Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

How much would you use the treasure hunt mechanic?

How much would you use the treasure hunt mechanic?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. As the treasure hunt mechanic stands - server time 4 June 2022, 1200 - how much would you use it?

• Every time I get a map/clue
    • Most of the time, unless I am too busy or the ql is too low to bother
    • Occasionally, if I have nothing else on and the ql is high enough to justify it
    • Rarely
    • Never

I am curious as to how many would actually use treasure hunting as it currently stands and how many wouldn't.  Feel free to give your reasons.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

I'm perfectly happy with the current system, except the archaeology clues of hell. I'd rather sell the maps then attempt that on live.

I seriously hope those clues get reworked.

• Like 1

I will use it, probably only the high ql map after a while. Expecting to be nerfed to the ground and made to be totally waste of time as another pointless feature in 3 months after launch, or sooner

• Like 2

I simply wouldn't use it, if it stays the way it is.  Currently the clues are too terrible.  It looks like it is intended to function as an adjunct to archaeology, which to me just completely kills it as "exploration" anyway, but even at that it functions as an incredibly poor adjunct to Arch.  

Edited by TheTrickster

Never use it. Haven't tried the exploration update launched in the test server. If people stream the update or make videos more, it would be nice to understand the new mechanic. 

I'm waiting for decent priest content before I re-preme.

This isn't it, and I am somewhat dubious as to how good it will be for free players.  Though, I will try to get a chess set made as a free player to see if it is possible for my guide!

After that, though, unless the rewards are decent for free players, I'll just keep tending my forest!

I cannot wait for this, the biggest shame is how few and far between the maps will be, maybe I'll have to buy them too 🤔

17 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

This isn't it, and I am somewhat dubious as to how good it will be for free players.  Though, I will try to get a chess set made as a free player to see if it is possible for my guide!

After that, though, unless the rewards are decent for free players, I'll just keep tending my forest!

The combat might be tough, but nothing is tied to skill, earning them or using them or the loot inside. No need to even prem for it as long as you're smart about any combat you encounter. 

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

I simply wouldn't use it, if it stays the way it is.  Currently the clues are too terrible.  It looks like it is intended to function as an adjunct to archaeology, which to me just completely kills it as "exploration" anyway, but even at that it functions as an incredibly poor adjunct to Arch.  

Tell me about it, I hate when skills in wurm require other skills. 😜

• Like 1

i dont expect to ever use it, but i knew that since it was announced, running around looking for clues is my idea of hell. so there is nothing they can do to make me like it. and that is ok.

Edited by Tpikol

Knowing what the drop rate would be for maps on release be nice..

Dont over complicate searching for them .

A large clue for first hint then a medium and then smaller is good enough depending on map lvl .

People come to have fun  , not make it a second job ..

So if it stay the way it is i will just skip it after a few maps come live ..

6 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Knowing what the drop rate would be for maps on release be nice..

Dont over complicate searching for them .

A large clue for first hint then a medium and then smaller is good enough depending on map lvl .

People come to have fun  , not make it a second job ..

So if it stay the way it is i will just skip it after a few maps come live ..

The drop rate is in the notes:

• Different difficulties, the harder the less common they will be but the larger the end rewards will be.
    • Novice(1/5 chance on rare roll)(1-29ql)
      • Will be between 2-3 steps long
      • Will have very small combat challenges occasionally.
      • Will not be terribly far from the locations they are found.
    • Challenging(1/10 chance on rare roll, supreme rolls will always give one)(30-59ql)
      • Can be 3-5 steps long
      • Will have decent sized and not infrequent combat challenges.
      • Will be a moderate distance from the locations they are found.
    • Difficult(1/25 chance on rare roll, fantastic rolls will always give one)(60 - 100ql)
      • Can be 4-6 steps long
      • Will always have difficult creatures to kill for most every step
      • Will be long distances away from the locations they are found.

I expect to get a number of maps from my daily foraging and botanizing, so I will be tempted to go out 😎. The prospect of less boring PvE combat also attracts me. Yet I have many other tasks and projects so don't expect to use it often. Tbh the rewards I consider a nice gimmick, no more, they would neither motivate nor demotivate me a lot. If finding clues is too time consuming and frustrating, I may drop it though.

Just read the dev updates, and I'm excited now. I'm so glad with the new reward potentials. The map system still seems like it could use some refinement, but pretty sure it's still reasonable to locate treasures, so I'm happy with that.

Hopefully it improves over time but I will probably not use it as it is right now. I liked the idea of it though but probably abit of work to do on it before I take it on.

I would like to be able to sell or trade the map.  Those that like to do them can buy them so its content for them

53 minutes ago, puncher said:

I would like to be able to sell or trade the map.  Those that like to do them can buy them so its content for them

selling lottery tickets, to not call it otherwise.. or how such trading starts as trend..

• Like 1

I just realised, this means we're more likely to know when that farming action was a supreme or fantastic roll 😭

• Cat 1

never, loot doesnt seem worth it, and if they dont somehow maintain it(adding/changing loot drops etc) i believe this will be yet another thing that will die out fast.

Really wish they would add some group activity instead of this, after all this is an "MMO".

19 hours ago, puncher said:

18 hours ago, Finnn said:

selling lottery tickets, to not call it otherwise.. or how such trading starts as trend..

I'd like to buy 10 please,

but to be fair. It is no difference then using rare's to create a rare. Except this treasure hunting is more fun in my view. Which a game should be <fun>.

4 hours ago, Votip said:

waste of time

And development resources

I will be lucky to get 1 every so often.  I will gather 5-10, and then when I have a free day I will try them.  From my experience on test, about 1 in 7-8 maps/steps will end in a dead end.  The others will move me forward.  That being the case, it will mean half the maps are going to just suck - those I may try to sell off (and good luck to those who can figure it out), and the few treasures I get will be nice.  The bad clue = failure rate is what is going to just suck.

• Like 1

until the map shows where i'm at on it I'm not going exploring/traveling lol.

Spent way too many nights lost spending hours upon hours trying to find my way home.  No thanks

• Like 1

I like it.

I like the thought of riding out with a friend or two, with the expectation that there will be a decent fight or two along the way, and then taking turns to pick a bit of loot. For me this seems like a nice option for a way to spend an evening.

• Like 2

I enjoyed doing my first adventure.  It got me off my deed.  In the process, I found a fallen deed that I looted, 15 or so boxes of dumped herbs and vegetables that I looted.  I killed a multitude of critters increasing various skill gains.  Improved on my orienteering.  Said hello to a neighbor that was just a bit our of local range and had  a nice conversation.  Found the treasure and returned home.

I think this is the point of the maps, it's not so much the loot gains although I think at some point maybe there will be a very nice drop, its more about getting out into your surroundings once in awhile instead of a full day of diggy, diggy.  This has added a new FUN aspect to the game that can only help keep/attract more players and player returns.  I do agree with Sheffy that it would be fun to get a small group to band together for some of the more challenging maps.  This also improves the brief excitement level of getting an MoI while raking your farm or hacking away at some stone.

Also, I have heard ZERO complaints about animal husbandry with this update.  That alone is a WIN!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I like the thought of riding out with a friend or two, with the expectation that there will be a decent fight or two along the way, and then taking turns to pick a bit of loot. For me this seems like a nice option for a way to spend an evening.

Nice.  Particularly for the high ql maps, with a grouping of conditioned and/or champion guardians at each stop, a group mini-quest would be the way to go and would make it all the more enjoyable.  On the plus side, you could trade the map between you to take turns digging, and to get the best archaeologist on the job when needed.

6 hours ago, Serzane said:

I enjoyed doing my first adventure.  It got me off my deed.  In the process, I found a fallen deed that I looted, 15 or so boxes of dumped herbs and vegetables that I looted.  I killed a multitude of critters increasing various skill gains.  Improved on my orienteering.  Said hello to a neighbor that was just a bit our of local range and had  a nice conversation.  Found the treasure and returned home.

Maybe that is a big part of what I am missing.  The only bit in all of that that I wasn't already doing is "found the treasure".  Actually, for me, I already find treasure all the time.  A pile of nearly decayed items from some long fallen deed is a cool find for me.  A forest with a little paved area containing a bed, a chest and a fireplace is fun discovery.   If this update introduces people to this aspect of the game, and increases their tendency to go awandering, then that makes it a good addition.