Sign in to follow this  
Thource

[Released] Thource's Minimap Mod

Thource's Minimap Mod adds a detailed minimap to Wurm Unlimited.

Features:

• Above ground and underground rendering
    • Terrain (Including elevation with shaded relief)
    • Water
    • Houses
    • Bridges
    • Fences
  • Minimap dots
    • Creatures (coloured by status)
    • Players (coloured by rank first, then status)
  • Resizable (between 128x128 to 512x512, https://i.imgur.com/QHPzQsQ.mp4)
  • Zoomable (scroll up/down to zoom in/out, https://i.imgur.com/VvDXZ0u.mp4)
  • Settings
    • Set tile size (between 1-32 pixels)
    • Enable/disable north-facing mode
    • Enable/disable elevation rendering
    • Enable/disable transparent water rendering

There is extra stuff that I wanted to add but I'm running out of motivation, so I've decided to release this now rather than wait. I'll add more features in the future.

Planned features:

• Deed overview (will require server to expose deed data in JSON format, Sklotopolis does this)
  • Circle minimap frame
  • Minimap mouseover information (Display which tile you have highlighted, name of creature/player, etc)
  • Customizable NPC markers
    • Colour by NPC type
    • Disable specific NPC types
  • Big preview window (ability to view the full 302 tile square centered on the player, zoomable and pannable)
  • Improved quality when zooming out (currently looks a bit janky when zoomed out)
  • Contour line altitude rendering

Source and download instructions: https://github.com/Thource/thources-minimap-mod

If your game crashes while loading, try reducing tileSize in the properties file, this mod is quite performance heavy and lower tileSize numbers will reduce the load.

Edited by Thource
Added planned features
  • Like 4

Good day.

I like the look of this vs livemap.
The issue I have, and I think a few other players / server owners, is that a lot of servers don`t like the fact that it shows you mob locations (minimap dots).
Is it possible for you to release a version without it ?

• Like 1

I tried this out to see what it looks like, but my server wouldn't load. The problem resolved as soon as I disabled the mod.

4 minutes ago, Batta said:

I tried this out to see what it looks like, but my server wouldn't load. The problem resolved as soon as I disabled the mod.

It is a client mod. It will work well if you also increase the max ram for the client. I did 4096 and it works well.

7 minutes ago, Crustyfoot said:

It is a client mod. It will work well if you also increase the max ram for the client. I did 4096 and it works well.

I meant to say my client wouldn't load  🙂   

I really just wanted to see what it looks like. Can you post a screenshot?

I finally tried this out, and I like it a lot!  I set tilesize to 8 and it looks great while maintaining the FPS I had without the minimap.

I would like to suggest an enhancement to add a context menu for setting north facing, for setting tile size (if that can be changed while in-game), and to toggle the marker dots on/off.

Even without a context menu, adding a toggle for the marker dots would be very appreciated.

There needs to be a way for servers to disable this. It reveals far too much and ruins the point of even having some servers.

I'm not sure how this ruins the point of servers, except maybe PvP where you're trying to sneak attack or something??  Regardless, there's no way a server can prevent clients from displaying data that's sent to them.  Even if the display isn't intended for the vanilla experience.

Seriously? Knowing where everything is every second? Everyone has a radar implanted in their heads. Yeah, sure seems like a medieval thing to me. Don't bother making an RP server unless it's a space colony where satellites pinpoint everything.. 

It's magic...  same bucket as enchanting a tool to make it faster to use or give you more experience for using it.  Or throwing a bolt of ice at a damn dragon.  WU is not a medieval earth simulation.

• Like 2

WU players and GMs have an incredible diversity in what we think makes the game best. Some have no tolerance for bots or macros but are totally fine with any mod (except the mod that's actually a bot). Others allow anything at all. Some think that any modding at all is lazy and/or sacrilegious. Some object to anything but a 1x/1x without any mods at all.

My point is that it makes no sense to come onto other people's mods pages and criticize their preferred way to play the game. If you want players who won't have this sort of mod, go find a group of like-minded players and a GM to match, and go enjoy yourself there. Not everyone wants, or even SHOULD want, exactly what you do in the game. Or what I do. Or what anyone does.

• Like 3

Talking about a server, not playing on someone elses. But nothing anyone, including you, can do about it is there.