Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 08-JUN-22

I have a second casket that wont open.

It's works now. :) Ty.

Edited by Katrat
Update

22 hours ago, elentari said:

But asking a player to find the ruins of a deed so old it doesn't even show up on niarja , has no terraforming clues ( roads,  colossi, guard towers) and no one remembers where it was that was also re-deeded by a different deed is nonsense. I kept investigating in an area and was just lucky to be blessed by the RNG gods that revealed a 2nd deed in the same area just in time before I gave up. 

Had one earlier I gave up on investigating. I was sure I was in the right area so instead of investigating I just dug for treasure. I gathered 100+ frags investigating and never had the deed name show, despite being 97+ arch. Second dig for treasure and the clue popped up.

Yea. arch isn't the way to go. You can only hope you or a friend have REALLY good skills at reading the topography maps.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ChampagneDragon said:

Yea. arch isn't the way to go. You can only hope you or a friend have REALLY good skills at reading the topography maps.

It's basically how I felt. Arch is just there to make something artificially more difficult instead of using the skill of reading a map.  If someone at 97 arch has issues with this, RIP the rest of us noobs. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, elentari said:

If someone at 97 arch has issues with this, RIP the rest of us noobs. 

^That.  With knobs on.

Hear me out

Maybe it's a personal preference

7 hours ago, Zerobyte said:

How am i supposed to find this one, i must be missing something?

Look for markings you can find on the community map.

This gives you a scale and a reference point. Just holding up a ruler to my screen to eyeball it:

• Horizontally, going from the desert blob reference point to the center of the black splotch is just under 5 times the distance from the center of the black splotch to the center of the X.
  • Vertically, going from the desert blob reference point to the center of the black splotch is just over twice the distance from the center of the black splotch back up to the center of the X.

Now just work that out in tiles.

• Horizontally, going from 1490 to 1543 is 53 tiles, which is just under 5 times what you need, so divide by 5 and just round it to 11.
  • Vertically, going from 2011 to 2066 is 55, which is just over twice the distance you should go back up, so divide by 2 and round up a bit to maybe 29.

So find the tar patch, go 11 tiles to the east, then 29 tiles to the north, and dig for treasure.

(double post, ignore)

Edited by Lisimba
double post

1 hour ago, Lisimba said:

Look for markings you can find on the community map.

This gives you a scale and a reference point. Just holding up a ruler to my screen to eyeball it:

• Horizontally, going from the desert blob reference point to the center of the black splotch is just under 5 times the distance from the center of the black splotch to the center of the X.
  • Vertically, going from the desert blob reference point to the center of the black splotch is just over twice the distance from the center of the black splotch back up to the center of the X.

Now just work that out in tiles.

• Horizontally, going from 1490 to 1543 is 53 tiles, which is just under 5 times what you need, so divide by 5 and just round it to 11.
  • Vertically, going from 2011 to 2066 is 55, which is just over twice the distance you should go back up, so divide by 2 and round up a bit to maybe 29.

So find the tar patch, go 11 tiles to the east, then 29 tiles to the north, and dig for treasure.

3rd party tools really shouldn't be part of solving game content, same with wiki explaining there's x amount of maps and clue types where you need to do this or that - here or there😩

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Finnn said:

3rd party tools really shouldn't be part of solving game content, same with wiki explaining there's x amount of maps and clue types where you need to do this or that - here or there😩

👏Map dumps are not third party👏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

Okay - external tools really shouldn't be part of solving game content.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Archaed said:

Hear me out

Maybe it's a personal preference

??  An inability to solve something that a player of any skill can acquire because the ONLY way to solve it is gated behind 90s level skill?  By "personal preference" I hope you are referring to the personal preference of those who programmed it that way.  That's the only way I can make sense of that statement.

You don't need a map dump to solve that specific one, but you'd have to map it yourself the old fashioned way on graph paper. The spot is clearly near a hill or small depression, on the SW/NE slope, NE of splotch of tar or peat, with some sand in the NW.

The algorithm for choosing the maps should probably be tweaked to prefer lower entropy so there are more identifiable landmarks, but I haven't had one that was unsolvable yet.

Like:

BYqd3jG.png

That's a wooded area with a road going in a S/N direction up or down a hill, with a valley or hill in the western third of the map forming an L. You don't need a map dump to figure that one out, though of course it helps even if the contour lines don't match up 1:1.

4 hours ago, Archaed said:

do I need more than wurm game client to see them?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

??  An inability to solve something that a player of any skill can acquire because the ONLY way to solve it is gated behind 90s level skill?  By "personal preference" I hope you are referring to the personal preference of those who programmed it that way.  That's the only way I can make sense of that statement.

It's not gated behind any skill

• Like 1

Just now, Finnn said:

do I need more than wurm game client to see them?

That doesn't make it third party, first party means official, which the map dumps are

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Archaed said:

That doesn't make it third party, first party means official, which the map dumps are

You're pedantically focusing on the "third party" wording, it's clear they were talking about the use of tools outside of the game client. It doesn't matter whether they're first or third party. It's bad design when the player has to consult something external to make progress.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LeafLife said:

You're pedantically focusing on the "third party" wording, it's clear they were talking about the use of tools outside of the game client. It doesn't matter whether they're first or third party. It's bad design when the player has to consult something external to make progress.

Like the Wiki?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Like the Wiki?

The wiki can be accessed via the ingame browser, so I guess the solution is to make it go to yaga.host as well.

• Like 1

That just seems like something equally pedantic. 

The point is moot, it's already said something improved is coming in part 2

My last clue (29ql) was a text one, the chest stashed under a tower nearby a village and within 1 map tile of a certain map tile. Actually the mentioned deed is 2 map tiles away and 4 active deeds are closer than that in line of sight.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Here's one that's actually impossible:

4eaSlGi.png

Contour lines don't match any of the terrain in the hint, there's no scale procided, the light green splotches don't appear to correlate with anything.

And here's what that area looks like on the map dump:

AwFlxqB.png

You are never going to find it without the mapdump, and you are absolutely never going to find it ingame.

Edited by Batolemaeus
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, LeafLife said:

im actually going to respond here and point this out to you all, being as you keep missing the point

• this game is so complex that YOUR interaction with it is unique to you

We totally understand that you dont want anything but the game client running, i have limited resources on my PC, and running extra stuff besides the client chews them up. there are some things like Wurm Assistant i would love see integrated into the client, and Deed planner so i can export properly, and proper map software(with GPS :D ), but then when you add all that stuff it detracts from other things as well, however and not everyone needs all these tools either. No one should be forced into any one way.

Edited by Tomatoes
clarifcation

So I got a 72 ql MAP!

The difficult one hmmm...

It had 6 steps, 6 horribly long steps that implied climbing 2 mountains and this beautiful clue...

https://imgur.com/a/gBkRjOG 

Fortunately the mighty Odynn helped me solved the maps. Not joking, without his help I would have been clueless on where to go. What would have otherwise taken me 12 to probably 20 hours, we managed to do it in four hours of non stop searching. Mind you this was with a 90 ql 90 Woa rare horse set to speed up the process. 

Each time I dug, angry mobs attacked. On top of the mountains is where it got hairy, 3 angry trolls + deathcrawler minion almost killed me. I am 98 FS. This was not an easy fight. 

So eventually, after long hours  I finally managed to find the last clue and the treasure was dug. 

https://imgur.com/a/CBGk5z7

Honestly guys... after 2 people putting in 4 hours of work...this is garbage. Maybe it's because it's 5 AM and I am tired as hell , maybe It's because I hoped you guys would listen to your testers and removed the filler trash but really...come on. 

69 coppers in deed chips...you do realise in 4 hours I could probably make 5 times that much just spamming bricks or digging dirt, right? 

So the money motivation is gone. What else remains? Dioptra fragments? Not interesting. Leather? Not my cup of tea. Chess pieces? Well I guess why not, we have a journal goal about them. Ropes? Not even worth bringing back to deed. At least make them cordage ropes, my priest might like those.

But the rest?

Guess I am too tired to express my profound dissapointment but if this is what a 72 ql map and 4 hours of work done by 2 players then I really have zero motivation to pursue this content any longer. What's the motivation guys? Seriously. 

And if someone gives the argument "you just had bad luck on the loot table" let me please remind you one thing...getting a chest at the end shouldn't be about "bad luck". 

1. We have RNG to get a MOI.

2. We have RNG within RNG to get a map within that MOI. 

3. We have RNG within that RNG to get a high ql map.

4. You have RNG to get decent clues that won't suck 20 hours out of your life. 

5. On top of that mountain of RNG so far...you get more RNG by being blessed with an atrocious Loot Table.

What are we doing here? Jesus. What's the real reward here? What's the motivation for this headache? Why so much pointless filler trash? 

You do realise you have to pretty much be 80-90 FS + decent in archeology + have a decent horse + have good gear that's probably worth some money to actually do these difficult maps right? 

So under that assumption, WHY would you possibly add so much filler trash when you require a medium to high end account to actually do that content in the first place when the said player could probably already get all those things with less effort? 

The effort vs reward ratio is absurd. I can ask a friend to make 90 ql leather. I can mine for gems. Source crystals are pointless when I can do a mission and get more karma. 

There is absolutely nothing in that loot table that interests me as a player besides the chess pieces I need to finish a journal goal.

These difficult maps WILL NOT be finished by f2p or low end accounts I can tell you that much. So why would you design pointless rewards that require high end accounts, which can already get those rewards in game with less effort? 

Guys...seriously, change the rewards because so far I have not heard one player doing these difficult maps and enjoying anything about them. This is not good. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, elentari said:

Guys...seriously, change the rewards because so far I have not heard one player doing these difficult maps and enjoying anything about them. This is not good. 

You're talking to the wrong people then. 

Maybe you just don't like this update and you'll find any reason to be unhappy about it. I get the disappointment, but you seem to be upset that others aren't as disappointed as you, it's okay to not like a part of wurm, personally, I hate imping skills, they're boring and repetitive, much like your continued posts here. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Batolemaeus said:

You are never going to find it without the mapdump, and you are absolutely never going to find it ingame.

The light splotches on the treasure map correspond to the bits that have a tree with nothing around, probably an oak or willow in game. The pattern is quite distinctive, and there's a tar patch at the bottom left that you can use as a reference marker. Find that in game, estimate and count out the tiles to the X, and you could probably get the treasure on the first dig.

Sign in to follow this