussion goes towards "close epic" etc.

There are still ppl there exclusively. Other people like me still have stuff to do there even if we mainly play on freedom.

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit

People on Defiance are like players of Epic, just few years earlier.

And if I remember correctly, Chaos already were empty, few times. It's just currently not on the bottom of sinus function.

As much as I would like Epic to be saved, I guess only vialable solution would seem to be one big pvp server, disconnected from freedom.

But there's the problem with existing accounts, their skills, items etc, assuming that people would not start from scratch. Not to mention deeds. And Defiance just increases this problem.

I know I would not start on new character and dedicate few years to have decent skills. I bet I'am not the only one.

It's a niche game of niche games and yet we have so many servers.

• Like 1

I'd be for consolidation if they could somehow come up with a skill transfer. After spending 12 years mostly on epic, id have no interest in losing those skills I've added since the 2017 skill transfer.

What is nuts to me is that every time people ask for a server merge or atleast a portal to Defiance from SFI we get the answer that is technically impossible because of code, but then here we are the clusters being connected by chat anyway.

Sure is most likely that the difference in code is not related to chat but one can only wonder is it that hard to make them compatible? Who wrote the code? the aliens? is like the same people dev de game since steam launch announced and now.

Same thing happened to Jackal the chat including the trade was working across all freedom they had to separate them in a later patch.

So is doable but i think they are neck deep into working on the part2 of exploration so i would suggest a compromise: color coordination

Basically you color the people's names based on their cluster, say people on epic will have white or grey text while the ones on defiance will have light green or someting.

This would help if the color of the text can be change easily so it could be done in a very short time.

L.E. there is also the obvious solution of making it like the trade channel: everyone will have server tag at end of name and maybe make the people on same server as you have the blue text thingy.

Edited by Cipacadrinho

Or just add as it is on trade chat. 

[20:47:38] <Elentari> (Desertion) hello MR

[20:47:40] <LoremipsumMRdude> (Defiance) sup rehanians

On 6/21/2022 at 3:44 PM, CORNCHIPSS said:

IGXgfgb.png

What kind of metric is this? Maybe they had skirmishes where nobody died?

If pvp is ever to work on Wurm - and by that I mean attracting new players as well:

1. It needs to be marketed as RvR because that's what it is. Compared to Wurm RvR mechanics other games I played are not so in-depth. Compared to other PvP games players might not find Wurm so engaging (I am refering here to the actual combat, which I actually like but that's just my opinion). Think about how many people in the nieche market you would touch with this. There is literally nothing in their promotional videos, no way for potential players to get an idea of this.

2. It needs the home server, contested island structure - some players even on Epic will not want to put themselves right in harms way. This gives very good balance.

3. It needs faster timers to balance loosing stuff to the enemy.

Epic has 2 and 3. For 1 they need to think seriously about this and bring some big update.

Also with 2 and 3 it will also cater to non-pvp people that want a faster pace. Look at Josh Strife Heyes video - people find Wurm too slow. I have RL friends that gave me the same feedback.

Just finding random metrics won't really help. Especially since there are people PAYING for the game on Epic and PAYING for their deeds.

On 6/21/2022 at 1:38 PM, Wilczan said:

And if I remember correctly, Chaos already were empty, few times. It's just currently not on the bottom of sinus function.

This wasn't long ago. I remember exploring it on my own to find loot and stuff.

• Like 1