Sign in to follow this  
Xheth

Enable "plant" in crafting window

As the title says.
I have 6 planters for every herb, coffee and tea. In total 3 full planter racks. This isn't much, as I have seen some impressive planter rack farms.

We can keybind the pick action, which makes it easy to farm the herbs during my daily run.

Planting the seeds back into the planter requires me to select a herb or seed and click on each planter individually.

This system is extra annoying, since the planted items change names and switch positions in the window and I often miss which one I need to plant next in the row. This seems outdated and I personally think should me manageable through the crafting window.

Maybe someone has an explanation on why this is handled like that. (I suspect, that the planter isn't an ordinary item made through crafting, hence the "plant" option, but maybe it can be changed?)

It's a plant action, not a crafting action. 

Completely different code and mechanic 

That's what I thought. Would be nice if we could plant in bulk, or at least fill the action queue with one button press. 

It comes down to your own management methodology, and is somewhat difficult to "fix" without some significant mechanics changes (such as designating a particular plant "type" for a pot or a rack whether it is planted or empty, etc).

I previously had a small number of planter racks with a large diverse group of plants in pots in each rack, based on my three-action queue.  After facing a situation similar to yours for too long, I went with a monoculture in each planter rack.  It simplified harvest, as the number of items I can pick increases as my queue increases, and it simplified my planting particularly now with the "plant from (container)" option.

Just have a bag of seeds for each plant type you have planted.

Note: PLANT FROM (container) IS THE GREATEST QoL IMPROVEMENT SINCE SLICED BREAD
(ahem)

There is a downside: you need more planter racks and more planters if you want a large and diverse group of plants.  However, this can also be seen as a bonus, since by the time that a diverse group of ingredients is actually useful, you will want a LOT of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiah said:

Note: PLANT FROM (container) IS THE GREATEST QoL IMPROVEMENT SINCE SLICED BREAD
(ahem)

Just want to reiterate this. Have your seeds in a satchel, activate the satchel, then right click a stack of empty planting pots in the rack and use the plant action. It will fill your queue with planting actions. For even more streamlining you can (quick) keybind the plant action.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 8:23 PM, Lisimba said:

Just want to reiterate this. Have your seeds in a satchel, activate the satchel, then right click a stack of empty planting pots in the rack and use the plant action. It will fill your queue with planting actions. For even more streamlining you can (quick) keybind the plant action.

It seems there is a much better way of plantig. Did not know the satchel method existed! Thanks.

1 hour ago, Xheth said:

It seems there is a much better way of plantig. Did not know the satchel method existed! Thanks.

The ability to queue multiple actions with one single satchel was added just recently, in the exploration update. Before that you could put a satchel on your toolbelt, and activating the satchel would activate the first item in the satchel. You could queue actions with for example a satchel full of seeds, but you'd be queuing them with the same seed, and that seed would be gone after the first successful planting, so that wouldn't work. People got around that by having for example six satchels on their toolbelt and queuing one action with each satchel. Cumbersome, but not as bad as having to activate each seed manually.

This new system is *much* better though.

• Like 1