Sign in to follow this  
azuleslight

Suggestion: Treasure map

I think you could add the function to help directional guide you. the idea is using the compass with the map to point you in the correct direction like with branded animals being used as guides home "the treasure is in front of you to the right"  or to make it more of a challenge just give tiles away from and nothing else "you are 1235 tiles from the treasure" this will help new players find the maps. I only suggest this because i am directionally challenged. the hints get more vague the harder the map and compass takes damage everytime you use it to get directions. that way it opens up the market for compasses as well as has a cost for using the extra help.

There were distance cues when examining the treasure map (nothing as specific as a tile count; just general ranges) but it was removed after the first round of testing, after many people said they couldn't find the treasure without it.

I think the key thing may be an intent for people to hunt for treasure, not necessarily for people to find treasure.  😉

• Like 1

It was removed because people used the hot/cold mechanic to completly ignore the searching part of the treasure hunt but instead got in range and then did ride through the forests at full speed spamming examine to "ping" the digging point.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bekador said:

It was removed because people used the hot/cold mechanic to completly ignore the searching part of the treasure hunt but instead got in range and then did ride through the forests at full speed spamming examine to "ping" the digging point.

People used the hot/cold mechanic because the "searching" part was/is terrible and Eustace.  That wasn't fixed more in more than a token manner to offset removing the only reasonable way to locate half the dig spots

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

People used the hot/cold mechanic because the "searching" part was/is terrible and Eustace.  That wasn't fixed more in more than a token manner to offset removing the only reasonable way to locate half the dig spots

No you're Eustace.

Seriously, though. You're given a more-or-less rough guide to the correct area of the server, and a topographical / natural map to help you locate the spot, possibly with verbal information too. Compare this with a community map and you should be in a good position to work out the location. If you cannot solve a map yourself, you can ask for help from people with knowledge of the area, and if all else fails you could always consider selling it.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1

I've only had 1 map so far, not sure how good the items will be as I haven't done it yet.

I hear it is only for the same server you are on? Would it not be possible to have maps for other servers also? To get people adventuring out onto other islands and such. I think a lot of people will just sell them though so not sure how popular it would be but it would be nice to get them for other servers apart from buying them.

7 hours ago, Sheffie said:

No you're Eustace.

Sorry, I should have explained that.  It means "pretty close to useless" .  😉

7 hours ago, Sheffie said:

You're given a more-or-less rough guide to the correct area of the server, and a topographical / natural map to help you locate the spot, possibly with verbal information too. Compare this with a community map and you should be in a good position to work out the location. If you cannot solve a map yourself, you can ask for help from people with knowledge of the area, and if all else fails you could always consider selling it.

Selling it is a really poor outcome.  "Rough guide" in many cases is no guide at all.  The topo is kind of okay, but for areas of gentle slope not much help at all.  The verbal info "close to x village" covers a larger area than the hint circle, while the verbal clues about ex-villages need archaeology skill to solve rather than exploration to solve.  Some maps are fine, some are hard, some are hopeless.  It is the proportion of hopeless ones that made me give up.  The chances of getting a full chain with no hopeless clues is frustratingly low.  I don't play games for them to make me angry - that is the opposite of play for me. 

Good luck to those who enjoy them, but it is a swing and a miss for me.

Edited by TheTrickster