Sign in to follow this  
Polosc61

Recommendations for Server Host?

I would rather not use PingPerfect - looking for host provider recommendations?

Best to host WU servers yourself. The hosting companies offering WU servers are mostly a rip off.

We've had a great experience with Pingperfect, and an extremely terrible experience with Citadel. Those are the only ones I know, so if you don't want Pingperfect, I recommend you at least avoid Citadel.

I though about hosting my own, but i dont like leaving my pc runnning 24/7 though. Wanted to put up a 8k map, but wasnt sure what pc spec would be suitable for that size.

Btw what pingperfect charge for running a server? Most servers i seen on the list are bad pings or too far away and the one not too bad is not very good setup for there parts. I wasnt happy how things are going with Wurm Online, so i think i need to find a spot or make one on Unlimited.

2 hours ago, Darkelf said:

Btw what pingperfect charge for running a server?

It depends on how much data you want to use. I run over 80 mods and opted in to every optional service they have, but it's still not that expensive. I know people in the US who are getting their Pingperfect servers for something like $15-20/month. 

I'm in Western Canada and they are in the UK, and my players come from all over the world, but we've never had any problems with ping.

18 hours ago, Batta said:

It depends on how much data you want to use. I run over 80 mods and opted in to every optional service they have, but it's still not that expensive. I know people in the US who are getting their Pingperfect servers for something like $15-20/month. 

I'm in Western Canada and they are in the UK, and my players come from all over the world, but we've never had any problems with ping.

Ah thx Batta, there use to be one server i like and good pings, but unfort got pulled :(

Batta or anyone else can help me with this part, i am curious how do you tell if someone is cheating or hacking while got a server up and running. Thinking about uploading the one i made, its 8k map and going to let pingperfect load it up for me soon.

Any suggestions before i proceed?

Also trying to figure out how much ram i should pick for pingperfect to run this huge 8k map. Default is 1GB, increase each step by another additional 1GB and of course more money to keep this running. I know my rig is perfect running this, but i cant have this running 24/7, even if i want to get into something else or play a game while this is running, isnt a good idea.

@DarkelfI chose max everything with Pingperfect, and get perfect, seamless performance on our 2-4K servers. The main difference between Pingperfect and other server hosts we tried is the customer service, which is exceptional. 

On 7/20/2022 at 11:56 AM, Darkelf said:

how do you tell if someone is cheating or hacking

Sent you a PM about this.

On 7/23/2022 at 6:19 AM, Batta said:

@DarkelfI chose max everything with Pingperfect, and get perfect, seamless performance on our 2-4K servers. The main difference between Pingperfect and other server hosts we tried is the customer service, which is exceptional. 

Do you work for ping perfect? It seems every post you do you are telling people citadel is bad and ping perfect is good..

I've used Citadel for years now, For WU, Ark and other games, no problems, it's just strange how you keep promoting one host and bash another in every post it seems

Edited by KillStar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KillStar said:

Do you work for ping perfect? It seems every post you do you are telling people citadel is bad and ping perfect is good..

I've used Citadel for years now, For WU, Ark and other games, no problems, it's just strange how you keep promoting one host and bash another in every post it seems

I do not work for Pingperfect. I tell people about the ridiculously bad service we got from Citadel because when I was new to using a server host I didn't know that it was possible to get much better service. When I tried to move from Citadel, they "accidentally" destroyed my world and I had to start from scratch somewhere else.  With Pingperfect, we haven't had to put up with 10+ days of downtime at a time like we did before. If you had experienced the years of completely crap service we had, you'd find it strange to hear someone give them a glowing report too. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, Darkelf said:

I wasnt happy how things are going with Wurm Online, so i think i need to find a spot or make one on Unlimited.

Shameless plug incoming....

If you want find a spot, you could try The Endless Isles (I am not the owner, but I am an enthusiastic denizen). 

Key elements

•  A 4K server made up of some 25 1k(ish) islands, 17 of them specifically made by contributors and 8 other "filler" islands.
  • 3x action timer.  Skill multiplier depends on your class, for the default it is 3x.
  • Yes, your class.  We have classes.  In addition to default there are 4 classes each with specific game play and another specifically for alts.
  • A couple of other mini-games that are original and unique to the server.

Honestly, whatever you are looking for, you are likely to find over there, or at the very least likely to be able to make over there.  Our host is very gracious and very talented and has in my opinion achieved more in development in a couple of months than I saw in WO in a couple of years.

Check it out:

The Endless Isles: Unique Game Modes, Chess, Cards, Puzzles, Paintings! - PvE - Wurm Online Forum