Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Stop Animated Gifs in Avatars

Well, it is funny, for a while. But honestly, it causes kinematosis, nausea, and headache for some people. It is one of the reasons why I skip forums quite often, or try to hide the window behind others. I understand that there are funny and creative ideas behind, but it is simply molesting. My apologies.

• Like 7

I know we aren't supposed to just upvote, so I hearted the OP and would like so say this:

+ a googol.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, what? 

Instead of limiting a feature of 14 years because you don't like it, I decided to google and find a solution

https://wethegeek.com/how-to-disable-autoplaying-gifs-from-your-web-browser/

You can disable gifs autoplaying through your internet browser settings, which should clear up this issue here, and on any other site you might use. 

You could also use ublock origin to block any specific image you don't like too! 

Edited by Archaed

That resolves the issue. Thanks. It was not my intention to spoil your fun.

• Like 2

Have to agree, that's why made my gif so slow but still have a little fun. Suggest a toggle to disable gifs in this forum. So that people can enjoy gifs in other web sites without extra work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

I'm sorry, what? 

Your particular gif *is* really annoying.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

Your particular gif *is* really annoying.

Sorry about that, is this one better? 

• Like 4

I also sugest to prohibit players to wear blue t-shirts when playing game. Thinking that someone wear such color make me feel uncomfortable.

Kindly please also do something with sounds which comming from outside of my apratment These birds singing all the time makes me creazy!

I must admit I too was bothered by the flashy Avatars I just did not say anything, nor did I make the effort to personally google a solution. So while I agree with the OP that animated Avatars may be unpleasant for some viewers, I appreciate that a solution was offered that could instead create an enjoyable experience for everyone. Those who enjoy the animations and those who do not.

Edited by Huserx
Expanded my comment
  • Like 1

If you have adblock installed, you can also individually block an avatar with right-click > block element.

• Like 1

Freaking irritating, besides making me think the person screams for attention.
Not gonna use the word that came to mind but it starts with attention.

• Like 4

They never really bothered me and as has already been said it is possible in many browsers to disable them.

But maybe as a suggested improvement to the forum there could be an option built into the forums somewhere to disable these.

Edited by HawkHawk
  • Like 1

Where do i download this cute waifu gifs? So i can be truly unique and special

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

i have it disabled so i dont know that yours does now, but you are not helping the cause by changing it every week just to annoy people again if they blocked it.

i tried blocking them manually with an adblocker before but the same few people kept changing them every couple of days, making me have to block them again and again, so i disabled it on my browser.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Archaed said:

Yeah, it actually is.

The best way to draw an attention to add a toggle to disable gifs in this forum is to make an annoying flashy irritating avatar gif with the words "disable gifs" on it 🤭. I am count on Archaed to make it 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cecci said:

... making me think the person screams for attention

... like kids do... 😁

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

I actually have gifs because I seem to be the odd one out here, but I like putting in avatars for myself. 

Didn't know we were meant to do them for others, my bad

3 hours ago, Cecci said:

Freaking irritating, besides making me think the person screams for attention.
Not gonna use the word that came to mind but it starts with attention.

1 hour ago, Yaga said:

... like kids do... 😁

I think it'd be great to have this conversation without random slander towards folks who might use them. It's ultimately just another way for toxic behaviour to be created and fester in a community.

The ultimate solution is to have some sort of toggle for animated avatars, rather than just outright removing them, as was already stated. I think solutions baked into the forum, rather than done via addons or browser extensions is better, as it allows the options to be saved specifically to your account, so that sticks no matter where you are.

+1 for allowing a toggle, -1 for outright removal.

• Like 9

I'd also like to have an ability to toggle them on/off as well as an away to just outright turn off avatars. I use discord without avatars and most other things without avatars. I don't like them, generally.

Similar idea to Madnaths. Great suggestion friend and good outlook! 

There are a lot of people with cranial nerves injuries and deformations that are actually affected by things that flash or move in certain ways. They can experience vertigo, dizziness, seizures, etc. 

It's not necessarily rooted in preference, or lack there of, for moving, cute flash images. Just to really establish a basis beyond likes and dislikes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madnath said:

I think it'd be great to have this conversation without random slander towards folks who might use them. It's ultimately just another way for toxic behaviour to be created and fester in a community.

The ultimate solution is to have some sort of toggle for animated avatars, rather than just outright removing them, as was already stated. I think solutions baked into the forum, rather than done via addons or browser extensions is better, as it allows the options to be saved specifically to your account, so that sticks no matter where you are.

+1 for allowing a toggle, -1 for outright removal.

Can't agree more, at least to the second part. As to unnecessary polemics, me seems that not few players were annoyed or even physically suffering, and let out steam. I regret that as the one who started the discussion, I never wanted to blame or scold anyone, just the thing literally caused me headaches. And the idea of Arch's gif is or was certainly funny, at least for a while.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lyhrinae said:

There are a lot of people with cranial nerves injuries and deformations that are actually affected by things that flash or move in certain ways. They can experience vertigo, dizziness, seizures, etc. 

It's not necessarily rooted in preference, or lack there of, for moving, cute flash images. Just to really establish a basis beyond likes and dislikes. 

Absolutely, but therein lies the option to have moving images disabled at a browser level. 

Surely fixing the issue by having each website change according to that is a little extreme. 

I like having gifs because they're fun, the bubble image is one I've had with me for years, and I just liked the petting. Sorry if anyone has their attention stolen by it 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Content_Accessibility_Guidelines

https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-general-flash-and-red-flash-thresholds

general flash and red flash thresholds

flash or rapidly changing image sequence is below the threshold (i.e., content passes) if any of the following are true:

1. there are no more than three general flashes and / or no more than three red flashes within any one-second period; or
  2. the combined area of flashes occurring concurrently occupies no more than a total of .006 steradians within any 10 degree visual field on the screen (25% of any 10 degree visual field on the screen) at typical viewing distance

where:

• A general flash is defined as a pair of opposing changes in relative luminance of 10% or more of the maximum relative luminance where the relative luminance of the darker image is below 0.80; and where "a pair of opposing changes" is an increase followed by a decrease, or a decrease followed by an increase, and
  • A red flash is defined as any pair of opposing transitions involving a saturated red

Exception: Flashing that is a fine, balanced, pattern such as white noise or an alternating checkerboard pattern with "squares" smaller than 0.1 degree (of visual field at typical viewing distance) on a side does not violate the thresholds.

This is a guideline of how to balance the fun and the rules. If its too much to read, pretty much saying what twitch would do 

• Must not flash or flicker more than 3 times within a 1 second period

I suggest wurm can set up a simple rule like this. Or set up like

• May not flash or flicker more than 3 times within a 1 second period

It may fit the style of wurm rules more i guess.😳

Edited by Coach

Unfortunately, the forum system we use doesn't include the facility to allow or disallow animated images on a per-user basis.  For now, if this is something you're sensitive to, I can only recommend the browser-side solutions proposed above.

If this changes in the future, I'd have no issue turning it on.

• Like 1