Sign in to follow this  
Bekador

Suggestion: Sawbuck pack saddles for donkey's and mules

Hello fellow Wurmians.

Today I want to suggest the introduction of sawbuck pack saddles for donkeys and mules. I bet many of you remember the old western movies where some person had a mule or donkey behind his horse and the stubborn animal carried various items on it, many times a chest or two.  This was made possible with theese things:

220px-PackSaddleUSA.jpg DonkeyPackSaddle2_large.jpg?v=1595615927lAj2az4.jpg

Introducing them  with slots for 1-2 large chests and limiting them to donkeys and mules would create

a) a way to transport items in a smaller amount than what fits in a cart  through areas where a cart is too cumbersome or can't be used due to rough terrain/steep Hills/deeper Water.

b) a reason for premium players to keep and breed donkeys and mules instead of killing them on sight.

The pack saddle would give enough space to store your treasure hunting spoils or archeological finds while not slowing you down or hindering you while in combat during your exploration adventures. 

• Like 5

I am all for pack animals and pack saddles.  However, I think 2 large chests is too much.  Saddle bags currently already carry a good amount, but pack saddles should be capable of more weight.  Maybe "saddle packs" - something like a backpack perhaps?

Saddle bags are nice for small things, but a Longsword or anything bigger doesn't fit. Since you can find weapons and other stuff during treasure hunts that simply doesn't fit into a saddle bag I was thinking about 1-2 large chest. Even 1 large chest would be enough, 2 would be generous. And remember a dedicated cargo saddle won't allow a rider.

Also it could count as draft gear, finally allowing the "its easy on its gear" trait a use.

Edited by Bekador
  • Like 1

Hmm, I will say that the limitations on saddlebags are weight based, on the total amount a horse could carry based on its body strength. 

Would this work as a massive reduction on weight for calculating total amount it could carry, or simply offer more voluminous storage with the same weight limitations? 

Personally, I'd like the former, as something that only mules can carry, and disallow mounting

Saddle bags are size limited too, I could not fit a LS into an empty saddlebag on a completly unencumbered horse. 

7 minutes ago, Bekador said:

Saddle bags are size limited too, I could not fit a LS into an empty saddlebag on a completly unencumbered horse. 

Yes, but there's also weight limits, you can't pack a horse with hundreds of meat 

I think this could work well if it's a single, simple object that combines other well defined items. I mean, similarly to how a lunchbox gives you new functionality but at the same time has very familiar sub-containers, so this pack saddle could "contain" a large chest and a small barrel, for example.

• Like 1