Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

Exploration: Part 1 - Public Testing Round 2!

2 hours ago, Skatyna said:

lets be honest - everything I have highlighted in RED in the quote above are completely useless and unnecessary. Nobody wants the filler trash and 99% of players will leave it to decay trashing the areas. Get rid of it completely. Instead you can add chances to get past item skins that were monthly skin at some point or a special jackal skin. It makes no sense already having design and development done on the items but us being unable to get them no more. Also new players are completely excluded from past skins. Make use of that.

Moonmetal lump every now and again could be also added. A little more of that precious metal overall could open up new market possibilities in game too.  

Rest of the reward list items seems ok, some less, some more valuable, but they all are of some value to be worthwhile the treasure hunt. So better make the chest contain 1 or 2 items of some value in total, rather than filling it just for the sake of filling...

I would've loved getting some 

• Fragments of a dioptra

When I was a newer player because I really wanted to create bridges.  I would find item skins to be worthless cause what point do they have apart from looks?   Not worth it in my view.

I would take those extra filler items too cause hey, free mats!  

26 minutes ago, Shydow said:

I am pretty sure this is correct. Not every item is going to be the high-end items. The filler gives the chests some character, plus the post said they'd be of generally higher QL, which is useful. I don't think it is a bad idea to have these.

Yeah but let's look at it from 6 months in the future. 

Once players get accustomed to the new contents, low ql maps will either just be discarded because they have such filler items or just quickly sold off for maybe a silver in chat. Or even lower than that if too many people end up selling them.

Filler is exactly that - something you use for padding before you get to the important stuff. People won't be treasure hunting for filler, see the issue? People want treasure. Not filler or trash items. 

That's the point of the update from the perspective of every player I've talked to about this new content. People want treasure. Not trash. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, elentari said:

People want treasure. Not trash.

the only problem here is that not everyone shares the same idea of what treasure is. For some just your basic common items is treasure enough. 

Edited by Tomatoes
correction

Just now, Budda said:

Contour lines will be on (newly generated) maps next time the test server restarts.

oh thank gods. Thank you Devs for all the hard work ❤️

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tomatoes said:

the only problem here is that not everyone shares the same idea of what treasure is. For some just your basic common items is treasure enough. 

Basic common items can be gathered in bulk with less time investment than roaming around servers for a pelt. 

Wemp? Plant some, you can harvest 1000 in a week. Iron? Mine some, can get 1000 in a day. There are a lot of vets out there including myself who can happily mine 90 ql iron for any newbie if they simply just ask, no money involved. 

31 minutes ago, elentari said:

People won't be treasure hunting for filler, see the issue? People want treasure. Not filler or trash items. 

Exactly my point also. Be it a small chance, but I would still hunt them even I get 5 source salts or 1 sleep powder or 3 gems in a chest knowing I had a roll at some item even little in value but still of some value to put the effort in. Fill it with trash I have thousands in BSBs - I wont even bother unless I get one 80 QL map once a year to hunt, making all this huge addition to the game just useless..  And given the rate we will be getting these maps I bet average players will average 1 map a week at best anyways, so it WILL BE RARE

I see the excitement of a new player finding 10 iron lumps of 80QL. WoW, but 2-6 months down the line the same player will mine better stuff himself once again making the filler items useless trash..

Edited by Skatyna
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, elentari said:

Yeah but let's look at it from 6 months in the future. 

Once players get accustomed to the new contents, low ql maps will either just be discarded because they have such filler items or just quickly sold off for maybe a silver in chat. Or even lower than that if too many people end up selling them.

Filler is exactly that - something you use for padding before you get to the important stuff. People won't be treasure hunting for filler, see the issue? People want treasure. Not filler or trash items. 

That's the point of the update from the perspective of every player I've talked to about this new content. People want treasure. Not trash. 

Sure, people want treasure, not trash. But to me, opening a treasure chest, and seeing a single item inside, would be disappointing, regardless of how good the item is. The filler (when awarded WITH the good items) gives the treasures character. As if some ancient Wurmian pirate squirreled away some valuable animal skins, some gold / silver nuggets, and other random items. The maps aren't about just getting the filler, and I agree, a treasure that was just filler items would be not worth it at all, but without filler, the main loot doesn't feel as special.

• Like 12

Just now, elentari said:

There are a lot of vets out there including myself who can happily mine 90 ql iron for any newbie if they simply just ask, no money involved.

oh to be sure, however i would much rather earn the stuff, even if that means going out and exploring. its less energy used then sitting in one spot on the server for me.

but then you also say this:

2 minutes ago, elentari said:

Wemp? Plant some, you can harvest 1000 in a week. Iron? Mine some, can get 1000 in a day.

when i hear that i hear 'why are you not trying hard enough? do you not know how to play the game?' and it kinda discourages. 

I know its not your intention to have it mean that way - its not like you would understand that, due to the severity of some of my crossed senses, some tasks i do i use 2.3x more energy then someone who is moderately fit and without any major disabilities

9 hours ago, jaytoo said:

I'm ok with the difficulty. It seems like everyone expects to find every map in 30 min on here. I'm fully expecting some maps to be unsolvable and that's fine to me. Just make sure the epic rewards reflect the large amount of work put in and then it's fine.

I think the majority of complaints aren't "they should all take less than 30 min" so much as "they shouldn't ALL take hours, tedious hours, of frustrating work for each of multiple stages."  (I know it isn't ALL, but it is many, and they drown out the rest).

The occasional map being subjectively unsolvable would not be great but wouldn't be a major issue.  I have found that in round 2 of testing, about 1/3 of the maps are effectively useless to me.  When every search is a minimum of two maps long and can be as many as 6 steps long - the chances of getting a solvable string of clues diminishes considerably.  By "solvable" I mean actually determining where to search, not just spamming "dig for treasure" over whole map grids.

Sadly, in its current state, any maps I get in production are likely to just be discarded.

I am not likely to get many anyway, because I spend a lot of time exploring rather than grinding (I do hope the problem is apparent in that statement).

Edited by TheTrickster

31 minutes ago, Shydow said:

The maps aren't about just getting the filler, and I agree, a treasure that was just filler items would be not worth it at all

Well, as long as there will be "something" worthwhile the time spent in the box then it doesn't make the difference for me personally, can always leave the filler where I find it. I was under the impression and from some testing I've done that the low QL maps literally give you just the filler so wasn't  worth even bothering...

Would it be beneficial if the hint is a ring instead of a circle?  

Don't know if bug or feature.  

Had 2 maps same tower - clicked dig and got 1 chest.  Dug again and got the second.

Had 3 maps for an obelisk.  Dug once and got all 3 chests.

My main complaint right now about how the maps have changed is if I wanted to do Archeology to locate a cache i would just do Archeology. We are being forced to actually just do an Arch grind now for high end maps as the maps give no hints or clues on the map that can guide you in the right direction. I do not want to spend hours searching for a disbanded deed or one that was planted when servers launched for hours on end I have searched the entire circle and found a ton of deeds but none of which were the one that I needed. 

2bfJJ3W.png

• Like 3

I have had quite a few requests to see the new journal updates.  As my test toon doesn't have any levels unlocked (except the 1st) I was wondering if someone has some screenshots they can share?

45 minutes ago, Spacy said:

I have had quite a few requests to see the new journal updates.  As my test toon doesn't have any levels unlocked (except the 1st) I was wondering if someone has some screenshots they can share?

You could do the tasks on them to unlock them 

37 minutes ago, Archaed said:

You could do the tasks on them to unlock them 

Ask an ye shall receive:

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

This is what i have so far.

Edited by Tomatoes

We've edited the colour palette slightly for the maps to be more accessible - maps generated after the next test server update will have the new colours. For those that have been having issues with the colours, please let us know if they're better than previously.

Edit: Next client update also adds a right click option on hint circles to hide them.

• Like 4

The biggest problems I have are not the maps that involve actual maps but those with tower hints. It may work if the tower in question is in a developed area next to a street, but finding one in an area of 3x3 map squares (or more) in the middle of a olive or fir forest with no more than the inscription of the tower is more luck than anything else. To find one of theese you have to fine comb the entire area, riding at full speed through the forest while (on live with its higher mob density) not getting eaten. It would probably easier to aggro a mob, spam help and then look out for tower guards and the direction they come from. I doubt that is the intended way to get a treasure...

For now I usually simply just give up after an hour or two of searching.

It would be a lot easier if the tower hints would include a map (it would also be consistent with the other types of treasure hunts) that shows the surrounding area of the tower.

27 minutes ago, Bekador said:

It would probably easier to aggro a mob, spam help and then look out for tower guards and the direction they come from.

I was genuinely tempted to try that the other night.  No mobs, though.

Just going to ask again for scraps of drake hide/dragon scale and fragments of tomes to be added to the higher end loot table please.

Thank you.

PS:

There's only so much testing the dozen or so players that have been over can do, hopefully when it goes live it doesn't break too much other stuff.

• Like 1

I was working on a 97 ql treasure map last night and this morning and i've pretty much given up. I spend hours marking out the disbanded deed with pack tiles, digging for treasure all along the perimeter, and nothing. The clue says "somewhere near by" and i have no idea how far away it could be from a 50x50 tiled deed 😕.

It is a disbanded deed you have to find with archaeology, total nightmare clue.

The clue does have a huge X in the north part of the deed, but combing the area north of my pack tiles produced nothing.

Edited by Rocklobster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gumbert said:

Just going to ask again for scraps of drake hide/dragon scale and fragments of tomes to be added to the higher end loot table please.

Agreed here. If you really want wurmians to get really engaged with this content, offer this in the loot table. This pretty much guarantees a lot of people will be on board with the idea of going out to hunt :) 

• Like 3

Also maybe replace regular gems with charged gems.

really wish you hadn't taken this out, =( The map hint doesn't help much at all.

• Removed distance estimation on examination.
Edited by Aelha
  • Like 1