Sign in to follow this  
manthium

Several ideas: customization, cities and terrain altering events

42 minutes ago, Katrat said:

I often do the same when I have the time. But that is limited to my local. When I run into these obstacles while distance traveling there's not much I can do but try and find a way around without getting disembarked by that lovely glitch that likes to toss me out of my cart when I turn to often on a steep slope.

keep reporting the glitch every time it happens, else you'll just have two problems or keep fixing another to not run into the first problem

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

keep reporting the glitch every time it happens, else you'll just have two problems or keep fixing another to not run into the first problem

I get disembarked at least once a week sometimes several times a day. I've reported it multiple times before yet nothing has ever come of it. I'll see an occasional post saying the disembarking bugs been fixed yet it still happens. So I have to call BS on that. It happens most often when leaving a mine/cave but the turning on the steep slope one still happens too. I'm just more able to avoid the steep slopes than mine exits so I die less from a fall when tossed out of my cart. So yes I'm all for a bit of natural terrain leveling since it would help in that regard.

Edited by Katrat

I agree that the disembarking stuff still exists to some extent, but got significantly better. It seems to be a complex issue having to do with location tracking of player character and moving object, and their syncronization server wise. I am now able to turn my ships 180° without being thrown off every time, also often stay on cart or wagon when it stops on a slope. My impression is that the problem is known and worked on. I would much appreciate some technical explanation and sitrep if Keenan or another dev ever gets the time to do so.

• Like 1

I have been disembarked many times when turning a boat at high(ish) speed, especially when the connection is laggy.  I am pretty sure I can see how that is happening (in a broad sense).  I have decided to RP it and consider it getting thrown overboard on a tight turn, so I take smaller turns at high speed of slow down for tight turns.

Likewise if I lose connection while sailing, I will generally find my character and my boat are several tiles apart.

I have almost never been disembarked from a vehicle.  I used to get tossed from my horse when leaving tunnels quite frequently.

Edited by TheTrickster

On 6/1/2022 at 8:50 AM, manthium said:

Cities with rental options: (reduced 'upkeep' but not owned by you directly)
This one would be a fairly complex undertaking and require potential CA+ involvement to act as a 'city lord' or similar title.. (to avoid abuse of position and ensure fairness.
This adds a niche that would benefit Wurm with it's constant ebb and flow of player engagement as deed holders or sections of a community stop playing then the others either patter out or go to pastures new.
The premise is that a city of fairly decent size with or without walls (depending on the player base as a whole's preference) where plots of land were available to rent (this would be noticeably cheaper than upkeep
but obviously come with constraints such as paying your rent or losing your property (it being sold off at auction should you disappear without settling you account rather than decaying to dust in some locked box somewhere)
as well as having to behave according to the general niceties of civilisation.
This would enable players who don't have high skills/ lots of time or real world money to invest in a deed but also add to the feel of community as people would be clustered in areas around cities. (farms etc) as well as spattered around the map in 'wilderness' settlements (what we have now)
The plots could be used for personal (small and medium plots) or businesses: shops, inns, smithies etc (medium or large plots) and perhaps 1 or 2 extra large plots for a market in each city. Obviously there would be no punishment moreso than there is now for being a hermit out in the woods you'd just not have the community feel around you)

I also saw the need for this, but I saw it differently, I felt that Wurm needed a proper starting town, somewhere new players could go to skill up in safety, wether preem or not, kind a deciding time. What do you want to be or do, is this even the game for you. We all know wurm itself caters to a certain type of player. So I simply went about creating the town I thought a starter town should be. As such we have spirit guards to protect new players should any of our more experienced players not be on, skilling shops of almost every type, outfitted with the proper equipement for use. All players become members of the town on a temp basis with thier own rooms in a dorm, fully stocked with bed, storage, a meditation rug and a little decor for comfort. There they stay for a week or so before deciding if they want to become a permanent member of the village, or create thier own deed. If they choose to stay they get a building plot, if they choose to deed, they are free to stay in the dorm as long as they feel they need to gain the skill to strike out on thier own. They build their tools, assist on deed with tasks that need doing, help the ones that are newer to the game than they are, make thier carts and move on. Since many players are still in the "Is this the game for me?" stage at this point, they dont have the funds to "rent" anything as they are playing in FTP mode. But they still want security and help to learn the things they dont know, and prepare for striking out on thier own. This was my resolution to a "city model" and it works quite well, I currently have about 16 full time residents, and helped many players learn to enjoy wurm and decide to stay long term building thier own deeds and becoming very successful and productive Wurmian deed owners in their own right. And for those that saddly decide the game is not for them, when their FTP char times out, they are removed from the roster, and thier room cleared for the next player. 

Oh and just so my chime is added on the other items, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of customization, and have had more than a few thoughts of my own related more to creature comforts in the home (blankets, tablecloths, curtains, hooks for the walls etc.)  Terrain altering I am a little split on, I think that leaving old deeds for reclamation by others is fun and seeing the ruins where someone once was can be fun to explore when you come on them, but at the same time, mother nature does what it does in RL and I think it would be a good addition to wurm as well. 

Edited by LynD
finishing thoughts
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LynD said:

Terrain altering I am a little split on, I think that leaving old deeds for reclamation by others is fun and seeing the ruins where someone once was can be fun to explore when you come on them, but at the same time, mother nature does what it does in RL and I think it would be a good addition to wurm as well. 

Would be nice  to see stuff like...  buildings  not actually decaying to 0 but rather to a ruin state. While it might take a while to bring them down it will also give some skills and materials. Shouldn't be encouraged to destroy ruins everywhere.

Dunno I just have a romantic view of ruins...

In my city, when they built the national park (over a century ago), they built a ruined castle into it. Ruins have something interesting about them. I think it makes us think about the ephemerality of things in this life. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LynD said:

I also saw the need for this, but I saw it differently, I felt that Wurm needed a proper starting town, somewhere new players could go to skill up in safety, wether preem or not, kind a deciding time. What do you want to be or do, is this even the game for you. We all know wurm itself caters to a certain type of player. So I simply went about creating the town I thought a starter town should be. As such we have spirit guards to protect new players should any of our more experienced players not be on, skilling shops of almost every type, outfitted with the proper equipement for use. All players become members of the town on a temp basis with thier own rooms in a dorm, fully stocked with bed, storage, a meditation rug and a little decor for comfort. There they stay for a week or so before deciding if they want to become a permanent member of the village, or create thier own deed. If they choose to stay they get a building plot, if they choose to deed, they are free to stay in the dorm as long as they feel they need to gain the skill to strike out on thier own. They build their tools, assist on deed with tasks that need doing, help the ones that are newer to the game than they are, make thier carts and move on. Since many players are still in the "Is this the game for me?" stage at this point, they dont have the funds to "rent" anything as they are playing in FTP mode. But they still want security and help to learn the things they dont know, and prepare for striking out on thier own. This was my resolution to a "city model" and it works quite well, I currently have about 16 full time residents, and helped many players learn to enjoy wurm and decide to stay long term building thier own deeds and becoming very successful and productive Wurmian deed owners in their own right. And for those that saddly decide the game is not for them, when their FTP char times out, they are removed from the roster, and thier room cleared for the next player. 

Oh and just so my chime is added on the other items, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of customization, and have had more than a few thoughts of my own related more to creature comforts in the home (blankets, tablecloths, curtains, hooks for the walls etc.)  Terrain altering I am a little split on, I think that leaving old deeds for reclamation by others is fun and seeing the ruins where someone once was can be fun to explore when you come on them, but at the same time, mother nature does what it does in RL and I think it would be a good addition to wurm as well. 

When I first started I had the good fortune of running into a player who was starting a town much like yours. It really did help me immensely and is one of the chief reasons I still play today. I have to agree that starter towns are not towns at all and really should be called starter zones.

5 hours ago, Idlamn said:

Dunno I just have a romantic view of ruins...

So do I. When I see a ruin I see a history. Someone once lived there, toiled there and built there. It does have a mystique. And if I knew those who were there it's a fitting memorial of times past. So though I am Fo and a nature lover I find these ruins much more fascinating than another patch of random trees.

• Like 2