Archaed

Pity system for treasure maps

Recommended Posts

A pity system is a system that increases your chances with each "fail" to get a map. 

 

My suggestion is every rare roll that doesn't equal a map should increase the chances next roll, to the point that 1/5 becomes a guaranteed one in five, as if you fail the roll by the fifth roll you'll get one guaranteed. 

 

This is brought to you by the 8 rares I've gotten with no map

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Aaron G. is a relative of Murphy. When they both show up you end up empty while other have their hands full.

 

Does anyone know if the rare roll has to be sucessfull to net a map?

Edited by Bekador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bekador said:

Aaron G. is a relative of Murphy. When they both show up you end up empty while other have their hands full.

 

Does anyone know if the rare roll has to be sucessfull to net a map?

63abe189905c035be66de6c3b548b825.gif

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid idea. This along with the fact that it guarantees a map for supreme/fantastic rolls would work out well to give those interested in lots of treasure hunting (fairly) consistent access to them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orginaly -1 but,

+1 only if there's pity system on MOI while improving stuff, as well, so it's fair for those of us that like to improve stuff can get that rare after 5 MOI without a rare.

This is brought to you by kazilion times of MOI without a rare while improving stuff.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Tor said:

Orginaly -1 but,

+1 only if there's pity system on MOI while improving stuff, as well, so it's fair for those of us that like to improve stuff can get that rare after 5 MOI without a rare.

This is brought to you by kazilion times of MOI without a rare while improving stuff.

 

SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!

 

 

 

...

 

 

 

I mean why is it better to spam a ton of items instead of improving existing instead?

+1 both ideas

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tor said:

Orginaly -1 but,

+1 only if there's pity system on MOI while improving stuff, as well, so it's fair for those of us that like to improve stuff can get that rare after 5 MOI without a rare.

This is brought to you by kazilion times of MOI without a rare while improving stuff.

 

This thread is for good ideas, not abuseable ones sorry, please make your own

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Tor said:

1 only if there's pity system on MOI while improving stuff, as well, so it's fair for those of us that like to improve stuff can get that rare after 5 MOI without a rare.

This is brought to you by kazilion times of MOI without a rare while improving stuff.

Uhh no ty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Making it guaranteed doesn't seem right, but upping the chance a bit every time you don't get one would be nice. That way even when you don't get a map, you at least know you get a better chance next time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lisimba said:

Making it guaranteed doesn't seem right, but upping the chance a bit every time you don't get one would be nice. That way even when you don't get a map, you at least know you get a better chance next time.

Thats what this is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Archaed said:

This thread is for good ideas, not abuseable ones sorry, please make your own

Are you going to call me nazi next

This thread is for every opinion not for you are you buddies, you can echochamber somewhere else i guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Synjor said:

This along with the fact that it guarantees a map for supreme/fantastic rolls

 

Apparently supreme+ rolls doesn't guarantee you one anyways lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tor said:

Orginaly -1 but,

+1 only if there's pity system on MOI while improving stuff, as well, so it's fair for those of us that like to improve stuff can get that rare after 5 MOI without a rare.

This is brought to you by kazilion times of MOI without a rare while improving stuff.

 

Treasure maps are meant to be something to look forward to and experience that you only really get once every short while. That's part of why they're attached to skills that are done as a pretty common occurance that don't yield much good from rarity. Putting the system into imping too will make maps too frequently found, sold, traded and the lootpool would suffer a result because suddenly everyone and their dog is getting rare bone fragments, free upkeep and fancy unique times exclusive to the system. It's not feasable to attach treasure map finding to imping.

And it's nonsensical...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jaz said:

SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!

 

 

 

...

 

 

 

I mean why is it better to spam a ton of items instead of improving existing instead?

+1 both ideas

use runes breh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madnath said:

 

Treasure maps are meant to be something to look forward to and experience that you only really get once every short while. That's part of why they're attached to skills that are done as a pretty common occurance that don't yield much good from rarity. Putting the system into imping too will make maps too frequently found, sold, traded and the lootpool would suffer a result because suddenly everyone and their dog is getting rare bone fragments, free upkeep and fancy unique times exclusive to the system. It's not feasable to attach treasure map finding to imping.

And it's nonsensical...

 

I was suggesting the pity system to be extended on the MOI that doesn't result with rare while imping, not the have a chance for treasure map while imping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't see any difference difference between having it for maps and having it for rares.  

 

If there is such a system, I would think it should only be moderate - increasing your chances some but only to a cap.  Having 1/5 chance mean that 5 MOI's have a 100% chance of at least one is OP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but from what I get it atm it's a MOI within a MOI or have I misunderstood the concept? 

 

Not only do you need to roll a MOI but also you need to roll a die within that MOI and have a 20% chance to get  a map...That seems kinda insane to me. 

 

The "pity system" at least makes sense since you basically have a 80% chance to NOT get maps in the rare moments you do get a MOI. Wish someone could look at the code and figure out a rough statistic at how unlikely it is for any player to do the "Do 10 challenging maps" goal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

+1 The only starting map I got thus far was from finishing the "Hunting for Clues" journal tier. So none from MOIs but then again I also get very few rare rolls in general these days. Time will tell how often I'll be able to find a map form the MOIs but so far it seems like it will be very few and very far between. I get that there needs to a be good balance so not every roll results in a map but I'm hoping that it won't be too few and too far between. Yet, from the math, it sounds like that might indeed be the case and in that case this may indeed be the solution.

 

 

I have to update this I did just get one from farming. :)

Edited by Katrat
Update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the first rare roll after the update, I found a 'difficult' casket.  I thought "That's a bit 'in at the deep end!' "  - so to avoid getting overwhelmed, I've put the difficult casket to one side for a while until I find some novice ones to start on and get used to it.  I'm not equipped for such excitement at my age. :P 

 

I think Archaed is on to something,  but I would offer a novice casket 100% of the time if the roll fails.  (I thought the whole point of the update was to remove the disappointment of failed rare rolls - no?)  A novice box would be a good solution to any possible disappointment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Muse said:

I think Archaed is on to something,  but I would offer a novice casket 100% of the time if the roll fails.  (I thought the whole point of the update was to remove the disappointment of failed rare rolls - no?)  A novice box would be a good solution to any possible disappointment.

I honestly don't think the system was to remove the disappointment of failed rolls, because only two actions in there (farming and praying) are from that. 

 

I'm not looking for every roll to produce a map, but I'd like to know that as I keep going, even if I'm failing, I'm working towards one. The pity system doesn't mean that it has to become 100%, it could increase the chances by 10% each time and cap at 80 too. 

 

1st roll 20% chance
2nd roll 30% chance

and so on. 

 

This is something that's already in special event drops from mobs, I believe troll masks? Every failed attempt increases the chances next attempt. It's actually taken from cash shop lootboxes, but can be applied in more positive terms here.

 

Now, a completely unrelated suggestion has popped up and tried to become a part of the discussion, my first reaction was to suggest it be posted elsewhere, but since some might not understand the difference I'll go into it. The reason this should NOT apply to general imping is the vast value difference between a map, and a more guaranteed rare. Imagine failing multiple impings on various random items, so you then go and imp your boat, or a weapon, or something you know is now more likely to go rare and for its value to increase substantially. That's how that system could become exploited. Increasing chances for a map has nowhere near the potential value involved, as it still goes through multiple layers of RNG. 

 

Thank you for coming to my Fo talk. 

Edited by Archaed
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure. Finding a treasure map should be an unexpected event. If there's a pity system it starts to be more expected, and then it's just not as thrilling when it happens.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggested that so this same "system" is used on a core feature of this game and not just on 1 week lottery ticket

Your original suggesting was guaranteed map after 5th roll without map and that can be exploited the same way you described as exploit for my imping suggestion: after the 5th roll you get your imbued pick or runned shovel and mine some high QL vein or dig dirt, way to get very high QL guaranteed map.

 

I like the muse suggestion better, with a novice low ql map

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vorticella said:

I'm not sure. Finding a treasure map should be an unexpected event. If there's a pity system it starts to be more expected, and then it's just not as thrilling when it happens.

 

Yeah exactly, they want it to be rare event and in same time want guaranteed thing after few failures, nonsensical if you ask me, but oh well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The map as such is just a lottery ticket. Remember that there is a lot of stacked RNG involved and the initial map is just step 2 of several steps towards your treasure ( moi->initial map->1-5 further  "search for X with ambushes/new maps-> get treasure chest)" and you can fail in several ways to complete your hunt for treasure (cant find a spot, too strong mobs, etc.) on any of the steps after getting the initial map. For me there is no exitement in getting a lottery ticket, the exitement start when I see the chest sitting before me and the loot is rolled. What will I get when I open it?

 

And with the current system if I am not putting a char towards farming this system for maps but instead just play the game I will very rarely get a ticket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now