Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 07-JUN-2022

16 hours ago, Finnn said:

5e8c2f55922c7cf33f13423f3c47da36.png

not really

You are right - if I sit on deed in the mine forging - its about 1.5GB. However once I go outside to scavenge, within 10 minutes it rocks up to 10GB

Memory-drain.jpg

This is absolutely unacceptable if they are planning to RIP old UI. It never ever uses over 2.5Gb per client. With the new UI I could not run 3 accounts simultaneously at reasonable performance on a dedicated gaming PC that's just 1y old...

Edited by Skatyna

3 hours ago, Skatyna said:

You are right - if I sit on deed in the mine forging - its about 1.5GB. However once I go outside to scavenge, within 10 minutes it rocks up to 10GB

Memory-drain.jpg

This is absolutely unacceptable if they are planning to RIP old UI. It never ever uses over 2.5Gb per client. With the new UI I could not run 3 accounts simultaneously at reasonable performance on a dedicated gaming PC that's just 1y old...

I'm experiencing the same issue. I had to restart my client 5 times, every 15 minutes, during my first treasure hunt on Xanadu. Seems unplayable to me.

This is a VisualVM graph of memory use, where I ran the same ~200 tiles on a horse over and over, stopping one minute at each end to give it some time to settle:

wurmmemory2.png

It clearly keeps on accumulating memory with each run, which it should not be doing.

Also there's a *lot* of memory used elsewhere. The heap size at the end here was just under a gigabyte, but the process itself had a commit of 9.2 GB and a working set of about 6 GB (which roughly means it was using 6 GB of physical RAM and another 3 GB in the swap file).

More running back and forth over the same 200 tiles. This is a graph made with Windows Performance Monitor (perfmon.exe).

wurmmemory3.png

Red is Private Bytes, in GiB, memory that the process has allocated which cannot be shared with other processes. It's accumulated about 14 GB here. Green is Working Set, in GiB, which is more complicated but in this case basically how much is held in physical memory. This is also the value you get from tasklist, which means actual memory use is even worse than what people are reporting above. Both of these are of the WurmLauncher64.exe process specifically, not of my whole system.

Performance was already getting bad, but at the point where green stopped going up it started swapping heavily and performance really went down the toilet.

We are investigating the memory issue and I consider it a high priority for the team right now.

Thank you for all the information, it is helpful!

• Like 12

I'm going to have to do some research when I get home. I actually remarked in a discord that wurm was running better for me and looked noticeably better last night

I'll see what my memory is looking like, if it's not effecting me maybe it can help them hone in on the issue?

On 6/7/2022 at 3:53 PM, elentari said:

Not sure how this got messed up but ticks from imping (with titles on ) are now atrocious. At 78 ql I am barely getting 0.1 improvement ticks (lot of fails), with title turned on and excellent quality tools. 

Been spending the entire day to imp a few lamps to 80 ql. I am 96 blacksmithing. A friend reported she's been trying to get some saddles to 90 ql at 98 LW and is getting more fails than usual. 

Please tell me this is a bug and not a ninja nerf...

Not sure why this hasn't gotten more attention... Maybe everyone is just too busy lusting after treasure chests.

I'm also having this issue. 92.29 blacksmithing, 100 imbued hammer, and getting goofy things like an improvement tick of 63.25 to 63.54 - Anything past 60ish is getting tiny improvement ticks that are rapidly getting smaller and smaller. It feels more like I'm imping past 80 than 60.

Edit to add the below example of improving a single stone chisel from 45 to 70ql over the past few minutes:

45.68 to 47.14 to 49.17 to 50.91 to 52.95 to 54.86 to 56.50 to 58.53 to 59.71 to 61.77 to 62.48 to 62.94 to 62.85 to 63.64 to 64.30 to 65.88 to 66.38 to 67.63 to 68.40 to 68.72 to 69.71 to 70.53

I might just be misremembering as it's been a while since I last imp'd a bunch of tools, but this seems more intense than I remember to go from 45 to 70.

Edited by Aleck

29 minutes ago, Aleck said:

I'm also having this issue. 92.29 blacksmithing, 100 imbued hammer, and getting goofy things like an improvement tick of 63.25 to 63.54 - Anything past 60ish is getting tiny improvement ticks that are rapidly getting smaller and smaller. It feels more like I'm imping past 80 than 60.

Edit to add the below example of improving a single stone chisel from 45 to 70ql over the past few minutes:

45.68 to 47.14 to 49.17 to 50.91 to 52.95 to 54.86 to 56.50 to 58.53 to 59.71 to 61.77 to 62.48 to 62.94 to 62.85 to 63.64 to 64.30 to 65.88 to 66.38 to 67.63 to 68.40 to 68.72 to 69.71 to 70.53

I got curious and stuck those numbers in a graph.

wurmimping.png

There really does seem to be a change in the slope from the first point it hits after crossing 60 (61.77 in this case).

I've no idea if this is new or if it was always like that though. Do you have anything from older logs? What does that look like on a graph?

4 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

I got curious and stuck those numbers in a graph.

wurmimping.png

There really does seem to be a change in the slope from the first point it hits after crossing 60 (61.77 in this case).

I've no idea if this is new or if it was always like that though. Do you have anything from older logs? What does that look like on a graph?

Good question. I've never logged the gain numbers from imping before, only did it because I had the vague idea that I've pretty easily imp'd from, say, 45 to 49 or 62 to 64 in a single shot before, and now do not ever seem to do either. But I have no hard evidence of this. Maybe people who spend a lot more time imping than I do could provide more information or at least let us know if their feelings line up with my own vague hunch.

to be fair, now when ppl mentioned improvement ticks.. i haven't crafted a lot lately anyways, but yesterday i needed stone mine door to close freshly opened mine, and upon improving it i had a thought "damn, whys this so slow". i have 99 masonry but i really struggled to imp the door to 75ql and at that point i just gave up and attached it. usually going up to 85 QL with 95+ skills was kinda fast, only then it would slow down and 90+ would start to be slow-ish..

Edited by Skatyna

On 6/7/2022 at 2:51 PM, DevBlog said:

Change: The following actions can now be performed with an activated container containing the appropriate items, without having to activate the item itself. For example, you may now queue multiple sowing actions using a satchel containing seeds. This will allow you to fill your entire action queue without having to change toolbelt slots or activate different items in between actions. Each action will use the first valid item found inside the container. Items inside sub-containers (such as a seed inside a satchel inside a backpack) can be used, but items directly inside the activated container are given preference. The full list of supported actions is as follows:

• Sowing crops on dirt tiles
  • Planting sprouts on tiles
  • Planting hedges on tile borders
  • Planting flowers, grass, thatch, or reed on tiles
    • Planting things in pottery planters. To make this easier, selecting a toolbelt slot with a container will now, by default, activate the container instead of the first item found inside. This behaviour can be toggled on demand; clicking the same toolbelt slot again (or pressing the appropriate key binding, if any) will switch between activating the container and activating the item inside like before. This preference is set per toolbelt slot and is saved with the toolbelt arrangement.

I was so excited to plant some mushrooms in a large planter,s but that does not seem to be covered here. Is that by intention? (Should I post under suggestions and ideas)?

Ran into a little issue with a Basic Training journal, when I got to 12/13 entries completed I did not get the claim button, a player in CA Help stated they had the same issue earlier and a simple relog did the trick, I relogged and the claim button appeared

2 very minor issues:

Carrot cake does not count as a cake for the cooking journal

Paving in a mine does not count for the terraforming journal

Another issue, this one a little bit bigger:

3t3Vxeb.jpg?1

1ZP850u.jpg?1

Clue says it's a Freedom "TYPE" of tower, but it's not.  It's the silo.  It's on Freedom isles, but the style of tower isn't a freedom style.  

6 hours ago, Spacy said:

3t3Vxeb.jpg?1

1ZP850u.jpg?1

Clue says it's a Freedom "TYPE" of tower, but it's not.  It's the silo.  It's on Freedom isles, but the style of tower isn't a freedom style.  

Yeah it's likely taking the kingdom associated with the tower, not the model

14 hours ago, Spacy said:

3t3Vxeb.jpg?1

1ZP850u.jpg?1

Thanks, it is indeed intended to tell you what the appearance of the guard tower is, but that doesn't appear to be working properly here!

The cause of this has been identified and it will be fixed.

Edit: 

On 6/9/2022 at 5:06 PM, Spacy said:

2 very minor issues:

Carrot cake does not count as a cake for the cooking journal

Paving in a mine does not count for the terraforming journal

Forgot to mention these, which also have fixes in the works.

On 6/7/2022 at 1:51 PM, DevBlog said:

Change: The following actions can now be performed with an activated container containing the appropriate items, without having to activate the item itself. For example, you may now queue multiple sowing actions using a satchel containing seeds. This will allow you to fill your entire action queue without having to change toolbelt slots or activate different items in between actions. Each action will use the first valid item found inside the container. Items inside sub-containers (such as a seed inside a satchel inside a backpack) can be used, but items directly inside the activated container are given preference. The full list of supported actions is as follows:

• Planting sprouts on tiles

Can plant in center be added as it currently doesn't work from a container  correction when planting centered on to grass from a container it gives the following error "[09:53:23] You need to plant with a sprout, not a satchel."

Edited by lagston

FYI unless an oversight:

Leveling ceilings in a mine does not count toward any aspect of the treasure hunting.  Not for journal updates nor for clues.

Ok, so I've completed four maps so far. One partially done and thought I'd give my initial feedback on the new treasure map system.

So far I've done the clue about being under a guard tower. Luckily I live on Indy where Hugh and Sky have done an amazing job of logging the guard towers on the community map.  

I've also done the picture map, this one was far less fun to do.  First, there is no legend.  As in how do I know what the building icons are. The difference between the terrain markers vs what looked like water marks vs the decoration that is age spots.  There is also no scale, which would help a ton.   

After doing a post and getting feedback from others that I assume mucked through it until they figured it out. I found it not that bad to do them.  Sorta... I mean it could be worse, maybe.

But my main complaint is that doing the treasure maps is 100% reliant on going outside the game. And relies heavily on the community resources.  

On a island where the community map didn't mark out all the towers. It would be a nightmare.  

Wurm has a lot of issues with having to grab the wiki or in this case the outside the game forums.  There should be tools within the game, I should not have to have multiple monitors up just to do the treasure hunting. I am not actually exploring I'm playing find the picture. 

For finding ruins associated with the picture maps.  Why can't I have a map board, something like the big map in Conan Exiles. Where I can feed it arch tokens and search them like the highway system to make them glow?  Hot damn, a use for Arch token. A market even as people might want to complete their map of ancient deeds.

Why can't I use a compass and dioptra to narrow down where the treasure is. You know actually actively doing something in game, not scrolling around the zoomed in community map trying to line up roads.  Give it a cartography skill.   Hell, give us the skill and allow us to refine the maps, make them clearer and cleaner. Narrow down that hint circle.  Make it an actual in game activity.  

Maybe make the maps a bit clearer just to start? Or give a legend for what the different building icons mean.  

I know it is supposed to be old aged maps but do they have to look like a three year old dumped the water from using water colors on paper and smeared it with their fingers?  If I was drawing a map so I could later find my hidden treasure I'd at least make it half decent to read.  

Over all though I like the treasure maps so far. I just think they need tweaking and to avoid the main pitfall all of Wurm seems to have. Which is requiring outside resources to even do the most basic things.  Didn't the reason video by Josh about Wurm mention that? 

Just my 2 coppers, probably not even worth that much. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eleraan said:

Maybe make the maps a bit clearer just to start? Or give a legend for what the different building icons mean.  

Apparently the castles on maps are guard towers. I initially thought they were ruins. Go figure. 

But yeah I agree we should have a modding option to integrate 3rd party maps in the game. I mean why not use the map dumps in the first place? The map dumps are way more crisp and clear while the in game maps look poor when zoomed in.  

I don't like it either when I am stumped then forced to do a screenshot , then send the screenshot to people to figure out where the treasure is. I would like some ingame tools to do that instead of opening multiple applications for it. 

As I stated before, any mechanic that forces you to go outside of the game to complete something inside the game is not a good mechanic. Breaks any sort of immersion and emotional build up and simply boils down to min-maxing maps as fast as possible.

Maps are awesome so far!

One suggestion:

Would be cool if treasure maps can be added to the chests the spawn on the map that you have to pick to open or perhaps even the depot.  Seems fitting towards the theme of the content and would also encourage even further adventures!

Edited by thegrayfox

Players will have a chance to find treasure maps during rare rolls on the following actions:

• Digging

Including digging clay, tar, peat?

5 minutes ago, Xagru said:

Including digging clay, tar, peat?

Atleast clay. I would assume the others also, but i can only confirm clay from experience.

Sign in to follow this