Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 08-JUN-22

20 minutes ago, Tomatoes said:

I understand that you may have life outside of the game, so you may not have the time or energy to put in to exploring like this, but man, this totally works for someone like me. im stoked here

I really hope your argument isn't "Because I have more time than others, this gameplay mechanic doesn't affect me at all". 

NO one should have to waste 2 hours on a single 15 ql clue JUST to find the ruins of a deed in the middle of a mountainous area. And guess what? Even if you find the deed it's semi pointless since you have to randomly dig around the place to actually find it. The treasure cache wasn't even on the ruins of the deed, it was NW of it about 50 tiles away. 

I repeat this is just 1 clue aka 1 step of a 15 ql map that had 3 steps. 

How is this a reasonable mechanic? For 3 dioptra fragments, 2 diamonds a sleep powder and 2 chess pieces who-hoo... 

There's already a super low chance to get maps anyway  and once we get em we have to content with this archeology nonsense.

Guard towers I can find. Deeds I can find.  Mission structures I can find. I can read maps and can look at the topography to figure out locations. 

But asking a player to find the ruins of a deed so old it doesn't even show up on niarja , has no terraforming clues ( roads,  colossi, guard towers) and no one remembers where it was that was also re-deeded by a different deed is nonsense. I kept investigating in an area and was just lucky to be blessed by the RNG gods that revealed a 2nd deed in the same area just in time before I gave up. 

Which brings me to an obvious question.: "If a player has to investigate the "ruins of a forgotten deed" that has been redeeded by 3 different players with 3 different names over time, what is the RNG you can even find the deed in that spot?"

It also highlights another archeology issue when you investigate. "You can not find traces of any settlements here"  * 5 seconds later * "You find traces of a settlement here" . 1 tile away. 

The clues involving archeology have to go imho. Hours wasted for 1 clue on a 15 ql map..jesus. If I wasn't close to 80 archeology I wouldn't even have found the place. 

This system implies only people with high skill in arch can even do low level maps. See the design issue? No one should require High end skills to do low ql content. 

Regardless if tomatoes has more time or not, it's a design flaw here that should be fixed. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, elentari said:

I really hope your argument isn't "Because I have more time than others, this gameplay mechanic doesn't affect me at all". 

NO one should have to waste 2 hours on a single 15 ql clue JUST to find the ruins of a deed in the middle of a mountainous area. And guess what? Even if you find the deed it's semi pointless since you have to randomly dig around the place to actually find it. The treasure cache wasn't even on the ruins of the deed, it was NW of it about 50 tiles away. 

How is this a reasonable mechanic? For 3 dioptra fragments, 2 diamonds a sleep powder and 2 chess pieces who-hoo... 

There's already a super low chance to get maps anyway  and once we get em we have to content with this archeology nonsense.

Guard towers I can find. Deeds I can find.  Mission structures I can find. I can read maps and can look at the topography to figure out locations. 

But asking a player to find the ruins of a deed so old it doesn't even show up on niarja , has no terraforming clues ( roads,  colossi, guard towers) and no one remembers where it was that was also re-deeded by a different deed is nonsense. I kept investigating in an area and was just lucky to be blessed by the RNG gods that revealed a 2nd deed in the same area just in time before I gave up. 

The clues involving archeology have to go imho. Hours wasted for 1 clue on a 15 ql map..jesus. If I wasn't close to 80 archeology I wouldn't even have found the place. 

This system implies only people with high skill in arch can even do low level maps. See the design issue? No one should require High end skills to do low ql content. 

Regardless if tomatoes has more time or not, it's a design flaw here that should be fixed. 

i was under the impression that a skill in archeology equal to the ql of the map would be used tbh. if this is true then ya, the difficulty on that needs adjusted. My bad.

It's not just that. Former deed spots have changed, the maps have changed. There are now highways where deeds used to be and no way of actually knowing if a deed was there in the first place. 

There's no way for a player to remember every deed on aserver for the past 8 years, is there?  

• Like 1

Seems to work ok for me.

The wife and I did a hunt last night, 3 clues in all, took us about 1 hour, was fun really and the rewards were worth the time spent.

We will do more when we get the chance.

1 hour ago, elentari said:

Which brings me to an obvious question.: "If a player has to investigate the "ruins of a forgotten deed" that has been redeeded by 3 different players with 3 different names over time, what is the RNG you can even find the deed in that spot?"

It also highlights another archeology issue when you investigate. "You can not find traces of any settlements here"  * 5 seconds later * "You find traces of a settlement here" . 1 tile away. 

I don't think you fully understand the archaeology mechanic, and that's okay! 

As you do archaeology you will get hints of deeds in the local area, they pop up incredibly frequently. It's not always deeds on that specific tile, so doing archaeology in the general area will give you the direction and rough distance. 

As for "another archaeology issue" that's exactly how it works, it means the deed wasnt on one tile, but one tile away it existed on that tile. 

There's two mechanics at play here, one is info regarding deeds of the tile you're on, another is info regarding deeds you're not on, but are in the general area. The latter does not always trigger. 

This was raised in test, and was obviously going to be an issue on test because no one knew where randomly generated deeds were, but on live I can say there's not been one archaeology based clue I couldn't work out quickly by doing archaeology, or asking around in alliance/freedom. 

And instead of saccing them, I'll buy them for 1s each 

• Like 1

Keep in mind it's still early days for exploration, literally. I expect it won't be all that long until you'll be able to find 90% of disbanded villages and other landmarks on the community maps.

If you get a map with a clue you can't solve in a reasonable time, just stash it and wait.

• Like 1

I am unsure why so many people complain about the rewards. Next you ask for Yoyo skill to give combat buffs since it is unfullfilling to spend time in it since it have no other use. Somtimes a mechanic don`'t need to be TO rewarding. If the rewards where amazing you would complain that its "mandatory" to go tressure hunt.

But I understnad the frustration with the Old deed thing. It can be quite hard to find old deeds if enough time on the server have elapsed. Even on newer servers it is somtimes kind of hard since the erly days a lot of deeds whre short lived and quite small. So maybe we need a slight chainge to archology? Like a 1/20 chance that you trigger a scann that point you in the direction of the next abondend deed? Like "You find faint/few/alot of old traces of human live that lead to the east" (the amount indicate a rought distance) This would help to find smaller old deeds when you out in the wild. You could also make the distance you can find deeds incres with skill the current grace room with just 1 or 2 tiles around the border is kind of to small for this kind of stuff.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Radircs said:

But I understnad the frustration with the Old deed thing. It can be quite hard to find old deeds if enough time on the server have elapsed. Even on newer servers it is somtimes kind of hard since the erly days a lot of deeds whre short lived and quite small. So maybe we need a slight chainge to archology? Like a 1/20 chance that you trigger a scann that point you in the direction of the next abondend deed? Like "You find faint/few/alot of old traces of human live that lead to the east" (the amount indicate a rought distance) This would help to find smaller old deeds when you out in the wild.

This exists. With 70+ skill: "You spot some markers of an old settlement in the area. It looks like it may be close to the northeast from here. You find a small scrap of something that has the deed name on it... 'Kittenforest Paradise'."

18 hours ago, DevBlog said:

Fixed some UI elements always being on top

Sadly not fixed as some UI elements are still always on top of others - just some different UI elements than before.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

This exists. With 70+ skill: "You spot some markers of an old settlement in the area. It looks like it may be close to the northeast from here. You find a small scrap of something that has the deed name on it... 'Kittenforest Paradise'."

Yea, all I read in this chat is "I don't enjoy finding treasures based on archaeology cues, so no players should be allowed to enjoy that".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lisimba said:

Ah right I am around 60 now so maybe thats why i forget it. But how fare is it? The wiki did not state the distanc it massure. But looks lie a good reason to get archeologie at least to 70. If its just a cupple of tiles (like 10) its maybe not strong enough to be good for this kind of clues if its a realy remot area. It maybe need to be wider then.

Edited by Radircs

UI elements overlapping is just giving and giving more features..

initially it was showing HP bar on top of lets say opened pile or container with items.. HP on top but actually not possible to interact with it unless the window is moved aside so only hp bar is in that same spot, then right click or double click on hp bar was possible to be used; that is now fixed after this patch;

BUT.. some other windows keep acting weird, wagons and containers, piles, crafting windows, recipe window, having half window dragged over another does really weird new thing of switching their priority based on 50/50% overlapping of sorts;

meanwhile having window over UI elements keeps the UI elements like fighting stance HUD be active and possible to interact with.. while having a container(in my case wagon with containers and trying to expand a stack of such keeps activating my AGGRESSIVE STANCE, instead of expanding the stack of containers); for some windows it's not possible to overlap and work normally right now

1 hour ago, Radircs said:

Ah right I am around 60 now so maybe thats why i forget it. But how fare is it? The wiki did not state the distanc it massure. But looks lie a good reason to get archeologie at least to 70. If its just a cupple of tiles (like 10) its maybe not strong enough to be good for this kind of clues if its a realy remot area. It maybe need to be wider then.

You can detect at least ~150 tiles away from what I've experienced, probably more. Might depend on your skill.

3 hours ago, CistaCista said:

Yea, all I read in this chat is "I don't enjoy finding treasures based on archaeology cues, so no players should be allowed to enjoy that".

Let me rephrase this. 

Why is this even a thing for low quality maps ? 

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

but on live I can say there's not been one archaeology based clue I couldn't work out quickly by doing archaeology, or asking around in alliance/freedom. 

Dude...there's a lot of deeds that aren't even remembered by anyone. Some are 5x5 deeds that were thrown in the wild and disbanded years ago. The one I found was basically one such deed. I am tempted to just go back and record the area just to show you how nearly impossible it would be to even locate the place at all. 

• Like 2

My partner and I did 5 easy maps on day one, had a blast and had zero issues, including some with archaeology clues.  Using the topo map dump and working together, we were able to clear each one in about 30 minutes.  It was really fun working together to figure everything out.

Last night we did a difficult map I pulled out while digging tar.  That map contained 5/6 arch clues, 4 of which called deeds that neither of us ever knew existed.  I’ll acknowledge that we got ‘lucky’ in that the most of the clues had terrain that we could use to identify the location, however the ones that weren’t immediately obvious were able to be located fairly quickly by using some orienteering skills.  We ended up clearing that map in a little under 2 hours.  Here is an Imgur album from that map including all of the clues: 

https://imgur.com/a/UdNnPFQ

I think that for the most part, the arch clues are fine, sure there might be one that you need to spend some time figuring out where the old deed was via arch if the terrain is unrecognizable, but that’s okay.  We’ve had interdependent skills/activities for ages in wurm.  It’s also okay if a map ends up being a write-off, that’s going to happen occasionally; it happens when looking for uniques, trying to imp that ‘special’ weapon supreme, opening a boat mine at just the right spot, etc. That’s just part of Wurm.

To me, this is the most exciting update since bridges.  It’s fantastic to have another activity to do that isn’t staring at an unfinished pylon all day or running around trying to find 23 champ pheasants.  It’s a gigantic breath of fresh air in an area of the game that desperately needed it and if the second part of the exploration update lives up to the standards of the first, I’ll be thrilled.

Edited by nineol
  • Like 9

21 hours ago, Darklords said:

Just wanted to fill everyone in on the abrupt shutdown earlier. When the servers came back up it was pretty quickly apparent something was still not working right with food/water/nutrition and they were now draining extremely fast. During our testing we had the newbie food buffs on our testing account which cancelled out the issue and caused us to completely miss it. We will be changing our test environment to make an issue like this harder to slip through for future updates. Next week during our normal weekly reset we will be giving out sleep bonus for the interruption caused.

Just throwing it out there, not that I ever want anything, but would be pretty funny to just give everyone the newbie food buff for like an hour lol

19 hours ago, ChampagneDragon said:

Since update yesterday I am going absolutely batshit crazy with some UI change.

Say I have two "containers" or menus open. IN this case (as of this minute) doing resto have inventory and a large amphora open and spread pretty big, always done this way to see metal types. Old way click on the amphora inventory and it goes to top. Click on inventory (anywhere in inventory box/amphora box) it goes to top. Now I have to resize and drag each time. Others in alliance are reporting this isn't an issue for them..

Am I missing something? Cause right now It's taking me to the point of rage quitting (along with 7 rare rolls farming not dropping a treasure map and my journal box refusing to open)

I have same problems too. As an example, crafting menu always stays on top, dragging items to it is impossible if some container is opened at the same place. When I type anything, symbols appears with a 1 second delay. And many other actions such as marking items delays too.

Here's a fun new display bug when riding a horse up or down a hill... Up hill, my characters slide to the front of the horse off the saddle. Down hill, they slide to the back of the horse off the saddle:

unknown.png

unknown.png

I've also noticed that the horses' breathing animation now flexes the saddle as if it were their back. Kind of freaky looking, but not sure if it's actually new lol...

Hi there,  I have only completed 2 Challenging Maps so far but in both cases the 2nd and 4th clues were at the same location.  Is this by design?

Screw this! Two hours of searchign and my second clue is fenced in a player's deed that I can't acces.

• Like 1

I have a low ql map, that has no clues, only hint for the area, the topography lines hardly match, is this by design? How do you complete these maps?

• Like 1

My first map, my first clue, was an arch clue from hell

40623494793bbef0bf1092818daef8cf.png

Temp. Great. 

Which... which one is Temp? Is it the big one? Are all of those markers fallen deeds? Are some current? Were they only there when Temp was?

And which splotches are useful information and which are useless?

And what's the scale?!

Maybe I can get some hints from the deed's founding - if it's clearly an alt name, and I know where the main deed is, maybe it'll be clear? I wonder if Temp is notable enough that it gives max bonuses to archaeology.

8fc4738682583ee97f61259b4355e6fd.png

Only been a few of those. No way I can get Niarja to show the info I need, dammit.

Okay, so the hint is... perfectly encircling a lake. Nice.

So those lines mean it's likely either the east bank or west bank.

Maybe that white splotch is sand?

Let's see...

c733e0d5108781344cfef51a6c992904.png

Some sand there and if I kind of squint it could line up. Sure it might put some deeds in water, but I've heard weirder. What the hell, let's dig around!

[hours later]

Ain't. It.

Okay, east bank time, let's-

b35b8b2f4c3126a7dadadf6f23d46abf.png

Well doesn't that pirate-hat looking squiggle near the top right look familiar? That's on my map - but the other differences indicate that the map dumps don't use exactly the same method to determine the contour lines

Some other observations:

The map is attempting to show me roads, though it's not certain to make out.

The darker splotches line up with nothing.

I've learned something useful, and that's how I've solved my toughest clue so far.

01591adabc0a69620ce049ec07d1412c.png

Damn this made me feel like a genius

Edited by Stanlee

22 minutes ago, Stanlee said:

Damn this made me feel like a genius

Pilk! 

but seriously, that was very bad. i wonder how many more stories like this we will have - and if any of them will be good ones that end up catching the imaginations of the players :D 

How am i supposed to find this one, i must be missing something?

wurm-20220610-0927.jpg

help.png

[10:13:35] This is a novice clue. You have completed 1 steps of this treasure hunt. This clue may have between 2 and 3 steps.

Only a noob map, no hints, cant match contour lines.

Where i placed the red circle on the community map was my best guess.

Edited by Zerobyte
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zerobyte said:

How am i supposed to find this one, i must be missing something?

wurm-20220610-0927.jpg

help.png

[10:13:35] This is a novice clue. You have completed 1 steps of this treasure hunt. This clue may have between 2 and 3 steps.

Only a noob map, no hints, cant match contour lines.

Where i placed the red circle on the community map was my best guess.

Al the bottom of your map there's a tiny black dot. I'm betting that dot is peat, maybe tar - should narrow down your search a bunch. 

Sign in to follow this